Author Topic: Ice shack build  (Read 33713 times)

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice shack build
« Reply #90 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Your propane setup looks great! But as a propane technician you should add a sediment trap to your manifold. There are particulates that will come out of your tanks and piping and go into your heaters, cook stove, etc. basically you would just add a 3 1/2" nipple and cap to the bottom of you manifold.
Are you saying I should remove the 1/2'' plug at the bottom of the manifold and cross over to a 3 1/2'' nipple?  3 1/2'' sounds big and may be a pain to cross over too from a 1/2''.  Thanks for the input.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:43 AM »
1/2" x 3 1/2" nipple with cap. Basically it allows sediment and debris to fall out of the propane instead of going into equipment and causing premature breakdowns

It is the object coming my out of the T at the bottom left of the picture

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Yes,very nice job,what are you going to use to pull it,bet its 3000 lbs easy.
It is heavy and I don't even want to know how heavy.  I'm banking on the wide skis lowering the PSI and the UHMW sliding slick.  I will be hauling it with a tracked argo and if that don't get er then I will hook the SWT Skandic to the argo, and if that don't get er then Ill by beer and get help from a few buddies.  The wife painted the shack the same color as the house, so if we can't move it the kids can have a sweet play house ;D 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Nov 08, 2015, 10:59 AM »
1/2" x 3 1/2" nipple with cap. Basically it allows sediment and debris to fall out of the propane instead of going into equipment and causing premature breakdowns

It is the object coming my out of the T at the bottom left of the picture
Thanks, makes sense!  I can add that no problem.

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Nov 08, 2015, 11:17 AM »
No problem! Seeing how much time and effort you have put into it don't want to see any problems!

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Nov 08, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Shanty looks amazing! You are beating my ass in construction for sure.

Thinking of adding a propane stove as well that will sit on the counter.  Did you order your counter custom or just buy prefab?  Trying to figure out how to cover a small 2x3' space.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Nov 08, 2015, 08:32 PM »
I went to Lowe's an bought a 50 dollar sheet of maple plywood and made it myself.  I'm no carpenter, so I made a replica out of 1/4" made sure it fit the traced it on the maple sheet.  One sheet did the table, counter, above fire place and a few possible cutting boards.  Your shack looks great!  Keep up the good work and feel free to ask for any suggestions.  I screwed a few shacks up before I figured out what works.

Offline riley8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Nov 09, 2015, 09:23 PM »
It is heavy and I don't even want to know how heavy.  I'm banking on the wide skis lowering the PSI and the UHMW sliding slick.  I will be hauling it with a tracked argo and if that don't get er then I will hook the SWT Skandic to the argo, and if that don't get er then Ill by beer and get help from a few buddies.  The wife painted the shack the same color as the house, so if we can't move it the kids can have a sweet play house ;D
  Looking forward to seeing the shack on the ice

Offline the fisherman guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Nov 21, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Very cool shanty, one of the nicest I've seen. Great job with the woodwork, very nice touches!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Nov 21, 2015, 07:27 PM »
very very nice

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #100 on: Nov 22, 2015, 04:33 AM »
Things look great Jiggenfrogs really like the live spruce trim. One question about the live spruce being that it is in the conifer family will tree sap leakage be a problem down the road. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your shanty in action on the ice.
Steve

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:54 AM »
Thanks guys, It has been a lot of work and I'm ready for it to be done.  The wife is even more ready...I don't think she can stand to hear the word ice shack any more and she loves to fish and can't wait to use it ;D  I'm not really concerned with the sap or pitch being a problem.  They may shrink a little, so if I have to do something different down the road than I will. 

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Wow!  Great looking build!  I hope that you have a long season for it.  It sure looks like a great place to spend a weekend.  Or a week.Or a winter.

-Ron

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:59 PM »
My daughter got into staining the benches...not bad help for 3 years old ;D  I built a box to fit in the hole with a hinged door to make it easier to get to fish.  The box will keep the kids from falling in and maybe a few adults as well.  I also made a drying rack so we can toss our gloves and hats up high and hang our boots upside down at night so they will be warm and dry.  I had one in my old shack and it worked awesome.  Managed to get most of the trim done except  for the door, which is next to go in. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #104 on: Nov 25, 2015, 03:16 AM »
Jiggenfrogs give my compliments to your daughter very nice job staining the benches. She is a neat worker for her age . I see many years of good memories being made in this shanty. A good Thanksgiving to you and the family.
Steve

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Nov 25, 2015, 04:31 AM »
Looks great. I really like your idea for the runners. Uhmw works great and they're wide enough for floatation also. Good job.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Nov 25, 2015, 05:25 AM »
Nice work Jiggenfrogs ! Thx for sharing the build with us !  :thumbsup:

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Nov 25, 2015, 09:33 AM »
Looks great jiggin!  How are you planning on moving it to the lake?

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:01 PM »
Looks great jiggin!  How are you planning on moving it to the lake?
A buddy of mine has a 20' dovetail with hydraulic tilt.  Loading it and unloading it may be a challenge, but we will get ah ;)

Offline P1ckl3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Dec 03, 2015, 04:29 PM »
Awesome but how are you getting it on the lake
Be a god and walk on water

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #110 on: Dec 03, 2015, 09:13 PM »
Awsome Job!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Dec 04, 2015, 05:53 AM »
Great work!  Some solar chargers and batteries??????  Not sure how all that stuff works in Alaska?????  Is there enough sun, and will batteries hold up in the extreme cold?

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Dec 04, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have a deep cycle AGM battery for my 12v lights and fan.  I also have a few 110v plugins for a TV,DVD and coffee pot ext and will run the generator when I want to use these.  If the battery gets drained then I can charge it from the generator.  Later I may check on a wind turbine, but will probably not go with a solar panel due to lack of light.  I get home Monday and will have it wrapped up in a few days and ready to go...can't wait :)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Dec 08, 2015, 06:24 AM »
I have seen wind turbines made from car alternators, seems pretty easy.  Sounds like you are just about ready to do some fishing!!!!!!!!!! Awesome job!  We need some video of the argo pulling the "beast" !!!!! I am a carpenter by trade and truly enjoyed following your build!   ;D 

Offline eyesncoke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Wow! Beautiful job. Hope you don't mind, I'm going to borrow that idea for the drying rack, should work perfect in the one I'm building. Again, nice work!

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:15 AM »
Ice shack ! Damn how much is the rent I maybe moving to Alaska!!! lol Great job and attention to detail.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Wow! Beautiful job. Hope you don't mind, I'm going to borrow that idea for the drying rack, should work perfect in the one I'm building. Again, nice work!
Thanks, and take what ever you can from the build that is why I'm posting  it.  I have built a few now and have figured out a few things that work well for me.  The drying rack works awsome ;)

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:25 PM »
I have seen wind turbines made from car alternators, seems pretty easy.  Sounds like you are just about ready to do some fishing!!!!!!!!!! Awesome job!  We need some video of the argo pulling the "beast" !!!!! I am a carpenter by trade and truly enjoyed following your build!   ;D
Thanks, It has been a blast building it.  I need to finish the hitch and a few other small things and should be ready next week.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:20 PM »
My wife and motherinlaw made nice fleece covers for the cushions we bought for the beds.  I put the door on today and my buddy is welding up the hitch.    Need to put a few more shelves in and will be ready to roll.

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Dec 10, 2015, 11:25 PM »
Looks cozy!  Where in the shanty are you planning on fishing? lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.