New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Rumors of allowing Seven Tipups ?  (Read 7112 times)

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rumors of allowing Seven Tipups ?
« Reply #60 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Im not sure where I read it ..but Im pretty sure a high capacity rig capable of accommodating 15 hooks might be considered an assault fishing rig...Check it out before you try to use it , They might have to be registered.  Ill tell you right now...Im not registering mine!

Be careful, i didnt register mine and I recently had the police  come to my door and search my house and confiscate all of my treble hooks because they had an excessive and dangerous number of points.  They also took all of my assault sabiki rigs.  How am I supposed to catch a striper this year now???

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:50 AM »
My hands get cold now taking 5 tip ups out fotget 7..ill stick to my jiggging rod and a few tip downs for crappie ;D

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:56 AM »
5 more than enough to many and you just have more fish hooked deep that can not be released

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What? ANOTHER wind flag? @!*/ !
« Reply #63 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:06 AM »
I like Johno44"s politics.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:09 AM »
I like it. 7 tip ups, skeet skeet.

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:06 AM »
when is this law put into use? next year? this year?

Adopted on February 11, 2015. Effective: February 11, 2015.

Part 10 - Sportfishing Regulations, Part 18 - Taking Bait, Part 19 - Use of Bait, Fish for Bait, and Bait Fish, and Part 35 - Licenses - Express Terms - Proposed Rule Making for 6NYCRR Parts 10, 18, 19, and 35, Sportfishing Regulations; Taking Bait; Use of Bait, Fish for Bait, and Bait Fish; and Licenses - Express Terms.

10.4 Ice fishing and use of [tip-ups]ice-fishing lines.
(a) For the purposes of this Part, [tip-up]an ice-fishing line means any device used for fishing through the ice, including but not limited to hand line, tip-up, tip down, etc. [that has a signaling device attached, except a bobber or other floating object on the water, that will visually or audibly signal a strike].

(b) General provisions.(1)No person shall fish through the ice in any water inhabited by trout except those waters specified in this Part.

(2) No person shall [operate tip-ups]use ice fishing lines on the frozen waters of the State during the period from May 1st through November 14th.

(3) Fish may be taken through the ice in accordance with open seasons, minimum sizes and daily limits set forth in this Part.

(4) Wherever ice fishing is permitted, no more than [two-hand lines and five tip-ups]seven ice fishing lines, with an ice fishing line meaning any device use for ice fishing through the ice (including but not limited to hand line, tip-up, tip down, rod and reel, etc.) may be used except where specified in this section or other sections of this Part.

(5) No more than 15 [tip-ups and two handlines ]ice fishing lines, with an ice fishing line meaning any device use for ice fishing through the ice (including but not limited to hand line, tip-up, tip down, rod and reel, etc.) may be used in Lake Champlain.

(6) No person shall operate [tip-ups]ice fishing lines without being in immediate attendance while the [tip-ups]ice fishing lines are in the water.

[(7) All tip-ups must be marked with the name and address of the operator while tip-ups are in the water.]

([8]7 ) No person shall [operate a tip-up]use an ice-fishing line that has more than five lures or baits or a combination of both.

([9]8 ) No person shall [operate a tip-up]use an ice-fishing line that has more than 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #66 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:13 AM »

That date is regarding the regulations on Chronic Wasting Disease

and as far as Parts 10, 11, 19, 36, 37 and 40 - Sportfishing, Use of Bait, Gear, Prohibited Sale of Certain Fish, and Marine Fish (American eel) if you read the text its only regulations pertaining to American Eel

The ice fishing regulations haven't been passed/changed yet

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 02, 2015, 10:39 AM »
hahahaha jesus!!! im glad we are all on the same page here......hahahaha. who cares, just everyone keep doing what they are doing and whoever gets in trouble will inform us all

Offline OBIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:13 AM »
I understand it passed already and it will be any combination of 7 lines .
thats how I understood it as well... so yeah 7 tip-ups but 0 poles your choice lol

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Mar 02, 2015, 02:20 PM »
For those who put 3 jigging rods out as glorified flagless tipups, it'll be better for everyone including the fish to just have 2 tipups out there instead.  reel in the water, flag the instant a bite occurs.  less hooks in bellies..etc  Not a bad idea, and they're actually taking away a line but I don't mind for the tradeoff.  Probably end up doing 6 and 1.    As long as they don't ban drinking on the ice like in Canada, do we really have anything to complain about?

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:22 PM »
wait now im confused as hell, so is it legal now to use 7 tip ups ? thats all i want to know, forget the jig sticks and other crap, can i put 7 tip ups in legally ?

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:36 PM »
wait now im confused as hell, so is it legal now to use 7 tip ups ? thats all i want to know, forget the jig sticks and other crap, can i put 7 tip ups in legally ?
As far as I know. This regulation won't take effect until April.
Wait until next season to bust out the 6th and 7th man. Even then, I'll be waiting until I see it written in the book myself to be safe.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Mar 02, 2015, 03:38 PM »
ok, good idea

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:24 PM »
I cut and pasted my above post directly from the NY DEC Proposed/ adopted regulation changes. Including the adopted date and the effective date.

The big question is,  "When will it be enforced"?

Obviously, the administration has not caught up with DEC's changes.  That is, the printing of new fishing regulation books, and updating all the online sources, educating all DEC Wardens and the general public.

For DEC to make a Ice Fishing Regulation change, Mid-Icefishing season, and try to enforce it, would probably not work.

I think Prchslyr is probably right!  By April, or even next Fall,  The Administration will have caught up to DEC's Icefishing changes, and enforcement of the new regulations is in effect.

I will go about icefishing as before.  But i will keep an eye out for new regulation books,  and check the online regulations from time to time.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:32 PM »
I cut and pasted my above post directly from the NY DEC Proposed/ adopted regulation changes. Including the adopted date and the effective date.

The big question is,  "When will it be enforced"?

Obviously, the administration has not caught up with DEC's changes.  That is, the printing of new fishing regulation books, and updating all the online sources, educating all DEC Wardens and the general public.

For DEC to make a Ice Fishing Regulation change, Mid-Icefishing season, and try to enforce it, would probably not work.

I think Prchslyr is probably right!  By April, or even next Fall,  The Administration will have caught up to DEC's Icefishing changes, and enforcement of the new regulations is in effect.

I will go about icefishing as before.  But i will keep an eye out for new regulation books,  and check the online regulations from time to time.

I know you copy and pasted it.....

The ice fishing regulation is still under proposed regulations pending (public comment closed) section.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html#bait the second proposed regulation

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/propregulations.html I believe this is what you were talking about #3 under recently adopted regulation. For part 10 in parentheses it says American Eel

and when you click the link that says "text of adopted regulations" on this page http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html#americaneel.... which will bring you to this page (http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/98034.html) no where does it state anything about ice fishing

Unless you can provide a link to prove me wrong

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Here you go 879

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html#americaneel

scroll down to:

Text of Adopted Regulation - Underlines contained in the text of the express terms denote new material. Brackets [ ] indicate material to be deleted.

More about Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources Proposed, Emergency and Recently Adopted Regulations :

scroll down and click on:

Part 10 - Sportfishing Regulations, Part 18 - Taking Bait, Part 19 - Use of Bait, Fish for Bait, and Bait Fish, and Part 35 - Licenses - Express Terms - Proposed Rule Making for 6NYCRR Parts 10, 18, 19, and 35, Sportfishing Regulations; Taking Bait; Use of Bait, Fish for Bait, and Bait Fish; and Licenses - Express Terms.

that click brings you to:

Part 10 - Sportfishing Regulations, Part 18 - Taking Bait, Part 19 - Use of Bait, Fish for Bait, and Bait Fish, and Part 35 - Licenses - Express Terms  Express Terms  Part 10 Sportfishing Regulations, is amended as follows:
10.1 Sportfishing Regulations.

scroll down to

10.4 Ice fishing and use of [tip-ups]ice-fishing lines. (in green lettering) 

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #76 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:10 PM »
This is simple. It was to clear up the confusion about what is a handline, and nothing else. Those who have been following this will be glad. No more Grey area. I've been using a hook setting rodholder since the early 90's, and the DEC didn't know what to make of it then! Glad they did it. Use what you want. There will be more inventions out of this! :)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:13 PM »
Again.... the February date is for the chronic wasting disease regulation...

I took a screenshot of the first two but as you can see the date the regulation went into affect is BELOW the regulation not above it.

If you scroll down to the February date the regulation is the chronic wasting disease.

Then a new section starts with the header "More about Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources Proposed, Emergency and Recently Adopted Regulations:" With no date when the ice fishing regulation went into effect

Again: The only one that says it was adopted is the american eel one. It even says "Proposed Rule Making for 6NYCRR Parts 10, 18, 19, and 35, Sportfishing Regulations; Taking Bait; Use of Bait, Fish for Bait, and Bait Fish; and Licenses - Express Terms." not that it was adopted

To clear things up on if the regulation has already been passed or is still in limbo I have emailed dec and will post their response when I get an email back

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:00 PM »
 ;D  I disagree 879,,the adopted and effective are above!

And good job on emailing DEC.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:13 PM »
;D  I disagree 879,,the adopted and effective are above!

And good job on emailing DEC.

I guess the third screenshot.... when it says proposed and not adopted.... isn't good enough lol.

If you look at the 2nd screen shot under American Eel is says adopted December 10th 2014. And if you look at the 3rd screen shot the first red/purple/pink link after american eel is says adopted December 10th 2014 coincidence I think not

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:17 AM »
OK,  I spoke directly to a DEC Region 5 fisheries biologist this morning. The regulation change allowing 7 lines of any combination for ice fishing HAS been passed and adopted. Its IS NOT in effect at this time. It will go in to effect April 1, 2015 when the new regulations guides are printed.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion and debate, But I doubt it!!! ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Joe Butler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Thanks!   Mike  ;D

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:24 AM »
Good enough for me, thanks

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Looks like I was wrong on if they were adopted or not.... but the regulation change won't be in effect till April 1st not February

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Years ago you use fifty tipups and there was limit on how many walleye you could keep. There were plenty of fish then. You also could leave them on the ice all night and there was no problem except for the "do gooders" that thought they knew better.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:54 PM »
geez, no bogey, its 15 points per device. thats 5 allowable trebles per tip-up. so, 7 tip ups times 15 points is 105 points or 35 trebles = one hell of a tangled mess.

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Mar 04, 2015, 10:47 AM »
geez, no bogey, its 15 points per device. thats 5 allowable trebles per tip-up. so, 7 tip ups times 15 points is 105 points or 35 trebles = one hell of a tangled mess.

I've never seen more than a single treble on a tipup with live bait.  Is there a good way to rig up multiple so you can fish a few different depths at the same time from the same tipup?  Just seems like it'd be a tangled mess unless (maybe?) you're using dead bait

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:01 AM »
I've never seen more than a single treble on a tipup with live bait.  Is there a good way to rig up multiple so you can fish a few different depths at the same time from the same tipup?  Just seems like it'd be a tangled mess unless (maybe?) you're using dead bait
Don't do it to yourself man.
It's dang near impossible to land a nice pike with an extra treble hook catching the edge of the hole 3' or more up from your fish. I rarely rig up 2 jigs on a perch jigging rig anymore because it drives me nuts the 1 out of 50 times I lose a fish when the top hook catches the hole.
Double trebles on a quick strike rig can be awesome at times with huge bait. Plenty will use 2 baits on a quickstrike, but those hooks are rarely 6" apart for our waters.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Mar 04, 2015, 11:31 AM »
no I don't think  he misunderstood  his  statement   you did , the man is  clearly saying anyone  using tip ups is  lazy  and  he can out fish them with one jigging rod .......

I like  it less confussion  less  accidental mistakes  ...you are losing  one  line   as you can use 8 right now .....

as  far as  someone  crowding  you  with  tip ups  ... ice  fisherman been using tip  ups  many a  year  ......it's ice  fishing

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Mar 04, 2015, 02:30 PM »
as far as the 7 vs 8 line debate I like the change cause it'll allow me to set more tip ups out and still jig with 1 rod giving me 7 lines like I use now (5 tip ups and 2 handlines)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.