The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How long have you been ice fishing  (Read 2575 times)

Offline steel leader

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How long have you been ice fishing
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:20 PM »
I can remember laughing at my friends that went ice fishing telling them they were nuts! I finally went once and was hooked,That was 25 plus year's ago.

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:39 PM »
About 20 years... Started out at Hereford Manor Lake catching crappy with my Dad by lantern light... It was fun to see the old stumps once they drained the lake... I've been looking for a Crappy spot ever since...

Offline paulinpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:04 PM »
    Winter of 79, North Park, buddy had just bought a shovel auger and I was hooked!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:12 PM »
I've been ice fishing since January 1996 and am a total ice fishing addict.  I saw the movie Grumpy Old Men and thought it would be fun so I tried it with my friend Dave.  I never missed a year since and no matter of the time of year I'm thinking about it. 

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:47 PM »
30 plus years

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:50 PM »
 Chopped my first holes in the ice in 1970 when I was 10, with a hatchet. Been going strong ever since. 44 years
Jim K.

Offline mongo40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:57 PM »
around 30 years

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:00 PM »
I got my ice fishing bug, from my dad.  We had a big family, so many mouth's to feed.  I was around seven, when I went out yellow perch fishing with him.  Then, with his brother, my Uncle Puss.  My dad's, nickname, was Skinny.  My Grandfather, gave his boys, all nicknames, and they stuck, thru there years.  Local people who new the family, always, went by there nicknames.  We would go out to the local lake, all day, just to fish for perch, but if we caught a trout, well that was a bonus.  Its been, 45 years, since I got the bug, of ice fishing.  I have brought into the fold, my nieces and nephews, brothers and sister, to boot. ;D

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Went a time or two when I was young in the late 80 but really got into it in the early 2000s when I was at PSU.

Offline iwaschachi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:01 PM »
wow Im surprised theres so many seasoned vets with decades on the ice. My dad took me in my early teens, 26 now. Question for all the veterans- how do the waters you fish today compare to 10,20,30 years ago? anyone notice a downward trend in fish size/numbers? or maybe in increase in size/numbers?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:21 PM »
Well I'm guessing about 55 years. I was a young 7 year old kid that fished the bay(Erie) with my Dad and Uncle.We use some kind of homemade wooden rods with a hack saw blade  for the rod tip.I still have a couple of them.I remember catching huge jumbo perch in the 2 lb range and buckets of smelts

Offline Mnbound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:22 PM »
About 10 years.  Before tht I hunted during the winter months in Iowa.  I wish I had starred earlier.  It really is a great sport!

Offline THEREALREDDOG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:32 PM »
Just started this year have a lot of friends that ice fish but had a bad experience about 20yrs ago and swore i'd never go again. I'm glad I started going. Looking forward to going more :tipup:

Offline bullscrickbowfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:49 PM »
I like the name realreddog

Offline whoay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • giddy up
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:28 PM »
21yrs my favorite time of year

Offline upland hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:52 AM »
Just started last year. Bought a bunch more gear and hope to try a few places other than my backyard pond.  Yellow creek, cloe, and hemlock lake are the ones nearby id like to try.

Offline fishey56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Got hooked on it in 1973 catching big notherns at montour preserve.

Offline bsusko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:57 AM »
I started fishing in the Mid 90's with my brother.  We still continue to fish and since added his 2 twin boys to our group.  We have been doing a lot of fishing at Canoe Creek.  He lives in Huntingdon and I live in Johnstown.  This year we will have a sonar and a gas auger to our gear list.

Offline Wayne_DeWayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:45 PM »
12 years ago my friend asked me to go ice fishing, and to wear my hip boots (which I thought was an odd request). It was mid March and the ice near shore was getting soft. We loaded up on big gills. Been hooked ever since.
"Outdoor Life!!!"

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:58 PM »
I have only been ice fishing for about 7 years. Wish I would have started earlier, I'm hooked

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:01 PM »
since 1962
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:01 PM »
At least 50yrs that I can remember!!

Offline Friedline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Started at the age of 6 with my dad with a few tip-ups and homemade poles . Still using the same gear the only upgrades are a two man shelter and homemade auto hookseters. and I'm 31 now

Offline Piscator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:23 PM »
I have ice fished for 30 years. Best advice I can give is invest n good sprng bobbers.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:50 PM »
First time was pike and perch with Pizzahead at Glendale on the point between Wyrough and turtle cove.  It was January 1998...nostalgia ;D
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline snydje

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Started in 1977, 14 years old. I convinced my mother to drop me and a friend off at the lake. I am sure she thought we were crazy, but figured how much trouble can you get into on a frozen lake. Used a spud bar and some old tip ups. Sweat my scrawny butt off chopping holes, don't think we caught any fish, froze nearly to death and loved every minute of it. Worked all of the next summer to buy a "newfangled" Jiffy auger. Used it for 25 years before I replaced it. I still have, and occasionally use, some of the first tip ups I had, (and they were old when I got them!) I have been going ever since, (except for a couple of years while in the service.)   I try to always introduce some one new to the sport every year.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:21 PM »
7 or 8 years

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:27 PM »
This will be my 6th year. I Started out buying an auger and s bucket of gear off a guy on Craigslist. 6 years and probably several grand later I'm an addict. I love the hardwater!

Offline Spditzler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Since 1979, friend from fire dept was talking about ice fishing and I said I would not mine trying it.
So I gave it a try and was hooked on ice fishing since that day.

Offline perchmanbo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Hi guys, just joined, my 1st post on this board. Started in 1984, laid off during the winter, bored silly, took a ride up to Lake Wilhelm for something to do. Walked out on the ice, talked to a couple guys while they were pulling nice gills thru the ice. Got exited, went to Fergies Bait the same day, bought my license, 2 schooley rods and waxworms. Went back out, found some holes (no auger yet) and pulled 10 nice gills before I froze my butt off. Been addicted ever since. Presque Isle has been my favorite for the past 10yrs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.