Author Topic: Should I?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Should I?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Id buy the smitty kit if the price is right.and ive already built 2 of them.i have  3 sets of skies but they are all cross country but I think they will work.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Need a patent 1st. Then go from there.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:09 PM »
So if I pre-cut the wood, drilled the holes , provided the hardware, and the rope, and I sold this as a kit except for the skis............ you guys would be interested? Give me your thoughts. Thanks Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline mike 7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:12 PM »
I'd be interested.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Yep, I'd probably get one and I know some others that may too
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Trademark the NAME and PATENT the sled....

Look at Clam...Dave started it in his basement....the guy from IndianHills tip ups builds them in his basement....You created a great idea...I would try to monetize it if you have the drive and time...

Best of luck

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:28 PM »
So if I pre-cut the wood, drilled the holes , provided the hardware, and the rope, and I sold this as a kit except for the skis............ you guys would be interested? Give me your thoughts. Thanks Smitty

Yes, and remember, I got dibs on serial #1.
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline chasinfins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Maybe offer in different colors and name engraved for an extra charge ...
Life is hard ... even harder if you're stupid ...

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Maybe offer in different colors and name engraved for an extra charge ...

2X the possibilities are endless. Say kit1 for most 1 man flips and med to large jet sleds.
Kit 2 for 2 man flips and xl jet sled.
So
Kit 1 no finish Price,
kit 1 painted price,
kit 1 stained price, and so on.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Kyle_J

« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2015, 02:51 PM »
I would be interested in a kit.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #40 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:06 AM »
I'm a one man band here.........with a full time job.......not sure if I could meet customer demand..........I am one that wants to keep everyone happy........also price is a question..... I think $79.99 + shipping is a price I would have to have with expenses, materials, saw blades, ect........and my time.......you get the picture.........give me your thoughts.....
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:13 AM »
I think the big question everyone would have is what is included Smitty ?
Bud

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:15 AM »
That is why I'm not sure it is worth it? You would need to charge a bare minimum of $80 + shipping which would be a lot these days, shipping might be another $35. But I doubt I had $15 into my homemade sled total. Most of us ice fisherman are cheap son of a guns.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:23 AM »
What is in the kit? is it a complete Smitty that needs to be just be assembled? or is it everything except for ________________, _____________
Do you have a pic of a completed kit either before or after assembly?
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:25 AM »
ill pass. I have skis laying around and all kinds of scrap wood.plus my wife works at a fastener place.some guys might pay that though.i think the smitty sled is so easy to build with just some stuff laying around the house.thats  the beauty of it.simple and cheap.

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:44 AM »
I think there is a definite market,but like said , most guys without a machine are cheap as hell. If you sell them for $80, then the tackle shops will have to sell them for $10-$20 more. I would definitely go with it though. If you don't , you will be kicking yourself later when you see a rip off version being sold everywhere. GO FOR IT!
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:21 AM »
I think there is a definite market,but like said , most guys without a machine are cheap as hell. If you sell them for $80, then the tackle shops will have to sell them for $10-$20 more. I would definitely go with it though. If you don't , you will be kicking yourself later when you see a rip off version being sold everywhere. GO FOR IT!
This is just my opinion and yes I probably watch to much "shark tank" but I personally think its a niche market. Ice fishing season on average last 3 months and half of the states(if that) actually have an ice fishing season. Then guys who have sleds or quads don't need it. If there is no or little snow its not needed. So it basically comes down to guys that have to walk to their spots in the states that ice fish that has snow cover. If you sold to a bait shop they would almost have to double the price to make it worth it to sell. What's 10 or 20 bucks in profit? Not worth it. I'm sure you could make some money but will it be worth your time??? Like others said all it would take is a big company to make their own and put you out quick. Bigger companies have ties to manufacturers and distrubutors that can cut many cost dramatically. I think it will be more of a hobby than actual business. Just my opinion. I'm no business major but do own my own business.

Offline Stand By

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Maybe just make 2 or 3 and put them on craigslist til they sell. Then make a couple more.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll never see him again....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.