Author Topic: Go to panfish set up  (Read 3681 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Go to panfish set up
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:07 PM »
i built my rod, it's a 32" light power fast tip with an ultralight spinning reel (brand is shakespeare not sure on model) spooled with 14lb flame green fireline, and a 2' 4lb flourocarbon leader.

i'm a big proponent for braid, but i really like fireline so far, every hit was obvious, even the lightest bumps; and i could feel even the smallest jigs in my box with ease.

as for fishing area, my first task is locating either a weedbed or a dropoff, i drill holes 10 paces apart, then check with my sonar until i find some kind of structure or the edge of the dropoff. once i find that, i'll drop a line and see if anything is down there, if not i keep moving. i don't set up the shelter until i find fish, and once it's set up i pepper the area with holes for dead rods.

if i stop catching fish, or they move out of the area, i start searching again, beginning with the dead rod holes then moving along the shoreline looking for weeds or a dropoff as before.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Like Ice Scratcher, I should have mentioned Schooley rods. I own several and always have at least one in my bucket. And I still think, for panfish, it is one of the best set ups.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:13 PM »
scratcher, not really sporting to get the fish drunk so you can catchem, lol wire

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:19 PM »
scratcher, not really sporting to get the fish drunk so you can catchem, lol wire

LOL! Nah, that's just a little tiny can I put in my pictures to make my fish look big!  ;)

<*)))>{

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:38 AM »
I'm old school..

I run Schoolies style exclusively..

The original in line...

<°)))>{
same, and drill,drill,drill till you find them
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:47 AM »
TB Perch Sweetheart / Fishing 13 Teardrop, Custom Ryno Quiverstick / 6061. Worth every $.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.