Author Topic: Blackstrap 2014-2015  (Read 42038 times)

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
Re: Blackstrap 2014-2015
« Reply #120 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:18 AM »
I wouldn't be bringing my truck anywhere near that ice for at least another week of colder weather. It looks like he went through at the rocky point on the north end. No fish is worth me sinking a vehicle, and maybe a person. Use your heads folks...it's on your shoulders for more than a parking place for  your ears!!!

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #121 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:23 AM »
me and my buddy went to north end saturday and planned on walking out but there was an open strech of water all along the shoreline of the dam/rocks so we had issues trying to get on, so we went over to the north launch there and checked there and the ice was solid, so we drove the truck on very slowly and cautiously as i was the first vehicle on the ice in that area. A tonn of other trucks ended up coming on later and seemed way less concerned than i was as they were going a lot faster.  where we ended up fishing had 16 inches of good ice. Also i've never seen blackstrap water so clear. We were in 20 feet of water and could see EVERYTHING. got skunked though. did not see a single fish - had 1 on a tip-up but lost it before getting it to the hole.

"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

gman51

« Reply #122 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:49 AM »
lol that totally makes no sense doorman. let me see if i understand. you tried to walk on but had issues with no ice  seen open water but then decided to drive on. ??? ??? ??? ??? its no wonder people are going through . following leads like that.  ::)

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Thinking of heading out today, going to take a rod out of the boat and maybe do some casting off shore.  lmao !!!   Wont bother for a while yet. I like seeing the fish on the bottom of the lake on the camera, not in person.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #124 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:31 PM »
lol that totally makes no sense doorman. let me see if i understand. you tried to walk on but had issues with no ice  seen open water but then decided to drive on. ??? ??? ??? ??? its no wonder people are going through . following leads like that.  ::)

Yes exactly, the very north shore along the rocks had a ridge of open water, but off the boat launch we walked on first and drilled holes to measure ice and it was solid and thick, so we drove on, by the time we left there was about 20 other 1/2 tonnes on the ice, one little area i saw looked to have a group of 3-4 trucks all right next to each other.
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Walked on the north end saturday, along the east shore. Fishing in all depths, two pike in about 4 hours of fishing. 1 on the rod and 1 on the tip up. Had two fellas come cruising all the way across the lake to see how i was doing. Couldnt believe how fast guys were driving on the lake, 8-12" everywhere i drilled but the shorelines were soft, was not sold on driving anywhere yet. guys i talked to said there more than enough ice, lol. I did also notice the water is quite clear, hopefully it stays that way later in the winter this year.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:59 PM »
So last week there was 16-17" on thursday solid ice measusered with a tape measure. This was the warm day. I drove to the center of the lake in the north end real slow and drilled through a big drift and ice was 12-13" black ice. This was the thinnest I could find that day. I understand thinning at shore and in the shallows and have heard some slushy ice. But where did you find 8"??

Offline uglystikr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I was out at evans road on saturday about 40-50 ft from shore and it was about 11“ but crystal clear water! After seeing that i didnt believe anywhere was 16“ yet
Hard Water
Hard Liquor
Hard Core
If you can't get it hard,
Leave it alone!

gman51

« Reply #128 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:15 AM »
went for a late afternoon,evening fish yesterday checking out a new area. bit of a walk to get there but the weather was great. anyway drilled some holes different depths set the flip up in 22' fow sat in there for awhile 2 walleyes came in caught 1 missed the other one on the rattling flyer. 1 pike 4lb caught in the shelter never got my spoon this time  ha,ha. waters clear could see the walleyes in 22'. had a flag set in 14' just before the brake nothing on that. hole hopped the rest of the time. caught 1 more 2 lb walleye around dark using my Lindy frosty spoon glow. worth going back there today.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Nice job ripnflutter!!. So we lost almost 40% of our ice from Thursday night till it froze again . Crazy. I won't be driving on then for a while.

gman51

« Reply #130 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:41 AM »
yeah, the ice was 10"- 13" where i was. good ice in most places but white or cloudy with air pockets in other places. but not driveable for me anyway. like i said in an earlier post I'm  still walking on and catching fish. ;)

Offline fishn4evr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I catch what you wish you caught
« Reply #131 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:00 AM »
was out on the south end of strap on sunday, caught 9 perch ( 5 nice keepers) 2 small walleye and 2 pike. it was slow and cold.
"you cant catch if your lines not in the water"

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:37 AM »
was out on the south end of strap on sunday, caught 9 perch ( 5 nice keepers) 2 small walleye and 2 pike. it was slow and cold.

you should have stayed a little longer right after you left we caught 4 good eating size walleye.

gman51

« Reply #133 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:32 AM »
it was a slow afternoon/evening yesterday. set up again in 22' punched some shallower holes nothing going on walking holes from around 2pm til 4pm sat in the flip from 4 til 6 had one walleye do a fly by. decent size as i looked down the hole after marking him on the lx7 again pretty clear water to see 22'. had a couple 2 lb adolesent pike come in. got the chance to pull away from them.that don't happen to often. save on some hardware.lol. and another which  I'm sure was a walleye at around 5pm as quick as i seen the red blow up on the screen it hit. thought i had a good set but 2 seconds later  >:(. allways nice to be out. was using the rattling flyer again (glow red) tipped with a minnow head. heading out again Thursday area unknown.

gman51

« Reply #134 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:18 AM »
got out a little late last night, set up around 3:45 in holes 10- 15 fow. had one come in at 4pm and bit nice 2 lb walleye. on the Lindy frostie perch glitter.1/4 oz ( glow).( kept for supper) and a couple more marks after 5pm but nothing committing. wrapped up at 6pm. lots of little perch around 4''-5'' good to see, walleyes shouldn't be to far from them. no pike tonight....... 

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Piles were biting around noon today at Evans road. The biggest is 32" on a Swedish pimple. My 5# line was up to the long fight.

Offline DarcyJL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Hey guys, just wanted to throw this out their but I'm new to ice fishing and I am looking for a mentor of sorts, don't laugh I'm serious. I have a decent shack made from a camper that I intend on dragging to Evans road today now that I have an idea of where it is. I've fished for probably 25+ hrs this year on Zelma and caught 1 fish. Been on the strap for a couple days now and didn't see one fish so I'm starting to think I need some instructions on how to fish in the winter. I'm a guy who likes eating so I'm looking to take home a couple nice jack a day or walleye. I don't want to have to fry a half dozen perch for a snack but I'll fish and release them all day if there biting. Anyways this is an open invitation to stop in, I was sort of a regular in the Zelma fishing community so I hope to meet some people at blackstrap. And if you want to exchange some trade secrets I'll try to keep some cold drinks in my nice warm shack to repay you. Stop by if you see my shack it's the only one with a doghouse on the front. And I drive a dark red 2011 Longhorn 2500.

I'll be out today and the next few days this following week. I hope to catch some fish and meet some regulars.

Thanks a lot.

gman51

« Reply #137 on: Dec 20, 2014, 09:33 AM »
welcome to blackstrap. alot of people fish Evans road  once you can drive on the ice.I'm sure you will run in to someone with  some experience with ice fishing blackstrap that will give you a few pointers. evans road probably a good place to start. I'm usually out there on weekdays Mon, Tues, Thurs, if I'm in the area ill stop by and see how your making out. good luck

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Soon as I can get my shack out, blue and square, just pop in if I'm around. I'm good to visit as I wont drink all your refreshments..lol.
 I'm going to be just out from the first boat launch a bit, maybe 150-200 yards

Offline DarcyJL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Well I'm out overtop of Evans road in 20?? Ft of water. Been fishing for at least 1.5hrs and I have one jack cleaned and hoping to pick up another one. He got snagged on a jewel eyes spoon with a smelt and now  fishing with that setup and a small silver spoon with his eyeballs on it so I'll keep you updated to whether or not I get anymore. Ps I'm pretty sure I was down by you this morning or at least my shack was by a blue Pop up. I dragged it right past you. How's fishing on your end?

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Hey Darcy jl. I have fished strap for three four yeArs and am not a pro but always manage enough. I find even road or anywhere around the boat launches in 20 ish feet works good. I always find 8 till noon and 4 till 6 they bite and in mid aft nothing really to interested. Hope that helps. As for myself I hirt my back last week and won't be out there in my Pop up till x mas eve if I'm lucky.

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:25 PM »
I have most my luck with jig heads at the strap.  I also use to live in Watrous about 5 years ago and had tons of luck in Zelma in summer for nice walleyed and jack. But have never ice fished there. My best friend caught a 52" jack which weighed 30 lbs on a pickrell rig on the west edge of Zelma where the road runs along the lake.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:34 PM »
A few bites and none iced today.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Well I'm out overtop of Evans road in 20?? Ft of water. Been fishing for at least 1.5hrs and I have one jack cleaned and hoping to pick up another one. He got snagged on a jewel eyes spoon with a smelt and now  fishing with that setup and a small silver spoon with his eyeballs on it so I'll keep you updated to whether or not I get anymore. Ps I'm pretty sure I was down by you this morning or at least my shack was by a blue Pop up. I dragged it right past you. How's fishing on your end?
Wasn't me. Mine will be a blue hard side

Offline DarcyJL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Got one more jack by 4 and could of had another but didn't bite hard enough on my hook I guess. Seen close to 10 fish so not to bad for double my years catch in a few hours. Seem to like my jewel eyed spoon. I'll have to pick up some walleye lures if I can figure out what they like. Filled my stomach at least. I didn't see anyone near me catch anything so I would say I'm learning.  Man does that Evans road get packed though. Wow there was people all across the lake. How would I go about targeting burbot? I'm hoping to put some of them in the pan this winter as well.

Offline coltcurtis

• IceShanty Rookie
  • pike hunter
« Reply #145 on: Dec 21, 2014, 03:20 PM »
was out from 8 till 1130 am near evens road...was first one out.found my area i wanted and set up pop up...ice was only about a foot but the water was super clear for my camera...2 jack day...saw a real big boy (8 lb ? maybe) cruise by below  but he wasnt interested at all..lots of people were out around 11am...nice day out....came home for football

Offline Big Zekey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Me and my buddy iced 3 pike around 4:30 on evans road. It was a nice day to be out.

gman51

« Reply #147 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:34 AM »
tried out in front of thode yesterday. set up shelter in 23 fow nice drop off into the basin with a flat just 10 yds away that was 14' at the edge. drilled some holes up there in the shallows.looked to be a nice cruising area. caught some nice perch midday and 2 walleye. from 4 til 6 there was lots of marks coming through. some big some small some bit some didn't. at the end of the day caught 5 perch, 6 walleyes, no pike which really don't hurt my feelings. didn't really try the shallows in the evening to much action in the shelter to leave..... gotta hate that. ;D lol. caught everything on the Lindy rattle flyer yellow/ green glow pattern.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Nice!!

Offline Yaholnitsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Near north end of the lake yesterday, out from Shields . In 22 feet of water approx. on a shelf I think as I set up tip ups at 15 meter intervals from the shack and first one was 17 ft depth and second 12 feet. Caught 2 smaller pike 3 lbs and 1.5 lbs from in the shack. Saw one pickeral and a few more pike. What depth have people been landing most of their fish in ? Not new to Blackstrap just new to hardwater fishing on the strap, thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.