Author Topic: Manosteel00's 8x12 Shanty Build  (Read 47332 times)

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Manosteel00's 8x12 Shanty Build
« Reply #60 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Wow! Nice job man! That thing is awesome. Make sure you get some pics up of it on the ice

For some reason none of the pictures in this thread are working for me.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #61 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:38 PM »
Beautiful

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:50 PM »
For some reason none of the pictures in this thread are working for me.

No? Hmm. I'm sorry but I don't know how to help you. I use my iPad to surf ice shanty and the pics just appear on the threads for me.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:00 PM »
My buddy is a welder and put together a pretty sweet tow frame for me.  The frame is made out of 2" steel strips that are attached to the runners with 3" lag bolts.  On each side I used a 1" black iron pipe that was welded to the frame.  The d-rings are attachment points and the pipe provides a great jacking point. 

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:04 PM »
You might be wondering why I'm not fishing out of it yet.  In Central WI the ice still kind of sucks and it's been an off year.  I finally went to take it out today and let's just say my plan A had some challenges.  I thought of putting a winch post on my snowmobile trailer and moving it up there after jacking it up on round pipes underneath.  I got it a little ways on the trailer and well...you can see what happens...

Any ideas on how to get this thing out on the ice asap?  I was hoping to use the snowmobile trailer somehow but this thing is pretty big!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:03 PM »
I use to use a tilt trailer for mine, but it was heavy duty steel.  I would get a bigger trailer, jack the front of the shack as high as you can and block it about four feet back so you can get the trailer under it.  Maybe you can push it on with any equipment if you half any?  You can also use heavy duty  ramps and slide it on if the trailer doesn't tilt.  You may need more beer that usually means more muscle will show up to help ;D
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:28 PM »
Haha! Beer definitely attracts help.

Well, I'm really hoping to figure out a way to use the existing trailer. It has a capacity of 1700 pounds so I know I'll be overloading a bit, but I think I'm pretty close to that number after my math.

I'll definitely be blocking it up this time. I didn't do it at first since I was a bit confused on how to do that. Are you just jacking one corner at a time? I'm not certain how you would get blocks in the middle and also remove them safely once the trailer is there.  I have a couple farm jacks around.

What if I just bought heavy duty ramps, installed the wince directly to the trailer frame and just didn't tilt it? So it's not going up such a big angle?

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:42 PM »
I was watching a video on YouTube and a bunch of guys looked like the put a similar sized shack on the same snowmobile trailer. I figure I could attach two come alongs to the attachment they have on the top of the deck. Anyone know what this is called?

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:47 PM »
If you can jack in the middle without bending your hitch then do so and keep putting blocks under the skis.  You don't want your blocks in the middle, you want them slightly forward so the shack tips back.  You have a high lift jack.  That's what I always used.  When the shack is on the trailer you can jack the back of the shack up pin the tilt on the trailer and push the shack, winch it or what ever means you have to slide it towards the toung.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:32 AM »
I load my 7.5x10 using 2 come-a-longs. Tilt snow trailer. I hook one to each front corner of the trailer, hook to the front corners of the house, and go at it. When you get to the top and run out of cable, I hook to the corners of the truck bed and continue. It pulls the rest of the way and helps get it to tilt. In my set-up you couldn't start from the truck, it would jack the trailer all up. Have to get it most of the way up first.
I never had to jack the house up. I was way overloaded also, and 8x8 trailer with a 10' house on it. Tires would burn the bottom of the deck over bumps and at highway speeds. I upgraded to a 101"x10' but it still sucks. Deck-over trailers are just too high.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Thanks. How are you attaching the come along to the trailer though? in the corners there is only the aluminum frame with no strong attachment points. That's why I was wondering what that orange thing in the video is, that looks like it would work well.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:45 AM »
My old trailer I just drilled hole in the side/lip and put a quick link (screw closed chain link) through it. Not terribly strong,  but good enough. My newer trailer kind of the same thing except I mounted a d-ring type anchor there. It's flimsy but works.
I maintain that a snowmobile trailer isn't good for much except snowmobiles. Same goes for my quad, no good places to tie down.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:00 PM »
I have seen one IS member hire a flat bed (tilt) tow truck to get his huge shack to the lake.....

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I'd use an electric atv winch.  Either mount it  on you shanty and use a snatch block on the trailer or vice versa.  By using the snatch block you are doubling the capacity of the winch.  Better than busting your stones to manually do it.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I have seen one IS member hire a flat bed (tilt) tow truck to get his huge shack to the lake.....
Seems like that would be really tall.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Seems like that would be really tall.
I had a buddy do that a few years back with an 8x16 and it worked slick, but this was a one time haul.  I wouldn't want to pay some one to haul my shack every year.  Bottom line is if you are going to build big heavy shacks then you nee the proper gear/rigging to move them ;)  Getting to the lake is only half the battle :)

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #76 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:45 PM »
I used my log loader to load my 8x10 hardside on skids ;D
Is it ice time yet???

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Cool build, did you get it out on the ice yet

could you use an old truck axle and temp up a hitch on the front and just tow it to the location and then drop the axle out.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #78 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Well, now that you have the mac dad tricked out shack it's time for the mac dad transport rig to go with it  ;D ;D

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Haha, I just about needed that rig right above...but fortunately it all worked out ok today!  I was able to do it on my own as well which was really nice.

Blocked her up to get the trailer under.  Thanks for the tip jiggin!

Bringing it up.  This time my welder buddy put together a nice looking steel winch post.  No problems this time.

After I got it more than halfway on I jacked up the back and was able to flatten the trailer and lock it down.  This made me cringe a little...lol.  This frame my buddy built was so nice to use.

On the trailer.  You can see that it was tight.

This thing made my truck look small...and it's not! haha.  I should have locked down the rear a little better since it ended up sliding forward when I was going down the launch but I didn't have a good way of doing it at the time.  Any ideas?

She's finally on the ice!  Now time to fish!

Just wanted to say thanks for all of you that helped chime in and give me tips and pointers.  Your advice was definitely well appreciated and I couldn't have done it without you.  Thanks again!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Looks great

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 05, 2016, 09:52 PM »
Nice to see it out on the ice finally!

Hope it serves you well for a long time.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:01 AM »
It looks awesome, great job!  You will learn something new every shack you build ;)  Not a lot of good tie down spots on those aluminium trailers.  The first shack I built (8x10), I jacked the front up and slid two keg barrels under the skis and we rolled it on the trailer.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:54 AM »
That came out very nice, good luck with it.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:27 AM »
As far as tying down the rear, did you leave your winch strap attached?  Use a bit of chain like the safety chain on a boat....to keep it from sliding back.
That sure is a nice looking jack post.  Gives me ideas.   Your buddy could go into business selling those.  I'd consider having him build me one, but the shipping costs would probably make it too expensive.

Please post pics of the shack in action!

MD

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:48 AM »
if you are really concerned about it sliding ahead on you just run 2 more ratchet straps under the length of the shack, hook to the front of the shack and then go over the back end of the trailer to where you have your straps hooked in the picture.  guaranteed it wont slide ahead, unless something breaks that is.  Looks like a beauty unit.  I love having a wood stove in mine but saving all that space with propane looks like a better option.  Nice work!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.