The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Augers. Propane or Gas. What do you guys think is best  (Read 2594 times)

Offline nightbite

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Augers. Propane or Gas. What do you guys think is best
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2016, 12:19 AM »
I'm the same way. I have never had or used electric auger. But I was in construction and had all the cordless stuff that was out. It ran really well for the first year or so then it was a crap shoot after that.  And never let that battery freeze with a low or no charge on it. That is battery death.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2016, 12:43 AM »
The jiffy pro 4 was an epic fail for me. Didn't hold up to the cold. Wouldn't start or run at -15 to -20.. Sold it and going back to the good ol 2 stroke

Offline hunt101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:44 PM »

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:26 PM »
if I didn't love my ion so much...I would probably be inclined to go propane....don't let the expensive replacement battery cost dissuade you...there are many benefits of electric...no noise...no smell...etc.... I have made my living utilizing cordless tools....my last porter cable finally crapped out after 5 yrs...and maybe it had something to do with how terribly I treated it....left it to freeze on low charge may have well been its demise...I am on season 2 with the ion...yes I baby the battery...when I get home I top off the charge..if I am away from home I bring it in with me.....but man..oh man.. it cut 30 holes yesterday in 10 inches of ice....easy stevie....and PA is right..you can hold a cup of coffee in one hand while operating it....and although I have never met mike....can you imagine a better review coming from a man that holds many a tourney and probably blasts more holes in a yr than most of us do in a lifetime.....loving my ion!!!!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:29 PM »
For what it's worth. I just pulled the battery off my strikemaster lithium, haven't used it since last season. It's sat in the shed since  the end of last season attatched to the auger, through every type of weather that we've had until now. And it still reads 3/4 charge.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:36 PM »
sweet...glad the battery is doing well....at $150 per replacement I will side with a more cautious anal approach...

Offline Yelloweyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:53 PM »
I can't say enough good things about my Jiffy propane auger.  Its heavy but it always starts...  ALWAYS.  A buddy and I fished this last weekend at causeway, 2 pulls and it was running.  i'm glad I brought it because my buddy brought his strike master and it wouldn't run.  wouldn't have been able to fish without it.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:38 PM »
sweet...glad the battery is doing well....at $150 per replacement I will side with a more cautious anal approach...

Just FYI, Glen's has Ion batteries for $135, shipping included.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline RicA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2016, 10:39 PM »
I really like my Jiffy Pro4.  Plenty of power and starts with one or two pulls.  The darn plastic handle on the starter cord did break today though.  Not a big deal but they should be made of something better than plastic.

Offline Cooprock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:42 PM »
Agree, I really like my pro4 as well. One thing I noticed during the first oil change was the oil had a milky color to it. Called jiffy and was told it was due to using propane fuel and to be expected. Now I just change the oil several times during the season, just to be safe.

Offline xman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Currently have an Eskimo m43.  Always starts never more then 4 pulls.  The only flaw is the Gas Tank leaks where the bolts attach the tank to the frame.  Have had to goop it together about once a year.  Otherwise it is pretty much a claw hammer.  My fishing partners run a Frabill not allot of power but seems to always run.  the other has a strikemaster 4 stroke, it has a plastic auger that ices up and blades are hard to find.  I think the Eskimo is hard to beat for the price.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I have 2 strikemaster gas augers and a jiffy pro4 propane.
All have been bullet proof.
Put a foam wrap around propane tank with a hot hands warmer in it if its to cold out, have ran it at -30 no problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.