Author Topic: ice fishing outfits  (Read 6655 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ice fishing outfits
« Reply #30 on: Nov 22, 2014, 03:18 PM »
It just occured to me, I haven't heard of something I might wear being referred to as an outfit since mom bought me school clothes
Omg lmao almost sprayed coffee
Lake affect is also another one

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Anybody still wearing their Refridgewear Suits besides Onebucketmike and I?

I'm sure mike's house is an ice fishing museum

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:46 PM »
I also have the Frabill Ice Suit.  Most of the time I just wear the bibs because wearing the parka with it is too damn warm! The parka is nice when heading out on a sled or wheeler as it offers extreme cold weather protection.  If I were to buy a new suit I'd give a long hard look at the Strikers.  Several of my friends have them and they appear seriously warm and highly protective.

Good luck-Mike

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:51 PM »
My recommendation is STRIKER !!  I also have the US Coast Guard model of the MUSTANG suit that they wear for Winter duty.  The Mustang is designed to prevent hypothermia for up to SEVEN HOURS in freezing water..... and you couldn't sink in this suit if you tried !!!  The downside??  It's too warm and too bulky for strenuous activity...... but, if you're going to sit on a bucket outside in freezing weather.....It's Perfect !!!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:06 PM »
I'm sure mike's house is an ice fishing museum

I'll say it before Whalerman gets on here.  He'll tell you my car is an ice fishing museum!!!   Hope to cya soon Keuka....

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2014, 05:12 AM »
i got Striker Ice Floating Predator  last year love it  i'mam short legs they are ajustable  . go red rockstore .com $189

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 23, 2014, 05:40 AM »
I have a  Stryker Hardwater suit and I love it . Very warm

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #37 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:08 AM »
It just occured to me, I haven't heard of something I might wear being referred to as an outfit since mom bought me school clothes

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! Have you ever hear a guy ask another guy, "How do you like my outfit?"

Not that there's nothing wrong with it...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Before you know it there will be fishermen walking a runway at ice expos with the newest, latest, and greatest in ice wear.  ;D

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Arctic Armour warm and floats still in great shape after 3 seasons.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #40 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:05 PM »

Like Bart and prchslyr, I have Artic Armor, it been 4 years now, it's still warm and have not experienced any malfunctions. I recommend them, I'm even buying my girlfriend a AA suit. :thumbsup:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #41 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Jimo If you search through the Dressing for Ice Fishing community there are numerous threads discussing the different ice suits/outfits. I'm also am a Arctic Armor owner bought the suit at Fish307 in Lake George,NY. back in 2008 . Like most everything in life this suits has pros-cons. The fabric does not wick moisture/breathe well so moisture will build up inside which can leave you damp and chilled. The bibs also have internal leg gaiters which make putting them on while wearing boots impossible.(my opinion) Also the leg zippers only open to the knee. If you can go somewhere and try on different brands of suits I highly recommend you do so ,be sure to ask if you can mix-match sizes. ( In case you need a large size bib and medium jacket for example)
Recently I attended an event where I got to see 4 different brands of suits. If buying a suit today would give a serious look at the Striker Ice line of suits.
Steve

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Going into my tenth season with my Field N Stream..... Warm and comfortable  :tipup: ;D :tipup:
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline Carp Commander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Have had a frabill ice suit since they first came out and I have no need for a shanty.  I am a walking shanty in that thing.  The crouch did rip out and had to be resewn.  I think it was more me being to fat than a factory flaw.

Offline jonny boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:39 PM »
devo,  My son & i still use our refrigiwear suits. My son graduated in 1987 from high school and mom and i told him to buy good quality things. Well 25 years latter he still loves & wears the suit.Quality dos'nt cost it pays.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:56 PM »
I bought the black Cahart bibs on sale (about a hundred dollars), and a monster of a warmly insulated black coat  XXXL for my skinny to medium frame.  Its somewhat bulky but very wind proof and large enough to wear another light coat or vest with wool sweater or two. Price on the coat at the thrift store, new with tags, $3.

I know why women love to shop.
Thread killer

Offline svitreum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Pennsylvania boy living in Wisconsin
« Reply #46 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:27 PM »
On my 6th year in an arctic armor floating suit and the bibs now leak through terribly. When they were new I could kneel on sloppy, wet ice and stay dry. Now I get wet right away. Looking for some bibs that will stay water-proof even when machine washed. The suit is warm, though not like when brand new and I had to replace one leg zipper in the bibs a few years ago. I see there are some Gore Tex suits that are as much as $1,500 and wondered if they are really any more durable. I paid about $450 for the arctic armor.
GO STEELERS!!!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:33 PM »
After a few years gore text even leaks. I have tons of clothes with goretex. Great stuff, but doesn't keep you dry forever. Especially wears out in the knees

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:23 AM »
Bought a Striker Ice Climate suit on cyber Monday, dam is it ever warm, and well designed. Looking forward to the winter now, my neighbour has one and I tried it before I bought, he swears by it. I used to wear my Military gortex but the Striker suit has the ability to float if I happen to go through.
Tim

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:37 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mens-guide-gear-ice-parka?a=750470

I bought my Son the above jacket & bibs from the Sportsmansguide a few years ago.  It's a LOT less money but he really likes them and they've held up well.  No, I don't work for them, but if you're looking for a decent suit at a great price this is tough to beat. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:49 PM »
3 years with arctic armour floating suit, no complaints yet, still warm and dry. Never tested floating ability. ;D
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:56 PM »

I bought my Son the above jacket & bibs from the Sportsmansguide a few years ago.  It's a LOT less money but he really likes them and they've held up well.  No, I don't work for them, but if you're looking for a decent suit at a great price this is tough to beat. 

It seems to be comparable to the Anorakk suit. But if you don't need bibs, well, you did good.    ;)2

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-apparel/suits/expedition-anorakk-ice-fishing-suit.html

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:26 PM »

I'm sure its warm and held up well , but safety was and is main concern, if it don't float I wont even consider it!!  Most guys will spend 200-500 on a flasher, same on a shanty, but skimp where it matters the most, if your at the bottom of the lake, it means nothing.  First IMO should be the suit(floater of any brand) then flasher, then shanty!!  Just my thoughts

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:44 AM »
5th season with my arctic armor float suit and not a single problem with it.  bought it at chapmans on black lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.