Author Topic: "Gear"............ When does it amount to "too much".....in YOUR opinion?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Can't catch em' on the couch
Yesterday my friend said, "You are just 'old school' aren't you?" Turned 76 Dec. 24th.
I guess I am. Still use lantern box with Colman lantern. Two 5' rods with Schooley reels, 2# test Stren ice line. I have a 5' Mora hand auger with Lazer blade set up. Wire rod holders I place  in front of holes. An ice scoop and wax worms. LOTS of jigs, many purchased and many that I've tied.
With all the electronics and shanty I don't have, I amaze myself that I do catch a few fish. Fished with two friends yesterday that had Vexes and a camera and caught just as few as they did! ;D ;D
A 25 fish limit is fine with me. I have a freezer with lots of fish every year!
Teach

...turned 32 this past November 5th.  My values, so I'm told, sometimes make me's think I'm 72.  I like old school.  I like things done the hard way, that make you work that make you earn respect.  My best days hunting and fishing were days mother nature showed me something incredible, not necessarily a fish or deer. 

Deer season blessed me with some serious head gear that was 120 yards out during bow season that took the path right by the stand I wasn't sitting in.  Another was seeing a great horned owl perch on a tree, that was so big I first thought it was a turkey.  Another morning 30 minutes before sun up I reached for the rattlin horns in my tree stand and not once but twice had some bird of prey (an owl?) pass so close to my movement I was worried about my eyes being pecked out! 

Fishing never ceases to amaze me.  Hardwater is a new love.  I started out with a lantern sled, freezing my butt off and staring at my grandpas white mickey's.  A bucket.  A schooley.  Mousies and beemoths. 7 years ago right before my first child I bought my first shanty.  Now i have the flasher, propane powered auger, short rods, long rods, jiggin rods, a flip over a pop up...I ask myself these very questions.  The flasher, 100% biggest increase in fish caught and love using for depth/bottom checks.  The shanty, makes it last longer.  This weekend, avoiding the hefty winds in my flipover, heater going, 2 tip ups out, deadstick in one hole and me jiggin my heart out below the flasher in the other hole, few fish on the ice, my biggest perch ever, I decided to go deeper.  Brave the cold i said.  Embrace it.  Love it.  I drilled my way to deeper water, loaded the shanty, pulled one of my tip ups , put in the shanty and my last move was pulling my last tip up.  I turned to see the flag pointing straight to the heavens.  Ran over, and found this.  My first fish on a tip up.  The suprise, anticipation of not knowing what's about to come out of the hole.  I'm hooked lined and sinkered.  The gear helps make it interesting, boiled down, I do it for me, for time on the ice and for reflection.  Bottom line, if you're on the ice or in nature, I hope the experience leaves a lasting memory

Tight lines and loose morals!

Offline Onlyhalfnuts

• IceShanty Rookie
Loved the read!!!  While I wish to increase the catch and involve more creature comforts as I age I have followed the old school path for some 5 decades afield and will stand by my believes of the benefits thereof!! 
My deer hunting too has only now turned to "something easier".  It's that or not hunt at all but I will never match the hunts on foot with a longbow in hand and home made cedar arrows, nor expect to. My cup runneth over in that area.

God bless!!!!
Steve
Always looking for a place to ice fish where an old fart don't have hundreds of yards to walk....please. 
God Bless

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.