Author Topic: Tell Me  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tell Me
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Here she is...about 3.5" long, I have several larger in the tank. Same fish.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:35 PM »
I think you may have nailed it pasquatch.  the only difference I noticed, which you can't see in the original pic is the fish almost looked transparent and you could see a black line, or it's spine running the length of the fish.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

grumpymoe

« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:46 PM »
I think you may have nailed it pasquatch

Almost looks like a big emerald shiner

I would agree slipbob....but they are awfully huge......Grump

I third that!  mail some to me....it looks like great Pike bait

Trophy shiner.   run it to the taxidermist.
                                                                                                       I had to go back and have a second look.....Emerald Shiner.....nice to boot....Grump......goo d one everyone.....for those of you who insisted it was a smelt.............bait fish 201 coming up.....Grump :roflmao:                                                                                           

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:51 PM »
doesnt matter what it is it looks like awesome pike bait tho
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:06 PM »

Couldn't have been a smelt because it lacks the adipose fin on the back. Want to say its an emerald, which in my neck of the pond they call Niagra's(I believe). Take one last look at the dorsal fin if there's a black blotch at the base towards the tail it may be a spotfin shiner, which are very common and resemble the emeralds.

Offline icemaster_71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Time to cath the Kahuna this year!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:48 PM »
I agree with transplant it's definately pike bait to me. 
Dont let the big one get away!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:00 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if it was an emerald.  We can get them readily at bait shops and people could have thrown them in there.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:13 PM »
A niagra is also a fish of its own  . a smelt and a niagra are two different things

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:20 PM »
ITS A EMERALD SHINER  (Notropis atherinoides)

May reach lengths of 5 inches in  the Great Lakes

Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:19 PM »
Its the bast#rd child of jaws

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Here in Wis. we'd call it an Emerald Shiner which is our favorite bait on tip ups for Pike in the winter and small Muskie in shallow water in the summer. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:38 PM »
I know them as Buckeyes.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:19 PM »

I know the difference between a smelt and an emerald, but I have Niagra's in the tank right now and they do look just like this emerald in the post and I thought, it was a local name for emeralds. There isin't any minnow or shiner or fish in general with the common name of Niagra in any of my books. The bait shop I worked at never sold emeralds, they called them Niagra's, so that's where my assumption comes from. I don't have a digital camera, anybody got a pic of a Niagara? I've heard of Buckeye's, but no one around me sell's anything called a buckeye, so I can't say on that one.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Emeralds, Buckeyes, Niagra's, Hunts  w/e you call them they are the same :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:39 PM »

Yeah, that's what I thought, all depends on where you are :tipup:. All you need is a couple 2,3 a dem and were all set ,eh? Where's the friggin ice!!  ;)

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:28 PM »
I am not sure as to what kind of fish you have, but I am sure it is not a smelt! First off it's missing at least two fins and the mouth is wrong. I have caught, cleaned and eaten a good deal of smelt. We use to dip net them after dark from tributaries of Lake Michigan during their spring spawning run. Then spend the next day cleaning them. Cleaning is quite simple but tedious, two snips with a scissors. One for the head,the second down the belly and a swipe of a finger all done. Next comes the beer batter and the deep fryer! Delicious!

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:29 AM »
 I had to go back and have a second look.....Emerald Shiner.....nice to boot....Grump......goo d one everyone.....for those of you who insisted it was a smelt.............bait fish 201 coming up.....Grump.

After further review of the new evidence I am wrong.  Thats what happen when a rookie takes on a maniac.  Grump you are infinitely wise! :bow: :bow: :bow:                                                                                             
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:48 AM »
I think the consensus is an Emerald Shiner.  Thanks everyone for helping solve the mysterious fish.   ;D  This may explain why the crappies in this lake have grown significantly from last year and green seems to be the best color.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:54 AM »
It's definitely a bass, but I can't quite figure out if it's a largemouth or smallmouth?  Hmmm...let's see, DOES IT REALLY MATTER?!   :D ;)

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:22 PM »
unless you can't see it in the picture, a smelt has an adipose fin between the dorsal and tail like a trout. this one doesn't have one, so it can't be a smelt.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:50 PM »
could be a fallfish, or a common shiner or a spottailed shiner,  What did it taste like?

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:22 PM »
A few years back had a bunch of them in the shallows of my home lake. The bass ended up schooling them up and just picked them off til they were gone, but its just somebodys bait that grew up. THERES A REASON THEY TELL YOU NOT TO DUMP YOUR BAIT IN THE LAKE.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Looks like a small fish on a hook to me......But heck, what do I know!!! :-\
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:16 PM »
I just went down and checked my ocean smelts and its definately not a smelt. SORRY i guess i would have to say an emerald shiner. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.