Author Topic: 2016 4th Annual Iceshanty GTG, Thanks to everyone that came. Great Time!!  (Read 7398 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: 2016 4th Annual Iceshanty GTG in Utah, Everyones welcome
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Really hoping to not have a repeat from last year but Pack-fans trip up there yesterday was not very encouraging. The next few nights are supposed to be getting down into the teens for temps but that gradually warms up by Saturday. Me and fishon1 are still planning a recon trip up Thursday night and will report on what we find. I'm going to park on the road where you turn into port ramp and ride my sled in from there. We will take a drive to the access areas and see how they are doing and try and determine the best spot to take machines on. It's sounding like port is going to be the best but driving in there with a truck and trailer is a joke this year. Fishon1 still has the planks from the 2014 GTG we used at port ramp and we will have them with us Saturday so it should not be an issue for people getting on at any location.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:32 AM »
Just so we can have an alternate place to go if the view's edges go by Saturday what's everyone else think? I have hit up happyheber about the berry in the location we went last year. There's rockport or echo also if we can get a report on conditions. Just don't know how the edges/machine access is doing at them either. Lets here some ideas guys?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Musky I will do a drive by at the Berry today and check conditions. Want to check to make sure the storage yard is open so we can get trailers turned around. Any location is good with me.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:38 AM »
 Ryan and I are going to fish Lake on Sunday. Probably too far for most guys to travel, but all are welcome.  Would East Canyon have good ice still?  Even lost Creek might not be too far for you northern guys. I do like Pineview though,  for slabs and perch.  More important than nice, what's for breakfast?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:43 AM »
Musky I will do a drive by at the Berry today and check conditions. Want to check to make sure the storage yard is open so we can get trailers turned around. Any location is good with me.

Perfect Gale, Are you just riding a just wheeler or do you have a sled also? I have heard that the boat ramp is really the only place wheelers can get on the ice there now with the snow depths. Its no biggie to ride from there to where we fished last year or wherever. Would just like to have this where its accessible for everyone

Ryan and I are going to fish Lake on Sunday. Probably too far for most guys to travel, but all are welcome.  Would East Canyon have good ice still?  Even lost Creek might not be too far for you northern guys. I do like Pineview though,  for slabs and perch.  More important than nice, what's for breakfast?

Wish I could do fish lake with you guys Joe  :'( but its going to be enough for me if we head to the berry. As for breakfast ??? guess it depends where we end up at. I was planning on heading up bright and early 430-5am to the view on Saturday morning to get in on some early dark crappie bite (this has been the most productive time this year) but if this goes down somewhere else I'm good with eating wherever. I believe east canyon is worse than the view for open edges/conditions. Icecutterion was up at lost this weekend and said the edges were getting soft. The biggest problem there is access, only sleds can get on there right now if I've been hearing correctly and walkers have to hike the dam which is a steep mother. To be honest we can do the view but its just going to be a bit more work on what we want to get out on the ice. The planks fishon1 has will get us on for sure. There's good parking at cemetery, browning and the narrows but the way it sounds right now access for sleds (pending verification Thursday) is only going to be at port ramp and that's if you park up on the main road in the turn lane and ride down in there. I'm almost positive we will need planks to get off by the time the temps warm up Saturday at every location. I have no problem with that if everyone else is good

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:24 PM »
I hope Pineview  edges hold up. If not strawberry could work. If you have to park by the boat ramp, it is only a 5 min. Sled or wheeler ride to where you fished last year. I hope Pineview is accessible. Either works for me.

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Did my drive by at Strawberry, man it's still winter there was 14* when I left at 11 AM. The parking is the same at the spot we were last year but the snow is about two feet deeper. Easy turn around in the storage yard.I don't think that wheelers would make it to the ice from there very easy if at all.  I would probably park at the marina and do the short drive around to where we were. Would be happy to ferry others out if needed. There is also  easy access at the ladders. Have had some good reports on the fish being shallow and abundant. If you haven't fished the ladders ,it's a little further down the highway to mile marker 45. That's approx 4.6 miles from the turn off for Strawberry Bay Marina. As a back up I think that the Berry will work. Wish I had taken some gear with me lol.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Sounds like a good time to bring my snow machine. I will leave the wheeler home and give it a try. See you all soon!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Hey everyone sorry I have not been on here much got a lot going on but I will be there and I will be bring my small ball and chain and her friend see everyone Saturday  hey joe drive safe

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Thanks for taking the scouting drive Gale, I guess the best thing to do would be move it to the berry. With kids and wheelers getting on the ice there will be much safer for all. Unless somebody else has a better place to hit from the marina, I say the ladders works fine for me. I done well fishing around the island west of there or where ever as long as we can get away from the high pressure areas close to the parking lot. We will bringing 3 sleds with us so shuttling people and gear wont be a problem along with others that will be bringing machines. Do we want to do breakfast at the same place as last year? I forget the name, right next to mountainland stop

Sounds like a good time to bring my snow machine. I will leave the wheeler home and give it a try. See you all soon!

Hey just make sure you fill the tank on that bad boy  ;) cant wait to see the mods you've done on that thing in person
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:01 PM »
Can you get a wheeler on the ice at the ladders?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:07 PM »
You can Matt, I had a conversation with Gale(geezergonewild) earlier and he said its good to go there. He also ride a wheeler and will have it up there
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:13 PM »
Yes we can get on the ice with wheelers at the ladders, then a short ride to the island that Musky mentioned. There is also plenty of room for trailers there. I think the name of the breakfast stop was the Hub Restaurant.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Yep that was it, The hub. Is everyone good with meeting up for some eats before a day on the ice? Anyone not could just meet us at the ladders parking lot. I think if I remember right they open at 6 which should put us on the ice around light (7ish) if we get in there at opening.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2016, 07:25 AM »
I will meet you up at the berry.

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2016, 08:26 AM »
The Hub at 6AM works for me.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #46 on: Feb 24, 2016, 09:16 AM »
Hey I will meet you up at the berry.  :)  I would like to know if anyone would like to fish on my Vexlar FL-18 for the day. I have an extra to bring. Could meet you on the ice with it.  :)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:04 AM »
I will meet you up at the berry.

That works Matt

The Hub at 6AM works for me.

Great now I'm hungry, 6am works for us

Hey I will meet you up at the berry.  :)  I would like to know if anyone would like to fish on my Vexlar FL-18 for the day. I have an extra to bring. Could meet you on the ice with it.  :)

Sounds good Happyheber, very nice of you to offer up the vex. That's a great opportunity for someone that is interested in getting one to try it out. Is the ladders ok for you? I know you fish the berry more than most of us do and do you fish over by that island very often?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Yes that's what I thought somebody would enjoy fishing off of it falling in love with it. I'll bring it just in case somebody would like to borrow it. Me and  DaBomb will be up and maybe the Mrs. Bomb. Our plan is to be there shortly after 6:30. And ride out towards the island. Where would you like to set up at the North end or the south end of the island? The south end has a little island protruding off of the big island. Looks like it could be a place for shallow fishing. Then it drops off pretty fast. That Island is the original knoll. The last time I fished there I was a kid and my old man would throw a couple cans of corn. And man would the fishing start. I suggest we meet at the south end at the small island. What do you guys suggest? By the way is everybody bringing radios? I'm trying to remember the channels you run on. Is it channel 7? Anybody can give me a holler if you need a tow out. Be happy to come get ya. I drove up to take a couple pics of the parking lot to show everybody how easy the access is. I believe 2 wheel drive wheelers could make it. Let me know if there is something else. If there is going to be somebody else there at dark thirty. I will be in a 4 door dodge.   Hey I'm just going to throw this out there and you can tell me Saturday what you think. I'd like to do an Ice Shanty get together at Fish Lake maybe next year. I know fish lake like the back of my hand. We could fish for splake. Maybe get lucky on a Mack. And then move in and pound the Perch. Fish Lake has good ice for the whole month of March. Some times you will have the whole lake to yourself. :)  Tight Lines.
Oh yay by the way the ice looks good. Temperature was 15 degrees at noon. 25 degrees at 1:30.

Offline johnnycake

• IceShanty Rookie
man this sounds like fun!  I'll try to convince the wife to let me come

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
I suggest we meet at the south end at the small island. What do you guys suggest? By the way is everybody bringing radios? I'm trying to remember the channels you run on. Is it channel 7? I'd like to do an Ice Shanty get together at Fish Lake maybe next year. Temperature was 15 degrees at noon. 25 degrees at 1:30.

Meeting up at the south end works for me, I haven't fished that side yet. Usually end up staying in that cove on the north side or the little bay straight north across the water towards shore. All that area around that island works great as a wind break on the bad days. I forget what channel but will see if fishon1 will grab his radio, 7 works. We'll talk about Fish lake, it sounds like a plan to me. Never fished there and hate that I cant make the trip with prospector and woofy on sunday. Loving those temps up there. Thanks for the pics

man this sounds like fun!  I'll try to convince the wife to let me come

It should be a great time johnycake, I'll be checking this post all the way up until we get done eating breakfast Saturday morning so just let us know if your going to make it and we'll keep an eye out for you
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline johnnycake

• IceShanty Rookie
How long will everybody be up there? I'll be coming with my 3 year old daughter for sure, probably showing up around 9? I'll be sure to bring a radio and tune to channel 7 so I can meet up with you all.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
We should be making a full day of it. We usually fish till 3ish maybe longer if the bite is good.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
My son and I are planning on making it up Sat. We will probably just meet at the lake at 7. Will be in a white Ford Crew cab with topper and a snowmobile in tow. Don't know my way around Strawberry per say we usually fish Soldier Creek side in summer for kokes. I do know where the ladders are we bow hunt just a bit farther up the road. Looking forward to meeting some Iceshantyites. @)

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will be at the ladders parking lot around 6:00-6:30 with my 2 kids, grey dodge 4 door with a rack in the bed for the 4 wheeler. channel 7 and sub channels? Or just  channel 7.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
Ok so talking with everyone that replied for breakfast we have decided to for go the hub and head right to the lake to get all the time on the ice we can do. You know what they say "early bird gets the worm". Me, fishon1 and icecutterion will meet everyone else at the ladders lot at 630ish. We will be in a dark grey ford F350 with a 4place enclosed sled trailer. As for radio channel, just 7. Geezer if there's anything else you want us to bring for the dog cooking let us know. Pack-fan, fishon1 and icecutter have asked what else they could bring. Thanks for jumping on the condiments liv2hunt. Hey Johnycakes just give us a shout on the radio when you get there and we will shuttle a few taxi's over to you and bring you out
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Musky I think we are pretty well set for the dogs. However if anyone would like to bring some Donuts, breakfast rolls, or muffins to go with the hot chocolate and coffee it would be great. I might need a little assistance hauling out an extra sled or two with mess hall and grub. I will be in a black F350 with a white inclosed trailer. I will have two other geezers with me ( Jerry and Bruce ) I will be the good looking one with the grey goatee LOL ;D

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
We'll bring the donuts and muffins
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have a prize for the longest rainbow ill give at one 0'clock.  ;D

Offline johnnycake

• IceShanty Rookie
I'll bring doughnuts round two when I get there. I'm thinking I can probably hasn't my daughter ready to get there close to 8. See you all tomorrow!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.