Author Topic: UV LED lure dip cup for my vexilar.  (Read 17630 times)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: UV LED lure dip cup for my vexilar.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Well done.  :thumbsup:

How would you rate it on blue glow jigs ?

I never use blue jigs. So right now I'd say it works perfect on them. If I ever use one I could give an actual report. :P

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2014, 05:35 PM »
The color of the light is due to them being approximations, inexpensive at that, of the proper nanometer wave lengths to properly activate the glow qualities of the phosphorescent paint used on glow jigs/lures.

I feel the attempts to convey this in previous post/threads were unsuccessful on my part, for which I apologize, but, I really thought I made that fact perfectly clear.    Again, sorry.

The easy fix is a  http://lurelightning.com/

this is the method that works for me also this will be my 3rd season using it i mounted it ontop of my hummingbird though not on the side

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Got the ruff idea from another poster on here, so I made a removable UV LED lure dip cup for night fishing glow lures.

Very well done! Love the simplicity and it looks to work wonderfully as well!!!!

Light looks similar to these
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/803763-alpena-max-led-auto-lighting.html

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Very well done! Love the simplicity and it looks to work wonderfully as well!!!!

Light looks similar to these
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/803763-alpena-max-led-auto-lighting.html

Looks to be priced a bit high. Here is what I got.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:52 PM »
Here is my build from 4yrs ago.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

kinda neat, where did you get the led lights? from a flash light?

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Works perfect. I use it for jigs and have it rigged on a switch. Drop them in the hole spin them around for a bit and back down the hole with the jig.

Hey Mud, like the idea! Can you list your components and where you purchased them? I would like to add this to my Vex.

THX & Merry Christmas!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2014, 02:36 PM »
Hey Mud, like the idea! Can you list your components and where you purchased them? I would like to add this to my Vex.

THX & Merry Christmas!

It was a LED disk built by a company for me to trial and give feedback. If I did more night fishing I would buy the lure lightning. Take some time and watch the videos on there site.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:11 AM »
The stated wave lengths are only an average.  The only advantage to having a 365 over a 395 is efficiency not necessarily effectiveness.
Cheese Head

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:52 AM »
Where did the strips come from? Is that a Radio Shack type product to get them in 12 volt?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:59 AM »
Where did the strips come from? Is that a Radio Shack type product to get them in 12 volt?

Ebay, I'm sure there are many other places.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:28 AM »
If I did more night fishing I would buy the lure lightning. Take some time and watch the videos on there site.

Looked at there website. Not impressed. i see no real advantage over using a lure lighning over a flashlight style charger. For $34 they should have came up with a much better design.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Has anyone used a motion detector for led lights before?

I'm thinking adding/installing a motion detector would be a nice touch.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 24, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Has anyone used a motion detector for led lights before?

I'm thinking adding/installing a motion detector would be a nice touch.

Yeah my buddy and I built one.  Pretty tricky with small jigs.  I suggest using a momentary switch you can activate with your foot.
Cheese Head

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:35 PM »
Looked at there website. Not impressed. i see no real advantage over using a lure lighning over a flashlight style charger. For $34 they should have came up with a much better design.
How so?
The lure lightning is foot activated and made with quality components and mounts directly to your flasher.
They have a specially designed bulb at the correct nanometer wavelength.
Pull up your jig tap the switch with your foot and back down the hole.
Or pull it up put the jig in your hand pull out and turn on the flashlight. Flip the jig over and coat all sides. put away flashlight then drop your jig back down.
Periodiacally you forget the flashlight or forget to change the batteries. Not a problem with the lure lightning.
I definetly see the advantage in using one. And no I don't own one or have any affiliation with them.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:58 PM »
How so?
The lure lightning is foot activated and made with quality components and mounts directly to your flasher.
They have a specially designed bulb at the correct nanometer wavelength.
Pull up your jig tap the switch with your foot and back down the hole.
Or pull it up put the jig in your hand pull out and turn on the flashlight. Flip the jig over and coat all sides. put away flashlight then drop your jig back down.
Periodiacally you forget the flashlight or forget to change the batteries. Not a problem with the lure lightning.
I definetly see the advantage in using one. And no I don't own one or have any affiliation with them.

Sorry all it is is a flashlight mounted to a sonar. and marked up a bunch.  One why do i want a "foot" activated switch when it would be farther away then my foot would reach in my shack. Or if i have it sitting above foot level. 2nd i would have to spin my lure to get both sides of it causing lure spin. I'd be farther ahead to reel up and hit both sides with a uv flashlight. Hence why I built a dip cup, to prevent lure spin & to get the entire jig at once. To me I see no advantage over a good UV flashlight. Up & down faster? How if you get both sides hit to glow your gonna have a spinning lure? I'd rather take the time and not have a spinning lure.

If I wanted something like the lure lighting I'd simply turn on my Northland UV glow buster and shoot it out the side of my vex.

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:59 PM »

I have seen this guy at many sports shows in the MN metro and it works really well. Like Idaho has been so kind as to tell us repeatedly in this thread, you will be hard pressed to find something that will charge blue and red jigs better. I do agree that they are overpriced and poorly designed though. I put my flasher on the far side of my hole making the foot switch impractical. That and I don't want to be kicking my flasher all day long with my big arse boots. I'll keep my flashlight.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:21 AM »
I have seen this guy at many sports shows in the MN metro and it works really well. Like Idaho has been so kind as to tell us repeatedly in this thread, you will be hard pressed to find something that will charge blue and red jigs better. I do agree that they are overpriced and poorly designed though. I put my flasher on the far side of my hole making the foot switch impractical. That and I don't want to be kicking my flasher all day long with my big arse boots. I'll keep my flashlight.

I wouldn't know what idaho post. I blocked him and couldn't be happier. I don't think I'm the only one or last to do that. I'm sure the flash light lure lightning designed works great to get a lure to glow like many other things do. To me it's a rushed impractical design with a lot of short comings.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:41 AM »
I wouldn't know what idaho post. I blocked him and couldn't be happier. I don't think I'm the only one or last to do that. I'm sure the flash light lure lightning designed works great to get a lure to glow like many other things do. To me it's a rushed impractical design with a lot of short comings.

I'm not telling you that your dip cup is bad but I would like to see you compare it to someone using a lure lightning as far as brightness and charging the different colors.
You say his American made aircraft grade aluminum unit Which you have never seen in person that has a specially made bulb of the correct nanometer wavelength and parts rated to -40* is impractical, rushed, and has shortcomings. Then make your own version out of a plastic McDonalds cup and some random LED's from an EBAY seller in china!
Not trying to start a pissing match here but do you see the irony in that?
KasilofChrisN

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:54 AM »
I'm not telling you that your dip cup is bad but I would like to see you compare it to someone using a lure lightning as far as brightness and charging the different colors.
You say his American made aircraft grade aluminum unit with a specially made bulb of the correct nanometer wavelength and parts rated to -40* is impractical, rushed, and has shortcomings. Then make your own version out of a plastic McDonalds cup and some random LED's from an EBAY seller in china
Not trying to start a pissing match here but do you see the irony in that?

I never said that mine was better or implied that it was. All I stated was that in my opinion the lure lightning is an impractical design with short comings. Which it is. It doesnt address the issues with having to flip/spin a lure to get both sides to glow, and has a foot switch which is useless in many different scenarios. You cant charge the lure from all sides at once. If I'm gonna pay $35 for a flashlight it better take care of the things I'm have troubles with. If you have a UV LED flashlight that does a good job charging the glow, then I don't see the benifit of the lure lightning. I only made a dip cup to cover a need which I couldn't find a product to deliver on. I don't claim it to be perfect and will prya change the design over time and tweek stuff.  There is no Irony in that, and I'm sure the lure lightning works fine. I just think that for the price charged and the issues it still leaves on the table for lighting a lure it leaves a lot to be desired. Agree or don't agree fine by me.

Offline mathews4ever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:54 AM »
Hey Agro, what did it cost you to build the whole thing? I am always a fan of building/modifying gear. I could see this being perfect tied into my shelter lights.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 25, 2014, 01:07 AM »
Hey Agro, what did it cost you to build the whole thing? I am always a fan of building/modifying gear. I could see this being perfect tied into my shelter lights.

It cost me like $6. ($12 for lights shipped but got 2 cups made out of it.)  Cup was one I had laying around. Had a cup holder on my vexilar already. Contacted vexilar to see if I could buy a plug.....they sent a few free of charge.  There is also an attachment to put alligator clips on the cup and run it off a 12volt battery. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 25, 2014, 04:08 AM »
I do own one.        ;)2

It's caveman easy and only a few dollars, very convenient, FULL results in two seconds AND prevents the uttering under one's breath, things like:       

"DAMNITALLTOHELLWHYDIDN'TIDOITTHEEASYWAYFIRST " or "MAYBEICANSELLALLTHISWO RTHLESSCRAPONCRAIG'SLISTORE-BAY" 

I defy any genius to design a better unit, one piece, water proof, weights 1 3/4 oz, 1 1/4" output exit through a clear lens, 1 1/2" OD, 2" long with mounting bolt opposite the output exit and is 1/4"x20 tpi, x 5/8", 18" hook-up wires with battery wye connection is 180* from push-to-contact switch.

A nice feature, often overlooked ~ it will mount on either side of a sonar, or a soft case, or a tackle box, a chair, a sled and with a small clip ~ a belt or cuff on a sleeve or jacket pocket.

Not that you would ever want to pick up 5 or more in one hand, but, it can be done, ha.

But, it is obvious, beings from a different Clan desire to reinvent the wheel and thus, will be forever sneezing in the dust of evolutionary progress.
 I may be wrong, but, information is valuable, regardless the source.

Thanks for the review. It is nice to hear from someone who has actually used the product.
Sounds like the lure lightning is my next lighting device when the ones I have now finally give up the ghost.
KasilofChrisN

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:47 AM »
I owned a lure lightning and did not like it at all.  I mounted it on the side of my lx-5, but activating the switch with a foot was not practical at all, so I ended up bending over all the time.  later I removed it and had it in a tray in my clam, plugged into a battery I kept under the seat.  Still found it cumbersome. 
Cheese Head

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2015, 04:06 PM »
I've been working on this idea for a year or so as well. These UV LEDs would last for weeks off of one of these 12v batteries. I am on my my fourth design right now. 3D printers are wonderful.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:40 PM »
very cool. how much does it cost to 3-d print.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:44 AM »
very cool. how much does it cost to 3-d print.

It probably costs less than a dollar or two. My cup is two parts. 3D printers are pretty slow though. It takes a couple hours to make one. I'm having it quoted for injection molding now.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2015, 11:22 PM »
Can ya send me one in blue? I like the look. seems prety durable.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:54 AM »
Can ya send me one in blue? I like the look. seems prety durable.

I can do white or black, but the white reflects a lot more light inside the cup. When I get the injection molding going I might be able to do overmolds with different colors.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 07, 2015, 12:20 AM »

Here is the measurement, i'd like to set it in the cup holder.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #59 on: Sep 04, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I can do white or black, but the white reflects a lot more light inside the cup. When I get the injection molding going I might be able to do overmolds with different colors.

So you have any new models?

was thinking you could just add a printed stem to the bottom of your cup design and it would slip right in the holder like the vex cup holder.

Be interesting to see if vexilar came out with one....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.