The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Auger  (Read 3481 times)

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Auger
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2015, 01:26 PM »
To add to my above post, I'm currently using 7" mora. Pulled 5-6 lb walleye threw the hole with no issues. Also Millwaukee now has a larger battery with 40% more run time that will add more holes per battery. & I'm using the 1/2" drill/driver & the Fuel Hammer drill delivers a little more torque @ 725 foot lbs so that may add more holes per battery. Hope this helps
Don't horse em!

Offline maxsr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:32 PM »
I have a gas auger and would tell you to go with the new battery operated ones less problems and easy to use my buddy has one and I am thinking about selling my strikemaster and getting one of them. Just a thought..... good luck
Maxsr

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Eskimo has always treated my family great and will stick with the Eskimo brand until it proves otherwise.

I couldn't have said it any better. 

Offline IrishSlabHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IrishSlabHunter
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Do those battery powered models have a replaceable battery?

Yes they do. I'm on my third year with the original battery and still going strong.

Offline cropburner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:33 PM »
Thanks, would be nice to go on a trip with a spare, and not have to replace the whole auger if the battery crapped out.

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2015, 04:51 PM »
I bought the Eskimo mako 8" this year and I absolutely love it already
A watched flag never flies

Offline tadeusz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Finally I'm planing to purchase one of the power augers  propane or gas.I want to know from you guys what are the adwantage or disadwantage this to kinds of augers.My concern about to buy gas power auger is the smell of the gas.I have to keep that in my car and I don't want left that not nice smell.Anybody with experience with that please give me respond.

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Smell never bothered me just make sure the caps on tight and u don't spill any on the auger when filling it up
A watched flag never flies

Offline icedd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2015, 06:07 AM »
I've got a pro 4 great auger but little heavy just bought a strike master Electra laser 12000 works great drilled 35 holes in a foot of ice still had a full charge great no smell no pulling to start just push the button if I like the pro 4 starts 1 or 2 pulls every time any weather

Offline stanpjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:30 PM »
I bought a Jiffy 4g 4stroke from glens army navy last year. Has the ripper 8" auger. A little heavy, does some serious drilling, quiet.$415.00 no shipping costs.    @)

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I have a ion battery electric augar this year and just absolutely love the thing. After watching my friends for last couplr years drilling many many holes with theirs I finally came over to the electric still have my strikemaster lazur 8 in but don't even care to use it!! No gas no fumes lighter in weight instant starts no warm up and the battery charge last longer than I would ever use.Did I mention quiet!!!!! when something new comes out us old timers are a bit skeptical to give up our old ways but once u do it makes so much more sense.
To each his own but once u try one you will want one!!!!!!!!!!!

Jarhead(Bill)

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2015, 03:15 PM »
I use the Milwaukee 18v Fuel with an 8" Nils, in a foot of ice I can usually get somewhere around 80 holes for 2 batteries, and I do keep the batteries in a little Igloo cooler with a handwarmer in between dish towels to keep them warm.
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

Offline Mt.Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:57 PM »
I purchased an Eskimo Mako 8" and have been very pleased with it. Starts easy. I also use the Truefuel.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:02 AM »
Recently I acquired a new Clam 6in auger,extension and drill plate kit. I highly recommend the extension. Needless to say I'm loving it. I use it with a Ryobi p270 18v, 1/2in tool and a 2.65 amphr li-on battery pack. On Friday I test drilled 25 holes in 8in plus of ice. I had plenty of power to spare. Saturday I took it out to Marsh Creek Lake. It drilled 20 plus holes through 12 or 13 in of ice. Once again I had plenty of power to spare. I don't think I'll be lugging my 7 in Mora around any longer, no need for it now. Likewise for my model 30 Jiffy gas auger, unless the ice exceeds 20 in or so. I'm trying to save weight and cut back on the work. When you get to my age that's important. I like the Clam setup very much.
As for the people using the Clam system with 7 and 8 in augers, It's no wonder you're only drilling eight holes. I think the Clam setup works best with a 6in auger. It's not your drill maybe, and it's not the battery. It's to large of an auger. You need to ask your selves whether or not you've ever caught a fish that couldn't be brought up through a 6in hole and what is the maximum girth of a fish that can go through 6in hole(trust me it'll be a big'un). When you can answer these questions you'll see that you don't need an 8in hole. Hell, an 8in hole is an SOB to drill through 6in or more of ice to start with by hand. Drilling only 8 to 12 holes or so before the battery dies is a limitation to begin with. Just go out and get a compatible 6in auger for you're Clam setup, you won't be sorry. Just make sure you're using a 18 or higher volt lithium battery powered driver/drill that has a 1/2in removable(ie. threaded chuck) assembly, and a minimum of 325in lbs of torque. You should do just fine. I do not recommend  a Bosch tool. Some of their models do not have a removable chuck. That's my experience with the new Clam driver/drill drill plate kit so far. Remember Mr. 8in auger, long after you're batteries are dead, I'll still be drilling new holes. Same goes for you 007in hole poker. ::) ::) ??? ???
ttt

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:23 PM »
6" no big enough  :nono:

Offline chuck22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:54 PM »
I just got my Eskimo z51 shark and love it I got the 8 inch and have drilled at least 200 holes with it so far beats the snot out of drilling by hand specially when the ice is 15 inch thick

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:46 PM »
I just got my Eskimo z51 shark and love it I got the 8 inch and have drilled at least 200 holes with it so far beats the snot out of drilling by hand specially when the ice is 15 inch thick

X2 - Once you have a power auger you'll never want to be without it on thick ice.

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:20 PM »
hey friedline, I too had a old mora hand, the blades are easy to sharpen, if the pitch isn't right it wont cut ice no matter how sharp they are

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Eskimo propane  IMO only way to go. I don't know where this rumor of them being heavy came from but they are second lightest auger in the Eskimo line. Because of the High compression motor they were able to keep the motor small, and still have lots of power. It is the quietest power auger on every lake I have been on. Thing I like the best is you will not have carb problems as the propane just evaporates. My 12 year old has no problem running it.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:59 AM »
My friend has a ion auger it quiet but it is a lot heavier than my 22lb gas auger and I can out drill it 2-1 .

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:06 AM »
My friend has a ion auger it quiet but it is a lot heavier than my 22lb gas auger and I can out drill it 2-1 .

A lot heavier???  The ion weighs in at 22lbs with the auger attached.  I also drilled approximately 30 holes through 16-20 inches of ice and that was the first time that I have drained the battery to the point where it wouldn't cut well.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 10, 2015, 03:07 PM »
If I may ask, what gas auger do you have that only weighs 22 lbs?

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2015, 03:32 PM »
Must be the nills

CowDawg

« Reply #53 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:30 PM »
I have an older Strike Master Mora 8"... It was in storage in my garage for a while, got it out several weeks ago and the engine still runs like a bear but can't tweak the carb. to idle proper..
Got the carb. rebuild kit on order, should be here any day this week.. Hopefully it should be as good as new!!!!!!

Offline PA-Newb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:28 PM »
This thread was very helpful. I used to be dad's music lessons as a kid as we chipped all our holes in Mass. Getting back out of  the ice now living in Bucks and looking into augers and wasn't sure about 6" v. 8". After reading many of these posts I'm thinking 8". But will still still keep with a hand auger. Any recommendations  to locations to purchase one?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.