Author Topic: Fishing without a shanty  (Read 4411 times)

Offline thomps

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing without a shanty
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:32 PM »
in the 70's I would bring a little chunk of ply wood for my pup to stand on and  never jigged in a shanty

Offline KCRAPPIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Good Gloves, I try to keep my toes moving all the time. As for the the dog, my fat lab loves the ice, just like me the colder the better.....

Offline milo44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:07 PM »
my Buddy's grandfather had a wooden box/sled that he pulled out on the ice it had enough room to hold all the tipups and rods and bait the auger would ride on top....then when we got out there and all set up..he pulled out a trap cut to length..his sled  had spot for 4 pieces of 1/2 inch conduit  and the tarp would get wrapped around the conduit  and it would act as a 3 sided wind block...and under the lid he would put a little heater work very well for what it was..

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:27 PM »
You can get a used shack or a new hub style for cheap! I like fishing outside most but I wear the right clothing so its not an issue. The hub style shacks are roomy and very light and easy to setup. You would be warm and the pooch would be happy.
Fishin red lines

Offline Icy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:58 PM »
 :tipup:Chase some tip ups.......that warms me up!!!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:25 PM »
A good beard is always helpfull
  I suggested this to my wife......she's got a pretty good one going after only two weeks!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:14 PM »
I haven't fished in the open like that in over10 years, unless it's warm and I'm sitting on my Quick Flip sled with the tent folded down.  I remember having a Buddy heater and a 5 gal bucket to sit on.  Unless it was above 10 or 20, I froze.  The Buddy was good for thawing out my hands, but not much else.  If it was windy, which it usually was, the Buddy didn't work at all. Buying a flip over was the best thing I did.  If I were you, I would get a hub, heater and a dog bed.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:25 PM »
    Get a striker suit , problem solved!!  Added bonus if you go in it floats!!
Problem not solved, a Striker Suit costs as much as two portable shacks.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:46 PM »
If you have a sled and it's windy out you can prop it up and sit with your back to the inside of the sled so it breaks the wind which will help.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:10 AM »
When I fish with somebody I always bring my shanty because I don't want them to get cold and want to leave..lol..

A good expedition style down parka with fur on the hood, a two layers of wool are your best friend IMO.. Even synthetics/poly are way better than cotton..

When alone, I fish without a shanty often.. The main thing is having a heater to warm your hands, especially after dealing with huge walleye (reaching in the hole/water to put the grip of death on their head) You cant just yank a 10+ pound walleye out of a hole with 6lb line..

On windy days a good windbreak helps immensely.. Not only to keep you warm but helps to detect light bites easier, and your holes wont fill with blowing snow or freeze over as quick...

I made my own sled, it weighs 65lbs, but it pulls like 10lbs, on windy days I flip it on its side and add another section for a wind break.. With the sled behind me and a good heater in front of me I can stay out forever...

Maybe these pictures will give you some ideas...

Notice my heater is at hand warming level...

This was over two miles out on lake Erie... (on long walks it helps to take your coat off, and even wear regular hiking boots, switch to your warm boots as soon as you get on your spot) You can see my hiking boots laying on the ice...

<*)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:15 AM »
About your dog FWIW...

I have fished with one of my buddies for over 25 years now. Over that time he has had at least a few different dogs on the ice with us. He has always brought a tanned deer hide for his dogs to lay on.. They always seem to lay on it once they get bored/settled in.. They seem to look comfortable anyway...

Good luck to the both of ya!!

<*)))>{

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2015, 04:08 AM »
Very nice Ice Scratcher!  :thumbsup:

Nice set up!

WS

Offline woodstock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2015, 05:11 AM »
Eat before you go out and take some food and a thermos with you. Your body needs energy to stay warm, that's were the heat comes from. Jerky, candy bars or energy bars are all good. Warm drinks are a quick energy transfer. Just my 2 cents worth but it's been working for me for years.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2015, 05:24 AM »
My son and I fish outside the shanty a lot. We always take it plus the buddy heater,we run and gun for gills and crappies.Pattern seems  that we start in the shanty on sub cold days then start exploring outside the shanty,then end up late day back in the shanty.You always warm up in the shanty.I personally think that you can get a little to comfortable in the shanty and sit over nonproductive water.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2015, 11:12 AM »
Very nice Ice Scratcher!  :thumbsup:

Nice set up!

WS

Thanks man!!

I've been using a sled like that for about 21 years now...

<*)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2015, 11:44 AM »
Thanks to the mods for cleaning up the irrelevant side track!!

Good luck on your next outing!!

<*)))>{

Offline 8fly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Make a lean to on the ice..two alluminum poles a military poncho or small tarp. attach poles to eskimo ice anchors and screw in attach tarp..blocks the wind.
 if you have a cordless drill just drill two small 1" or so holes in the ice for the lean to...if the wind shifts you only really have to reposition one pole.
 Cheap, light and works....

as far as the dog, my english springer would kick my butt if i took him on the ice and he doesn't at least see a pheasant for his troubles. Do you have one of the small insulated kennels like when goose hunting a field in a layout blind...he could go in there to warm up

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:50 PM »
We always have a fire

Offline krazyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:39 AM »
L.L. bean sells some really nice boots that are rated to -25 degrees Fahrenheit. I plan on buying some as soon as I can to help keep me warm.
All fish welcome - even suckers!

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:44 AM »
Layers, turtleneck, hoodie, and something for rover to lay on

Offline Ramapomtn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:33 AM »
Thanks for the info about limp tail... I will watch the temps for sure before taking the dog out with me. 

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Fished without a shanty for many years.....finally got one last year.....prefer open fishing for da most part......but sometimes a shanty makes the trip.....especially on windy days or for site fishing.....game changer
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Yes Wool! Warm even when wet!
   x2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Eat before you go out and take some food and a thermos with you. Your body needs energy to stay warm, that's were the heat comes from. Jerky, candy bars or energy bars are all good. Warm drinks are a quick energy transfer. Just my 2 cents worth but it's been working for me for years.

That's the best advice yet.  :thumbsup:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline blacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2015, 04:38 PM »
an ECWCS (6th layer) kit and some of the old, army, mickey mouse, arctic, boots. cheapest and best way i know to stay warm and dry no matter what the conditions. i just layer according to temperature. also dont wear cotton, ever. fleece or wool and silk are good.

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2015, 04:41 PM »
I love cover wont like it with out it.might not even go with out it.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:16 AM »
an ECWCS (6th layer) kit and some of the old, army, mickey mouse, arctic, boots. cheapest and best way i know to stay warm and dry no matter what the conditions. i just layer according to temperature. also dont wear cotton, ever. fleece or wool and silk are good.
cotton baaaaadddddd :nono:

Offline Hyland33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:26 AM »
I've never fished with a shelter of any kind. The only time it really sucks is if it's windy. Once the Suns up its usually not bad. That being said, I am considering buying a clam shelter this year haha
-Andrew
Newfound Circus

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:31 AM »
Any of the two man hubs would work for hiking in.  Probably around 20 pounds and come with carrying bags.  Not sure how some of you guys fish outside in bitter cold and wind.  Line gets blown around, does not sink, holes freeze, eyelets freeze, not to mention hands and feet.  Spent half the day yesterday in 0 weather 20 mph winds, then had to bust out hut.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:42 AM »
Problem not solved, a Striker Suit costs as much as two portable shacks.

Think of it as a very cheap life insurance policy that also keeps you nice and toasty warm... worth double it's weight in gold on frigid days.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.