Author Topic: Looking back to the old days Of Ice fishing.... Share your stories.  (Read 9390 times)

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm from Salem  born in methuen. I dont recall them. Where were they located?

Been to both shops...DiGlorias was near an intersection of 495 and 110 in Methuen (same road as Tomborrello’s junk yard) and Froton was off of Lawrence Rd between that and Butler St. It may actually have been Butler St? Just checked and it was Tyler St.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Been to both shops...DiGlorias was near an intersection of 495 and 110 in Methuen (same road as Tomborrello’s junk yard) and Froton was off of Lawrence Rd between that and Butler St. It may actually have been Butler St? Just checked and it was Tyler St.

Ding! Ding Ding!  Yes, DiGlorias was on Merrimack and Froton's Bait was on Tyler St.  Not sure if it was just me but the guy at DiGloria's was a salty SOB.  Hated going in there, really, but the fish made me do it!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm from Salem  born in methuen. I dont recall them. Where were they located?

See above.  But this was quite some time ago. Late 70s - early 80s, as I recall.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ding! Ding Ding!  Yes, DiGlorias was on Merrimack and Froton's Bait was on Tyler St.  Not sure if it was just me but the guy at DiGloria's was a salty SOB.  Hated going in there, really, but the fish made me do it!

never liked the owner, his wife was pleasant, I only went there a few times, I lived near there for awhile just off Marston street. , Bill's bait just down the street had more variety and better bait, he had Tommies,suckers ,red fins and goldens as well as river dace...  no one mentioned Ray and Ron's on the North Andover /Lawrence line right  bye the rail road tracks..they had good bait and for a number of years ran a season long tournament..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Missileman

• IceShanty Rookie
I was around 11-12 years old when I went ice fishing the first time. I went with a friend of mines dad that worked at some gravel pits. The thing I remember the most was the coffee can with charcoal and collecting bait to fish with. We would walk in along the railroad tracks to the pit and he would have us pick goldenrod galls. I thought he was crazy but every one of those goldenrod gall had a larvae in it. I didn’t have a dad growing up 2 of my friends dads were always happy to fill in when it came to teaching me about hunting and fishing. The one gentleman is still alive and tying flies. He must be in his early 90s. He gave me my first fly rod and taught me how to use it and tie buck tail jigs.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes he wasn’t the most pleasant guy to deal with...only went there when I had to.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
We would walk in along the railroad tracks to the pit and he would have us pick goldenrod galls. I thought he was crazy but every one of those goldenrod gall had a larvae in it.

That's very cool. Talk about being resourceful.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac

OK... Only last summer did I get the rest of the story that goes along with this picture, The Gent holding the striped bass is a Plum Island ledged by the name of Bob Smith...  When I was a young man, he had a classic McKensey (Sp.) Bass boat. powerd by a 273 Chrysler marine engine and straight inboard , built  with a stern rudder and stern controls, that boat was made for fishing the rips Like the Sow and Pigs, Quicks hole and the hens and Chickens to name a few. I've always had  a nostalgic heart for the way it used to be ( maybe that's why I run a 43 year old boat), it broke my heart when he sold it because he was too old to keep up with the maintenance any longer.. Bob is alive and well . in his mid 90's.. still walks the beaches of plum Island casting  classic plugs into the surf... Now the rest of the story.

I ran into Bob last spring at the marina ( no mask, he's a cancer survivor that said if cancer cant kill him, he wasn't afraid of no Chinese flu).. anyway, I invited him to spend a few hours tossing plugs  from the boat... we talked about the old days, big fish and those that are no longer here, I asked him about  the picture that I came across and had on my phone, with the grin of a mischievous 10 year old, he told me the story..
It seems, he and his wife  were  returning from seeing a friend down the cape ( cod).. as he passed the Mystic river he spotted a friend fishing and went out to see how he was doing, he explained to his friend that he had just returned from the taxidermist with a 58lb striped bass he had mounted, the two concocted a scheme and the picture was taken, he told me there might be only 2 or three people still alive that know the origin of that picture... so now you know the REST OF THE STORY.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great additions to a great thread, Missileman and Joe.
It was awful nice of you to take that ol' gent out tossing plugs from your boat, Joe. I'm sure you made his day!
I'll bet you two shared some great stories of striper fishing, plugs and more.
Thanks much for starting this post, Wayne and those that revive and add to it each year.  :) 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great additions to a great thread, Missileman and Joe.
It was awful nice of you to take that ol' gent out tossing plugs from your boat, Joe. I'm sure you made his day!
I'll bet you two shared some great stories of striper fishing, plugs and more.
Thanks much for starting this post, Wayne and those that revive and add to it each year.  :)

I remember as a youngster in a 14' home made plywood boat just drifting with the tide watching him maneuver that boat. taking care to keep his bait in the danger zone,it was men like him that made me who I am,the least I could do is give a little back.. its men like him that  are the reason I give free seminars to give back in honor of those that taught me through their actions, the rest was up to me, but they planted the seed., I provided the desire.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I remember as a youngster in a 14' home made plywood boat just drifting with the tide watching him maneuver that boat. taking care to keep his bait in the danger zone, it was men like him that made me who I am,the least I could do is give a little back.. its men like him that  are the reason I give free seminars to give back in honor of those that taught me through their actions, the rest was up to me, but they planted the seed., I provided the desire.
I know the desire was and is there!
taking care to keep his bait in the danger zone,
I know exactly what you mean by that! His inboard must have helped a lot. Kudos to you for studying his tactics and applying them. My questions now are, Did many people fish that zone then? Do many people fish that zone now other than kayaks and you?
You would need some serious desire to build a 14' boat, at 14! Doubt you used marine plywood? Must have used plenty of caulk? Did you have anything pushing it besides your arms? Did you take it through the mouth?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great thread to bring back, lots of good stories.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I know the desire was and is there!I know exactly what you mean by that! His inboard must have helped a lot. Kudos to you for studying his tactics and applying them. My questions now are, Did many people fish that zone then? Do many people fish that zone now other than kayaks and you?
You would need some serious desire to build a 14' boat, at 14! Doubt you used marine plywood? Must have used plenty of caulk? Did you have anything pushing it besides your arms? Did you take it through the mouth?

Alot of people knew the "spot" not many knew how to work it.. no t much has changed, most people are clueless, they will see me working it , make a pass or two with no results and move on..the most valuable thing I ever learned, was to have your presentation where the fish are, it doesnt matter if you are drifting in a boat or chest deep in the surf, most fish have a confort zone, if you dont present to that zone
You are fishing, but rarely catching

As far as the 14' boat, it was a project my Dad and I did as father and son he got the plans from popular mechanics, the seams were put together with tar, that little boat weighed a ton,the old timers always teased me saying they knew where I was by listening for my constant bailing..the rig was powered by a 1956 18 hp evinrude, another project my dad and I did together,we also made the trailer from scrap from the junk yard, that is where I learned how to weld..I still have that ancient Lincon welder, it's one of the few things I have left from my father_/ child hood, serious skills and awesome memories not withstanig.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
No shanty,  no augers (spud), 5 gal. bucket for seat,  lantern for heat 🙄, old rod blank stuck in a 1×1 piece of wood for handle w/no reels (nails in handle to wrap 6# line around...no micro lines) , sponge bobbers,  limited amount of jigs available, lead weight to find bottom (no electronic locators). And we caught fish.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Except for the rods,(we made our own out of broken rods), that exactly how we fished for lakers! 1/2 ounce jig with a chunk of snagged sucker meat. Spudded the hole, and used a chunk of lead to mark the bottom. Fished from first light to dark some days, but we did catch fish!
Froze our azzes of most days...thank God for Army Surplus! Lol
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wow some serious stories. Excellent reading.  Thanks to you all for keeping this going.  It keeps my mind off the current world drama.  Building boats and welding etc. Crafting your own fishing vessels is really something.  You grew up in a good era. I've met lots of good people here. This site allowed me to meet and fish with good people. You all know who you are.  Keep the memories alive. Good stuff . Joe your description of the Striper and taxidermy is funny. You showed me that photo before or you shared it here I don't remember. I shared it with ian and he called it I remember him saying it looked like a mounted fish. Guess the biologist called it. I always thought it was real. That picture is cool either way but had me fooled.
Salmonemia

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Always went ice fishing with my year-round fishing buddy. In the late 70's, early 80's, we used his old spoon auger, that finally managed to get thru the ice, I think, from all the heat generated by cranking it because it was so danged dull.  ::)
Used an old Schooley rod, no reel on it, wound line between the two "L" shaped pegs. Bait shops always had these for sale, and some Holiday gas stations, too.  Used the little black and white sponge bobber that came with the Schooley, and small baithold hooks tipped with minnow or worm. The depth-finder was the lug nut string special. Five gal pail for gear carry and seat. Got pretty chilly out there when the wind started whipping across that ice......sure don't miss that! But, we caught fish....mainly because we knew the area like the back of our hand from fishing it year round. That's always the secret....know the area.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Alot of people knew the "spot" not many knew how to work it.. no t much has changed, most people are clueless, they will see me working it , make a pass or two with no results and move on..the most valuable thing I ever learned, was to have your presentation where the fish are, it doesnt matter if you are drifting in a boat or chest deep in the surf, most fish have a confort zone, if you dont present to that zone
You are fishing, but rarely catching

As far as the 14' boat, it was a project my Dad and I did as father and son he got the plans from popular mechanics, the seams were put together with tar, that little boat weighed a ton,the old timers always teased me saying they knew where I was by listening for my constant bailing..the rig was powered by a 1956 18 hp evinrude, another project my dad and I did together,we also made the trailer from scrap from the junk yard, that is where I learned how to weld..I still have that ancient Lincon welder, it's one of the few things I have left from my father_/ child hood, serious skills and awesome memories not withstanig.
Understood on the "spot" and knowing where the bait should be, Joe.
I remember Popular Mechanics and the projects they used to have. I enjoyed reading that magazine.
Re: your 14' "woody", Sounds like a lesson in resourcefulness! I imagine it was pretty heavy. Did the tar ever heal enough so it didn't get on you and other things on a hot day? 
My father and I worked on countless projects together. They were all on his farm doing what he wanted/needed done!  ;)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Understood on the "spot" and knowing where the bait should be, Joe.
I remember Popular Mechanics and the projects they used to have. I enjoyed reading that magazine.
Re: your 14' "woody", Sounds like a lesson in resourcefulness! I imagine it was pretty heavy. Did the tar ever heal enough so it didn't get on you and other things on a hot day? 
My father and I worked on countless projects together. They were all on his farm doing what he wanted/needed done!  ;)

Dad mixed the tar with ( roofing tar) with saw dust, I remember him mixing something with pine pitch as well.. but the tar... no it made a mess.. and  yes the boat was VERY heavy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.