Author Topic: Whatcha using for a shanty??  (Read 8039 times)

Offline Mnmike65

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Whatcha using for a shanty??
« Reply #60 on: Nov 16, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I am also looking at the frabill thermal guardian sidestep.i must have looked at it at cabelas about a dozen times.the length and width are ok but I am worried that it won't fit under my chevy colorado with a tonneau cover.i measured it from the floor to the top of the pole bracket and got 19 5/8 inches but the specs say pack height is 21 inches.is it just the fabric? Can it be pushed down?i was thinking of going to cabelas and asking if I could test fit it.i like the frabill because my wife smokes and we need the removable windows.i am 6 feet 2 and she is 5 feet 2.the trekker looks too small for us.

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Yes, the pack height that they give you is to compensate for the fabric.  You could try to pack it down further, but it's doubtfull and you'll just put stress on your tonneau when the fabric on the shanty pops back up.  I did end up getting the Trekker Thermal DLX and I gotta say this thing is a sweet shanty!  It might be a little tight with 2 people especially if you're my size (6'5" 300 lbs.)  I don't plan on having many people sit in the seat next to me, so the size wasn't an issue.  As for the removable windows, all Frabills have them.  Just tell your wife to kick that nasty habit!   ;D

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:20 AM »
As I have gotten older,  Myself no shelter,  I had a two man I loved, Had some room in it, then it got to heavy for me, then I went to a  clam  one man fip, it drove me nuts, NO ROOM, I felt like I was in a bag, I really could not breath in it. and it had no room to fish and use my flasher, and if I lit my heater, Will anyways, That's just me guys. So when you see an older guy sitting in a clam cooler chair dressed to stay warm. And I have to say, the right clothes work. Never been cold,  I feel better sitting on the ice. That's just me.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Shappell Bay Runner....big snuff for 2, great for 1....mobile....nice shelf for the electronics, heater and holders....well built....

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Got the wide one at the end of last season. Put it together but didn't get an opportunity to use it. Seems to have a lot of room for a one person shanty. Seems a little light at 62 lbs. Hope it holds up in the wind without anchors. Looking forward to giving it a good workout.

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Got rid of my Clam Bigfoot and picked up a Frabill Trekker DLX for this season... no more bucket but (or zipper problems) for me!  Frabill seats are very nice - added mobility is a plus as well.

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Just got my bay runner, hopefully get it out this weekend

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:10 PM »
I recently got a deal on a brand new Eskimo Quickfish 3 for $102.99 on eBay and I couldn't be happier its very lightweight coming in at a whole whopping 34 lbs it comes in a convenient bookbag style bag for carrying and comes with 6 ice ancors and 4 buddy lines it also sets up in about a minute or less just a little tid bit
And so it begins........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.