New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Are NY panfish limits too high?  (Read 5442 times)

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Are NY panfish limits too high?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Also if I remember correctly he complained Cuba is fished out, perhaps it's the fisherman???

Am I the only one who has made comments about Cuba being in rough shape? I most certainly am not. My argument has always been that these smaller lakes cant with stand the pressure that is placed on them. On top of the trash issues.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I just did a quick blue gill facts search. It's showing that most gills only live to about 8 years old on average, they spit out 1000 eggs from small gills up to 100000 from large ones. Most only reach 8 inches long. To have bigger better gills a lot need to be taken in a body of water to eliminate over crowding. They are mature at 1 year old. So naturally I would have to say it would be a water issue if they ever disappeared. Once there in a place I think your stuck with them.

Back on topic, the limits are set, Ide rather see them increased than decreased. But for now it's Manageable.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:43 PM »
I was going to watch the hockey game, but the checking may be better here.....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline HudsonRiverRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:44 PM »
I don't think the limits are too high.  If we want better panfishing we need to work together to fight the weed killers they are dumping into the lakes along with the septic systems flowing into some lakes. To have fish you need weeds

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:45 PM »
hey  jeff  if  ya  promise  to  shut  up i'll take  ya  fishing  and  show  you how  to catch a  limit of  big bluegills  geeeez  all ya  had  to  do was  ask

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #65 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:46 PM »
I was going to watch the hockey game, but the checking may be better here.....h2l
Lmao , good check of your own

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:46 PM »

I'm certain the pages will get thinned out very soon. Eventually the Topic will get shut down  not enough talk about rainbows and unicorns to keep everyone's feelings from getting hurt.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Am I the only one who has made comments about Cuba being in rough shape? I most certainly am not. My argument has always been that these smaller lakes cant with stand the pressure that is placed on them. On top of the trash issues.

then  you  pick up the  trash  and  you  voluntary don't  fish  these  small  lakes  however  you have  no  right  to  pass  judgements  and  your  moral  beliefs  on  others  ...if  it's  public  water  ,people  have a  right to  fish it if  it's  open  to  fishing

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:51 PM »
hey  jeff  if  ya  promise  to  shut  up i'll take  ya  fishing  and  show  you how  to catch a  limit of  big bluegills  geeeez  all ya  had  to  do was  ask
LOL, Bro i catch fish, just saddens me to see smaller lakes get destroyed by the masses, small lake near my camp used to be nice place to take kids now they get bored bcuz the fishing got sloooooow. oh well, losing battle i guess.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Oh man trapper, you've made me laugh out loud numerous times today, my girlfriend keeps asking what I'm reading... good stuff
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:53 PM »
LOL, Bro i catch fish, just saddens me to see smaller lakes get destroyed by the masses, small lake near my camp used to be nice place to take kids now they get bored bcuz the fishing got sloooooow. oh well, losing battle i guess.

I think that's more of an issue of too much fishing pressure and not limits, I bet most of those people never come close to there limits but combined a mass of people can hurt a small body of water, no doubt

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:56 PM »
I think that's more of an issue of too much fishing pressure and not limits, I bet most of those people never come close to there limits but combined a mass of people can hurt a small body of water, no doubt

Yep i said that earlier 150 guys keeping 25 fish on 300 acre lake does some damage. Its a sad thing to watch with so much info accessible thru the interwebs guys are finding lakes they never knew existed, guy posts pic of nice fish and thats a wrap.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:56 PM »
nate  i  cussed  you out  today !!!!   :roflmao: I'm  walking threw  that  slush  over my  boots   saying  wrong  nate   the  walks not  worth it  :roflmao:

then i  drilled a  hole  and  completely  eliminated  the  bluegill population  from otisco lake  ......  I'm  sure  i  got  the  last one   because  no more  hit!

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:00 PM »

Lets face it bluegills aint the toughest fish in the world to catch and usually in easiest access on the lake.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:05 PM »

come  on  jeffro  ya  just  got  to  be  a  little  faster  ,you  almost  got  us

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:09 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

come  on  jeffro  ya  just  got  to  be  a  little  faster  ,you  almost  got  us

I just bought that walleye ice rod, sweet aint it? nice action good hookset

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:11 PM »
I just bought that walleye ice rod, sweet aint it? nice action good hookset

RG Fixit helped me pick it out, he really knows his stuff!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:13 PM »

what  about the  cement  pond huh? i  suppose  fishing  pressure  didn't  hurt that  too huh?

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:13 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

what  about the  cement  pond huh? i  suppose  fishing  pressure  didn't  hurt that  too huh?

Nah fishins solid

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:16 PM »
nate  i  cussed  you out  today !!!!   :roflmao: I'm  walking threw  that  slush  over my  boots   saying  wrong  nate   the  walks not  worth it  :roflmao:

then i  drilled a  hole  and  completely  eliminated  the  bluegill population  from otisco lake  ......  I'm  sure  i  got  the  last one   because  no more  hit!

:roflmao:  my buddy just asked if we should stay close to shore next weekend or what? I told him we will no doubt hike threw the snow/slush again and complain every step of the way, and be sore later that night and the next day... but we will be ice fishing and that's what we love, I refuse to stay near shore and sacrifice good fishing cause I don't want to put my legs through hell

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What? ANOTHER wind flag? @!*/ !
« Reply #80 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:16 PM »
I rarely limit out on anything, but I get irritated when I hear ANYONE talk about decreasing existing limits. I actually oppose some of the limits now............ especially 3 eye limits,

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:19 PM »
dark  you  and  i lived  with  the  18 inch  walleye  rule  for  years  ....  in  oswego

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:20 PM »
dark  you  and  i lived  with  the  18 inch  walleye  rule  for  years  ....  in  oswego

18" is good bench mark for waldo keepers

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Is true, Trap. The only thing that makes me feel better about that limit is that I consider 18 plus eyes from the lake inedible. ;D

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:26 PM »
I had a guy, on here, tell me he can get more meat from a 15" walleye than he can from an 18". I just figured he had never caught an 18" walleye...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I had a guy, on here, tell me he can get more meat from a 15" walleye than he can from an 18". I just figured he had never caught an 18" walleye...h2l

Maybe his filet job on the 18 incher was terrible...  ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #86 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:32 PM »
sad  to  say  doug  i  have  caught  beautiful  walleyes   in  Oswego  and  they  taste  nasty !!!!  i let  em go now  go  catch  eaters  from oneida

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #87 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:39 PM »
jeff  your  actually asking  in a  nice  way  so lets  look at  some  facts  ok  :) 

1  crappies  didn't have  a  limit   or  a  size  put on them  because   the  sale  was  hurting the  population  at  all!  in  fact the  DEC   recommended  agaist  it  ,how  ever  if  you  go back  and  actually  reseach  it  you  will see  that the  federation of  sportsman lobbied   for  that  to  stop the  sale  and  they lobbied  for  the  limits  on  panfish  ...it  was  nothing  the  DEC  asked  for  or  recommended.

2  areas  where  we  have  no limits  on perch  and  bluegills   are  the  top   fish producing  areas!   also there  is  a  economic  befefit  to the  area  bait  shops  and   restraunts  and  so on!

3  tourism  has  slowed  in  some  areas  because  of  limits! whitney  point  ,Saratoga , black  lake    no  one  wants  to travel  a  hundred miles  for  25 crappies

4  again the  DEC  did  not  want  to put a  limit  on the  gills   on  Saratoga !  it   was  lobbied  for  by  by the  locals  to  cut  down on the  amount  of  ice  fisherman  and  the  parking  issues   , you  can research  this .....

often  things  are  done  and  people  don't  know  the  real  reason  why they  where  done ...... the  reason this  thread  in my opinion  should  disappear  is  people  with  few  to no  recorded post  are  only  attempting to  cause  fights  and  brawls  ......  right now  in  new  you  (call  your  regional office and  ask)  we  have  more  fish  more  fishing  opportunities   we  have  more  game  with  hunting and  trapping   opportunities  then   ever  before  ....  don't try to  fic  things  that  are  working that's   why  America  is  so  screwed  up  just  go out and  enjoy it   ;D  I know  I  do

want  to  help  out  fishery  go  kill  some  gobys

you may  now  pick your tree  and  hug
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline darkdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Sorry I got off the subject of panfish. I just want to let some know that they're opinions of limits aren't shared by us all. A lake was mentioned here that used to be my favorite panfish lake. I was fishing a state level walleye tournament trail, and discovered a motherlode of huge gills there, some to 13+ inches. I began making trips in the winter there,  lodged there, bought food and bait there. And then came the smaller limit there, and I have not returned there for any ice fishing since. Jef must understand his thoughts on decreasing limits has all sorts of impacts.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:57 PM »
dark  and  I'm  betting  your  talking  about  Saratoga  lake  ...it's  a  shame   and   the  limit  was   droped  because  of  the  homeowners  ass.    lobbying

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.