Author Topic: Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod  (Read 31036 times)

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod
« Reply #120 on: Oct 11, 2015, 09:16 PM »
I have both but I prefer the Tickle Stick.  It just feels better in my hand.  I've been in contact with Matt from 13 Fishing and he told me that they are redesigning the Tickle Stick for 2015.  Bigger guides and fewer of them to save on weight (not that I thought they were heavy to start with.)  Top it off with a Black Betty and you've got yourself one heck of a combo!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:17 AM »
perch_stalker - Yes, that is last years model. Sorry for the confusion on talking about the 'plastic' case - but that is the one that hung. When I picked up the new one from Cabela's last week, it is in a full plastic case (no part of the rod is exposed). Still a good rod, and what I used last year, but I wouldn't pay full price for that one and try to find the new model. As flatironfisherman said, it definitely has bigger guides that should work better. I'm surprised the retailer isn't selling last years at a bit of a discounted price? 

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Oct 12, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Ok, so the rod I bought has the guides that aren't right on the blank, they have the wire between the guides and the blank, but it is packaged in the new plastic package. So...is this a 2014 model that just got packaged like that, or is this a 2015 model? I haven't opened it yet thankfully, so if this is the older style rod, I will be returning it for the 2015 model with the bigger guides. Here are some pictures...

I picked up another L action today for spoon fishing, so I was able to get a picture of the new one in the package. I just can't figure out how to attach an image for the life of me... I'd be happy to, if someone can fill me in lol.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Oct 12, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I picked up another L action today for spoon fishing, so I was able to get a picture of the new one in the package. I just can't figure out how to attach an image for the life of me... I'd be happy to, if someone can fill me in lol.

Found the instructions on the main forum. I think (hope) this will work:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Oct 12, 2015, 08:47 PM »
The new Tickle Sticks come out at the end of the month!!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Oct 12, 2015, 08:50 PM »
The new Tickle Sticks come out at the end of the month!!

I ordered mine at Cabela's and they shipped it to the store for me free... It was there for pick-up today (hence the picture). I never ran back by the ice fishing stuff, but I'm surprised they wouldn't have them out in the store? Or are they trying to sell the old ones first?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Oct 12, 2015, 08:55 PM »
I ordered mine at Cabela's and they shipped it to the store for me free... It was there for pick-up today (hence the picture). I never ran back by the ice fishing stuff, but I'm surprised they wouldn't have them out in the store? Or are they trying to sell the old ones first?
I would imagine they'll get rid of the '15's first.  The '16's are supposed to have less and larger guides.  The thing I love about the TS the most is the reel seat.  13 did a fantastic job on it!

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:01 PM »
I would imagine they'll get rid of the '15's first.  The '16's are supposed to have less and larger guides.  The thing I love about the TS the most is the reel seat.  13 did a fantastic job on it!

Looks like you can order the Tickle Stick on Cabelas and ship to store that way too for free (I'd probably mess this up so I just went to the store), same with the new Widow Maker (I ordered these in store as well) and they are to your local store very quickly. 13 fishing is also showing them in stock on their website now.

The guides on the new ones are definitely bigger and match the ones they used on the Widow Maker, at least it looks like to my eyes. This is a big improvement IMO over last year, even though I really liked those rods. I'm with you on the reel seats on the 13 fishing rods too. I've never been a fan of non-real seat ice reels, but this is just a personal opinion and I know a lot of guys like the old school tennessee handles. I like the simplicity of a real seat, and never have to worry about the reel being lined up on the rod.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Oct 18, 2015, 03:02 PM »
Was at our local Cabelas and they had the last two 23" '15 ticklesticks on clearance for $36cdn. Considering this years model is $69.99 up here and last years regular price was $59, i was more than happy to pick up at this price. Smaller guides won't be a problem for me as i am always in the shelter unless it is really warm out.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Oct 18, 2015, 03:31 PM »
Was at our local Cabelas and they had the last two 23" '15 ticklesticks on clearance for $36cdn. Considering this years model is $69.99 up here and last years regular price was $59, i was more than happy to pick up at this price. Smaller guides won't be a problem for me as i am always in the shelter unless it is really warm out.

Maybe you're mistaking the Tickle Stick for the Widow Maker rod, but the Tickle Sticks retail for $49.99 If you're paying more than that, you're getting screwed!
But $36 for last years model is still a good price!

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Oct 18, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Maybe you're mistaking the Tickle Stick for the Widow Maker rod, but the Tickle Sticks retail for $49.99 If you're paying more than that, you're getting screwed!
But $36 for last years model is still a good price!

Welcome to Canada, where we get routinely screwed on pricing for 95% of the products. We just get to stick our tongues out at you at how easily and cheaply we can get fin bore augers.  considering our dollar is trading at just over 75 cents US, my $36 ticklestick would be like you finding it for $27.

I'm sure if i see a widow maker here it will be around $100.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #131 on: Oct 18, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Hurts even worse to know it's just more China made junk.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Oct 18, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Meh, one of the advantages of being Canadian is i am not obsessed with the made in usa mantra. Mass produced is mass produced. Lots of quality products come out of china. Lots of crap products come out of the states. More a case of how much a company is willing to compromise on their quality for sake of cheapness and how tightly they monitor the production than where it is actually made.

Now if you want to talk the difference between mass produced and craft produced, yeah there can be a huge difference. But i'm never going to find a craft produced rod for $27, and i am not about to pay $100 for an ice rod, so I'm happy with my purchase.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #133 on: Oct 18, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Guess I'll make my own USA produced, China component rods. How do you tell the difference between "quality" made in China and junk?

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Oct 18, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Same way you tell the difference between "quality" made in USA and junk.
Well, thats not entirely true. I don't know if they have a 5 day work week or not, so you may not have to worry as much about items made on Mondays and Fridays  ;)

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Oct 19, 2015, 07:23 AM »
Meh, one of the advantages of being Canadian is i am not obsessed with the made in usa mantra. Mass produced is mass produced. Lots of quality products come out of china. Lots of crap products come out of the states. More a case of how much a company is willing to compromise on their quality for sake of cheapness and how tightly they monitor the production than where it is actually made.

Now if you want to talk the difference between mass produced and craft produced, yeah there can be a huge difference. But i'm never going to find a craft produced rod for $27, and i am not about to pay $100 for an ice rod, so I'm happy with my purchase.

Yes, that is a great price on last years model. I sure wish my local Cabela's would have had some left over and sold them for that...

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Oct 19, 2015, 10:03 AM »
i got the 24" flat line rod. Is supposed to be light action but feels more like  feels like a med action with spring bobber.  is there any way to make this more of a light action rod?

Offline 2holes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Oct 23, 2015, 03:23 AM »
I agree it looks like last year's rod. I bought a 27 ultralight last year and loved it just looked at this year's rod but it doesn't seem as sensitive as the old rod does anyone have any input on this

Offline MJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:31 PM »
I got the snitch last year and absolutely love it... Way more than the 2 tickle sticks i've broke..
**HARD WATER MAFIA**

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.