The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: 20.3 lb Broodstock Salmon  (Read 19555 times)

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
Re: 20.3 lb Broodstock Salmon
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:31 AM »
How much to put him on the wall??  price is not a problem w. that trophy  but j/w??  -moose

EDIT:  whats the numbers on him??  length girth?? 
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:42 AM »
Don't those fish only live for a little while after they're stocked or something?  I'm prolly wrong, but I thought for sure I heard that somewhere

The salmon do not hold over. They are unable to maitain their mass and wither away.

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:49 AM »
jf5 who told you this??  -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline IceLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:58 AM »
Nice, Very Nice, I'm sure most people will have this on their mind the next time the flag goes up :)
"A bad day of fishing, is better than a good day at work"

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:17 PM »
jf5 who told you this??  -moose

Many anglers who target broods regularly will tell you that, as will Masswildlife. Or just go to the Jamaica Pond boathouse and see the pics of 30" broods that look like death after they have spent a few months trying to forage for food there. 

The fish is hand feed for months/years, and then dumped into a strange waterbody where it has no instincts on how to forage. Meanwhile it expells allot of energy trying to get out of the lake. Its too hard for the fish to maintian a 10-20lb mass under such condtions. Most will end up dead after several months if they are not harvested. Many are found along the pond shorelines emaciated, basically they starved to death. 

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Many anglers who target broods regularly will tell you that, as will Masswildlife. Or just go to the Jamaica Pond boathouse and see the pics of 30" broods that look like death after they have spent a few months trying to forage for food there. 

The fish is hand feed for months/years, and then dumped into a strange waterbody where it has no instincts on how to forage. Meanwhile it expells allot of energy trying to get out of the lake. Its too hard for the fish to maintian a 10-20lb mass under such condtions. Most will end up dead after several months if they are not harvested. Many are found along the pond shorelines emaciated, basically they starved to death. 
           Vary well put jf5  these fish also require vary cold water to survive! not the surface temp of 80+  summer time at Jamaica and the other shallow water pond they put these fish into.

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another season, another reason, to, FISH ON !
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:58 PM »
jf5, man, I don't want to argue, most points are valid, but put in the right bodies of water there is a survival rate, may not be huge, but say Comet, Quinsig and a few out west are waters that can sustain them for a season or 2. Tell me this, knowing they have been raised in captivity, why do they even take a piece of bait? Some natural instincts have to take over, especially if they are stocked in a lake or pond with plenty of forage. Jamaica Pond is a toilet, theres more shopping carts and trash than there is fish. If all these fish were going to roll over and die why bother with the expense it takes to transport these fish all over the state. They are healthy fish, 1 3/4 hr fight, my sons was over an hour, they seem to maintain enough energy to not drop dead during the battle! Again, not trying to be argumentative but it seems as though negativity could be left out, and a little more positives would be nice to hear from you.
I work all year for this ! PAID TO ICEFISH, GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:14 PM »
it seems as though negativity could be left out, and a little more positives would be nice to hear from you.
Not trying to be negative. :unsure: I think that is great the state puts these fish out for us to catch.  ;D ;D                                   
  By the way if you saw my earlier post I SAID MOST BODYS OF WATER.

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another season, another reason, to, FISH ON !
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Not trying to be negative. :unsure: I think that is great the state puts these fish out for us to catch.  ;D ;D                                  

I wasn't directing that twords you, I modified my post. It is great that we have a stocking program that not many Staes can compare. Especially when we are so populated and most waters can't sustain a native trout or salmon population. We do have some great bodies of water, when they stock those "Broods" you will notice that they only put 20 or 30 of those fish in places like Whalom or Jamaica, but will put 150 to 200 a year in waters that can sustain them. Every stocked Trout or Salmon has been hand fed from hatch till release sized, they hold over adapt and grow in waters that can sustain the species, some even reproduce. They consider the stocking of landlock fry a huge sucess in the Wachusett and Quabin. The Wachusett has been the best, but we do not see the results as it is restricted to shore fishing only. But I'll tell you you can see the Salmon stacked at the mouth of the Stillwater River in the fall headed up river when the water is high enough to do so, I have caught and released a ton of them. I am no fish Biologist but just call one, they'll tell you. Mass Fish and Wildlife does one hell of a job!
I work all year for this ! PAID TO ICEFISH, GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:42 PM »
I don't want to argue, most points are valid, but put in the right bodies of water there is a survival rate, may not be huge, but say Comet, Quinsig and a few out west are waters that can sustain them for a season or 2. Tell me this, knowing they have been raised in captivity, why do they even take a piece of bait? Some natural instincts have to take over, especially if they are stocked in a lake or pond with plenty of forage. Jamaica Pond is a toilet, theres more shopping carts and trash than there is fish. If all these fish were going to roll over and die why bother with the expense it takes to transport these fish all over the state. They are healthy fish, 1 3/4 hr fight, my sons was over an hour, they seem to maintain enough energy to not drop dead during the battle! Again, not trying to be argumentative but it seems as though negativity could be left out, and a little more positives would be nice to hear from you.
Well, I don't see where I was being negative. I was just discussing the issue. But if you feel I am being negative, then I am sorry. Its not my intent.

Jamaica Pond and others mentioned has enough cold water and O2 to hold the fish. They simply cannot sustain themselves in these ponds. They will eat, as they take bait. But they will not get enough to eat to maintian the large body weights over time. The fish being caught are healthy because they where stocked only a few weeks ago. They don't make it to one full year in the ponds.

Why do they transport the fish?? For us to catch (and maybe sell some licesnes)!! No different than when they stock trout ponds that can't holdover fish. They expect a heavy harvest for put and take salmon fishing.

BTW, Jamaica pond has some great brown trout and some big bass, so its got some fish. Shopping carts and dead bodies aside!  :D  

But hey, talk to F & G, or the guys who really fish for the salmon regularly, and I mean regularly...ask them what they think...

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:48 PM »
I could be wrong but I think most of what we see are broodstock these are fish that where removed from place like the Conn.  river brought to the hatchery and used for breeding. They have out grown there usefulness and given to us to catch.

Offline iceman0364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:48 PM »
that salmon is  huge!!! :tipup:

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:51 PM »
I could be wrong but I think most of what we see are brood stock (sp )these are fish that where removed from place like the Conn.  river brought to the hatchery and used for breeding. They have out grown there usefulness and given to us to catch.

Correct. Most stocked broods are reported as "past peak" for breeding, and are why we get them. They are part of CT and Merry restoration programs...

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Correct. Most stocked broods are reported as "past peak" for breeding, and are why we get them. They are part of CT and Merry restoration programs...
Thank you sir. It seems"we" got the right idea.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:13 PM »

I just talked to U.S Fish & Wildlife who are in charge of raising and releasing these magnificant fish. I am waiting for some more information before i say much more.

I do and have targeted salmon since they began releasing them. In many of the early releases they put them in some too shallow ponds and as temps rose Salmon rolled over

This fish is 6-8 years old and  has some tell tale signs of holding over.

I have to go, the truck driver said that fish was small compared to 3 that he let go this fall in there.      reelucky
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:16 PM »

I just talked to U.S Fish & Wildlife who are in charge of raising and releasing these magnificant fish. I am waiting for some more information before i say much more.

I do and have targeted salmon since they began releasing them. In many of the early releases they put them in some too shallow ponds and as temps rose Salmon rolled over

This fish is 6-8 years old and  has some tell tale signs of holding over.

I have to go, the truck driver said that fish was small compared to 3 that he let go this fall in there.      reelucky

Great. Looking forward to the info. My post is not an attempt to put down this great catch BTW. 

US F & W runs the restoration program. But isn't the pond stocking managed by MA F & G??

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:36 PM »
You sure it's a salmon and not a monster brown?  The tail makes me think brown (too square ended for salmon, which are normally more forked).

But great fish nonetheless! ;D
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline biggvinn2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish or go home
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:25 PM »
WHAT A HUGE FISH!!! HATS OFF TO YA.
Women love me , fish fear me!!!!!!

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:33 PM »

US F & W runs the restoration program. But isn't the pond stocking managed by MA F & G??
That is correct.

Sorry if we hijacked your thread reelucky.

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Great catch,congratulations,hope to see  pictures of the mount!!!!!!!

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:32 PM »
Reelucky, Real Lucky WTG :bow: Most people will never have a chance at a fish like that. I'm jealous, Congrats.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:37 PM »
 :o  Impressive  :o    wtg

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:59 PM »
hey lucky; I see that jigging pole beside the fish, did you catch that fish jigging??? If you did ,i'm forwarding those pictures to Dave Genz the self proclaimed "king of jigging" He'll never be the same!!!!!! makes that 10 pounder i caught on sat. look like BAIT!!!!!!!!  congrats        KK

Offline knotty buoy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • " Life is good "
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:41 PM »
Fantastic fish !!!! That's the stuff dreams are made of !!! Congrats !!!
"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."

Paul O'Neil

Offline Roy L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:16 PM »
Congrats on a very nice fish. Im picking one up that I had done..Soon. I'll let you know how it came out if your looking for a taxidermist? Not to argue with anyone, but I have caught 1000's of these fish and average about 30-60 a year & out of all the ones ive kept (yes my limit, no I don't keep them all) only one  had something in it's belly. I have caught many after the summer that have no body to them and they look like snakes. I have also talked to many biologist on the hold over subject, and they have told me that these fish do not survive. Not that it can't happen, but 98% won't make the first year. They do make it thru the summer, but not in good shape, it's finding and catching food that is there main problem. Most of them barely have teeth. The state use to kill these fish after a few years, but now put them in for anglers to enjoy & have a chance to catch a fish that normaly you would have to go out side the state to enjoy.

Either Way nice fish

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:36 AM »
Congrats, that is an awesome fish :o. Thanks for sharing.
👮👮👮

Offline Crazy-Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Daaaamn! Sweet fish.I hope I get one like that someday.Been trying for 35 years! LOL Great job. :o :o
If it was that easy,everyone would do it!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:46 PM »
sweet fish. are there any in eastern mass?

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:52 PM »
sweet fish. are there any in eastern mass?

Stocked all over the state. Lots on the cape. Go to masswildlife.org for listings.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:05 PM »
thanks

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.