Author Topic: gettin' chilly!  (Read 4527 times)

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: gettin' chilly!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:56 AM »
I'm with all of you, hopeful for a cold weather and a good ice season to make up for last year!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:12 AM »
Low of 15 here in the Garwood area (north of Hayden).   Considering the doom and gloom predictions from the weather man for this winter, we are off to a pretty good start.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Ryder Park in Idaho Falls is capped with about 1.5 inches of good hard ice. Warmer temps Monday and Tuesday may reverse some of that, but hoping the nights at least help maintain what we have. After Tuesday its looking like it wont get above freezing for the rest of the week, so hats off to that!

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2015, 02:49 PM »
3 " of clear hard ice and people fishing  Henry's lake .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 23, 2015, 01:34 PM »
All this chatter of ice is getting me excited! Haha.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2015, 05:01 PM »
I am going to fish Henry's tomorrow first trip out . State Park boat ramp .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 27, 2015, 03:18 AM »
At least the wind died down, wow. There will be some ice being made now.

Offline fairweatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 27, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Getting real cold at my house -6 right now we are making ice!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 30, 2015, 08:23 PM »
the local trout pond is completely iced over. 2.5" to 3" of ice. next week it should be safe to fish.

the time has come.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 30, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Local trout pond in Idaho Falls has 4-5 inches of ice in most places, super fast action tonight, son caught a good 4 lb planter. Made for a good dinner! Be very cautious as there is a small "stream" on one side that keeps the ice thinner and an aerator that is currently frozen over, but definitely not safe to get close to.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 01, 2015, 11:34 AM »
has anyone been up to Roberts yet?

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2015, 01:13 PM »
One of my friends fished it about a week ago . On this forum he goes by realesthecragen . That spelling is not correct but as close as I can get . He said safe ice , but the biggest perch he caught was 3" .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Sounds about right for Roberts. I'm curious to see how the tigers behave as the winter progresses.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 01, 2015, 09:51 PM »
people have been saying there's catfish in there, and with the huge amounts of tiny perch, i can't help but think there are some pretty decent sized kitties swimming around.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2015, 07:04 AM »
We catch a ton of small cats in the summer there but have only caught 2 over 17 inches. I have tried to catch them through the ice but haven't figured out how to be successful at it yet.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2015, 09:32 AM »
winter catfish is a location thing more than anything else, i've found. as soon as you find them, it's all about putting bait in their face.

mid-size jigging spoons with tiny bits of cutbait or 3 or 4 waxworms crammed onto the hook are my favorite presentation, but they can be caught on darn near anything you put meat on.

looking at a map of Roberts, it looks like the best spots for cats would be over on the east side, either in the deepest area you can find or right along the weed edge.

i'll head out there this weekend and see if i can't find anything

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:49 AM »
It has been great ice forming weather lately. I am however concerned with this upcoming weather changes starting tomorrow. A lot of warmer temps and possible rain for many areas. I hope they are wrong!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2015, 04:26 PM »
forecast says it's dropping again next friday, and highest it's supposed to get is 44. i just hope the sub-freezing temps at night keeps the ice safe, that precipitation forecast has me worried though.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Yeah I'm hoping to get out a few more times before it gets warm. This winters weather may become really goofy, better take advantage of it while it's here.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 04, 2015, 09:28 AM »
my thoughts exactly. i cranked up the power auger yesterday, found out it's leaking from the gasket that connects the fuel line to the tank. the thing's less than a year old, so i suspect we made a mistake in storage, hit it with something or other maybe. either way, it's safe to use as long as we don't tip it to that side (i will not be transporting it full of gas, however). other than that it runs fine, i'm ordering a new grommet today.

all that's left is to re-rig some tipups and get the rods all squared away. i'll buy some waxworms while i'm out and about, and hopefully we'll be catching fish tomorrow!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Spring fishing today, sun and slush. The kids were skating and got soaked. Pretty slow just a few small crappie and a few trout, bite was really light. C'mon cold.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2015, 09:34 AM »
hit roberts yesterday, 6.5 inches of crystal clear ice; had three hits from tiger trout but only landed one of them.

and also found some catfish! didn't catch them, but we saw three swimming around under our holes. even got a bite from one, but they were very tight-lipped.

as usual, so many tiny perch

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 23, 2015, 09:29 AM »
forecast for the next week: cold, cold, and more cold! we're even supposed to get down to the negatives the day after christmas, and single-digit lows throughout the next week!

here comes the rest of the hard stuff, guys! hold on to your hats, cuz you're gonna need them.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 23, 2015, 04:39 PM »
What size was the Tiger?

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 24, 2015, 02:35 AM »
12 inches. bigger and much more aggressive than the trout we used to get out of there. watch out though, next year the trout limit there is shifting down to 2 per person.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 27, 2015, 11:53 AM »
If the weather stays this cold, I may have to consider investing in a one person flip for when I go out alone. It's stinking cold!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.