The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New strikemaster electric lithium lazer auger  (Read 10979 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: New strikemaster electric lithium lazer auger
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Does that blue auger have curved blades?   is that a mora too?

I have tried the Fin Bore with the curved blades and a Mora with the flat blades. The Mora did a better job.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Try them both out. I have found that the curved blades tend to catch a little when punching thru

I don't see the point in debating this hole size, just like the line debate. Some prefer small holes using tiny bait. Others prefer bigger holes using monster bait. Same thing with the line, some prefer 10 lb line others prefer 30+ lb. Line. Its all about how you will feel if and when your fish either snaps the line or won't fit through a smaller hole. Not everyone is gonna catch something too big for a 6" hole . Others like myself have and will catch another bass that WILL NOT fit through a 6" hole. I don't think charts based on length, weight, & girth can describe all fish. My 9.1 bass fit through a 9" and most likely an 8", however it was snug! Fishing is all about choices, failed techniques, new techniques, pointers from others, etc. It all boils down to your preference and that's about it. Adjust your methods as YOU see fit. Change what doesn't work and keep what does work. If you lose a monster because of a small hole or light line, lesson learned. Adjust your methods :-) I hope to see y'all really soon. Take care folks 👍

Indeed Keith. Its all about personal pref.  I landed plenty fo 5-6+lb bass last season all thru a 6in hole without issue, as did Allan. Hell even the 5lb fish Eds daughter caught and won the tourney was thru a 6in hole.

Just erks me when people say "NO WAY NO HOW IT WOULD FIT EVER". When its quite the opposite.

Offline trout stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2014, 10:46 AM »
im so excited to ice fish id fish through a 2 inch hole right about now lol
No day too cold!!!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2014, 04:22 PM »
I would say most bass will fit through 6", there are a few roaming that push the limit and even less roaming that I would say "no way"  I would say that the argument should be that larger holes make it easier for bulky fish, especially on super cold days. I've caught a couple big bass in my time  ;) I would say only 1 would not fit a 6" hole. All the rest probably would, however not as easily.

Offline Ice max

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2014, 05:51 PM »
That's one nice bass pulling that up threw a hole must have been a rush

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2014, 10:48 AM »
One argument for whole size is the amount of sunlight you are letting through snow covered ice. I feel like a 10" hole (my jiffy) would flood a lot more light into the water especially in the shallows than my 6" mora hand auger would.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Then theres the debate that the light acts like a spot light on your bait and attracts fish. And the other is that that spotlight scares them off lol

Offline trout stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:49 AM »
buckets right hahaha there is so many arguments to everything really lol im actually gonna invest in hole covers this year for many reasons any suggestions bb?????
No day too cold!!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Nov 14, 2014, 12:12 PM »
I made my own out of that foam exercise mat u get at wal mart. I think it cost 5$ for 3 squares. U can get 4 covers out of one square. I like black because it absorbs the sunlight.

I also have another set i use for over night trips that I lined with reflectex on the bottom. Both work great.
I will say I had great success using hole covers last season.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #39 on: Nov 14, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Then theres the debate that the light acts like a spot light on your bait and attracts fish. And the other is that that spotlight scares them off lol

Oh ya.  It depends on the "mood" of the fish - I've seen a truck go by within 10 ft. one day and my finder go blank for 20 minutes and the next day the fish don't even move.  I suppose it's the same for light.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #40 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:08 AM »
I would think if fish bite better with hole covers blocking the light, they would bite better at night. I've tried night fishing, big fail! I'm a fan of a nice huge pond shiner getting blasted with light. Works great for me 👍

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I would think if fish bite better with hole covers blocking the light, they would bite better at night. I've tried night fishing, big fail! I'm a fan of a nice huge pond shiner getting blasted with light. Works great for me 👍

I figured if they survive on ice and snow covered ponds/lakes in the pitch black they gotta be used to it.

Alan and I tested this last season one Walleye outing. I was consistently getting eyes in this one area using covers. We drilled a hole right next to  mine and dropped Alans tilt in. I continued to get fish and his didnt. So we pulled his and put another one of mine in the hole with a cover, had a fish on in less than 5 mins. I dont leave home without them.

The way i see it is, just not having to pull your tilts to clean your holes as often is going to net you more fish.

Offline trout stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:57 AM »
I figured if they survive on ice and snow covered ponds/lakes in the pitch black they gotta be used to it.

Alan and I tested this last season one Walleye outing. I was consistently getting eyes in this one area using covers. We drilled a hole right next to  mine and dropped Alans tilt in. I continued to get fish and his didnt. So we pulled his and put another one of mine in the hole with a cover, had a fish on in less than 5 mins. I dont leave home without them.

The way i see it is, just not having to pull your tilts to clean your holes as often is going to net you more fish.

with walley I would definitely say its a must being that they are mostly nocturnal anyways other day time species id say its 50/50 to wather theres a light in the hole or not I know on squantz pond in ct everyone uses the covers targeting the eyes very light sensitive
No day too cold!!!!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:24 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more bait. I started using them because I was dead sticking and didn't want the holes to freeze up however the rods were getting more hits with the exadt same leaders that the tip ups had. I was fishing in 5' of water so I got some more for the tip ups and noticed a big increase in hits.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Nov 16, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more bait. I started using them because I was dead sticking and didn't want the holes to freeze up however the rods were getting more hits with the exadt same leaders that the tip ups had. I was fishing in 5' of water so I got some more for the tip ups and noticed a big increase in hits.

One of the many perks of being willing to learn and try new techniques and methods. You have ammunition for what ever situation the fish throw at you. Some guys are content drilling 5 holes, setting their tilts, and taking a nap. If they catch no fish "they must not have been biting oday". I personally cant count the number of times the area I initially setup didnt produce. But thru constant jigging and moving you find the fish and move your tilts. Turning a skunk for some into one of your best outings for those willing to work for it.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2014, 10:44 PM »
So right bait bucket. Sometimes you don't even have to move. I may change from a hook to a small pan fish jig with a small shiner on a tip up if the bass aren't hitting. I've jigged bass on pan fish rigs, perch on bass rigs, and trout on almost anything.If big isn't working small may work in the same jig or tip up holes. I just retired in October so if anyone is looking for company during the week let me know, I live in Ct. now but fish in Ma. more than CT. I live on Crystal lake in Ellington Ct. and it is a trophy trout lake as well as a stocked salmon lake. It also has nice small mouth , large mouth, perch, and pan fish. I am always looking for some company here especially during the week.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline bigbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Should prolly check your forums. This is the MA forums, and we dont have any fish that big.

Hey stranger things can happen.  A guy i know pulled a 32" striper out of a pond in MA.  i would post a pic as proof if i knew how.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #47 on: Nov 17, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Will is spot on, you must try new things or you will never know if what your doing can be improved on. I know guys that cut 5 holes and nap lol. I myself start with 10 and have cut up to 20 in a day fishing from one shore to another.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:26 PM »
THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT THE STRIKEMASTER LITHIUM LAZER, not everyone's "Look @ Me stuff".
Leave Some For Seed

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #49 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:14 PM »
PETE!!!!!!    Here is your first chance..  😀😀
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:22 PM »
A chisel will make any hole size you want.  I don't take out the auger till the ice is over 12" 

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:16 PM »
A chisel will make any hole size you want.  I don't take out the auger till the ice is over 12"
I give it 6" or more, 12" is a bit much to chop, if you just bought a new auger  :-)

Offline trout stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:56 AM »
hey mill man im looking into a propane auger only thing I saw in reviews is that in extreme cold the tanks can freeze up or at least something does that has to do with the gas from what ive read this happen to you yet?
No day too cold!!!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #53 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Anything that turns and cuts a hole is always better than chopping  ;D Size your hole ,to your target species  ;D My species is " BooYah"  :flex: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :icefish: Can't wait to hit the hard water!
                   That's for sure, used to listen to my dad tell when they cut holes with a axe, start 2' wide at top, have a 6" hole at bottom, and your soaked!  No wonder they fished in the same hole all day!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:51 AM »

I recall reading an article (ill see if i can find it) comparing the noise levels under water from a chisel, gas, and hand auger. This was in regards to scaring and disturbing the fish.

In the article chisels were the loudest (under water) as the thudding/vibrations traveled a long distance scaring fish in a large area around the hole. Its not saying the never come back, but the initial spook may keep a few away.

Gas augers were second and hand augers were obviously the least noisy.

Another reason I love my drill setup, gives me the stealth of a hand auger, the weight of a chisel, and the power/speed of a gas auger.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #55 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:56 AM »
hey mill man im looking into a propane auger only thing I saw in reviews is that in extreme cold the tanks can freeze up or at least something does that has to do with the gas from what ive read this happen to you yet?
I've used mine in temps as low as about 10 degrees without any issues. I got it late in the season (no ridiculous cold temps after I purchased it).  Fires up the same in cold as it does in warm weather. I know guys that fished lake Champlain in ridiculous cold and didn't have any issues either. I can tell you for a fact that my jiffy gas and others I've seen with gas having one hell of a time starting them in the extreme cold. The best thing about the propane, if you found that it starts a little tough in ridiculous cold temps, you can warm the propane bottle much easier than the entire head of a gas motor. I have not spoken to a single person that regretted buying the propane jiffy. Its a beast and noticeably quieter that the gas augers. I hope that helps!👍

Offline trout stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:15 PM »
--- Quote from: Iceshanty on Sep 15, 2004, 08:38 AM ---Chippers, gas augers, and  hand augers all make noise that fish in the area can hear. I have seen both happen while watching fish when a commotion starts up on the ice ie* someone drilling or driving up. Sometimes they are jumpy and scatter at the slightlest sound. Couple years ago we had some clear ice for about a week or so, I ran around the shallows looking for fish. Schools of bluegills would just sit perfectly still impervious to what we did on the ice above them, This was early ice and the fish shouldn't have been accustomed to any activity. I saw a nice walleye sitting there in 3 foot of water, decided I am going to try chipping a hole exactly above it, about 6" of ice, I was thru and the walleye had not even flinched  :o Of course it wouldn't acknowledge any bait/lure that I put down there either.

What I like to do... don't matter if I am chipping or drilling, I'll go 3 hours or more ahead of time and drill out an area that I plan to fish, I do this mainly for fishing walleye shallow at night. I just go out on the lake drill my holes in the afternoon and come back later in the evening to fish, plop the tip-ups in quickly and wait for the action to start.  Years ago I would get mad if someone would come out later and drill around me, but I have seen what they do is get fish moving and many times will have all heck break loose during their drilling.

I used to really be a fanatic about this but now I really don't pay much attention to it, I have had enough fish take bait right out of my hands immediately after chipping a hole to know that it don't matter a whole lot, but I know one thing, is that it doesn't hurt at all to be a stealthy ice fishermen either.

-Scott

just some ones personal experience on noise factor and the fish, I personally have witnessed this myself...........im sure opinions will vary widely but observations can be facts
No day too cold!!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:34 PM »
It sounds like it didnt seem to make any difference to this guy. I guess where you fish and how much pressure it gets would play a significant role as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.