New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bear Lake Ice Report  (Read 30347 times)

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
Re: Bear Lake Ice Report
« Reply #90 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:37 AM »
what is the hot bait so i know was there once 2 years ago did not even get a bite but than again ice at that time was over 3 feet thick so any spots better than others like i said a newby to bear lake so any info is always welcome. as for the get together can not make it gotta work  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
have ice will travel catch a big one

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Feb 23, 2006, 05:34 PM »
Hunters, was that you in the black shanty ?      Anyways we fished Bear until 6:30 we got 2 keepers and about 8 shorts. I planned on fishing until 10ish but the wife called me in with an emergency when I realized she just needed cigarettes i was some pissed. I headed out onto Cassadaga Lake spotty ice but found very cooperative fish there ended up with 10 keepers and many many shorts before running out of minnows around 9:30. I would have liked to keep fishing at Bear I was marking fish up and down the water column as well as getting hit at any depth we fished all the way in to 10 fow. Definately more active from 20-22 fow but my friends were convinced we should head into shallower water. I suggest staying in 18+ fow. Bob I put the stick in the water for you  and thanx for the bait

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #92 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:14 PM »
bob,

whats the ice like -- i am heading toward your area tomm. at 1:00

going try mission first, if thats bad, I am heading for the stick marcus left --lol

bringing more beer this time because bear usaully makes me mad after the first hour then its miller time

Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Last night there was over 8" of ice most of which looked like black ice shore is fine. Watch out near that stick though very unsafe ice around there ;)2 :whistle:    I wish you luck they were hitting last night waxies and minnows anywhere from 4-10' off the bottom very light hits needed the springbobber.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #94 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:47 PM »
I have a fish trap guide. There was a black hut to the left of me but he left before i did and i'm not sure when? I left at 9pm and i didnt even see him drive away.I am bringing my nephew there tomorrow hope to get them again ,just maybe some more keepers.( marcus if you wouldnt mind i would love to know where your fishing on cassadaga?)
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline FishnFiend

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just a Fiend for Fishn'
« Reply #95 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Bob,

Is access to the camp area (Marcus' "thin ice" stick) :o, off of Muskie Pt. Rd.? Is there ample parking there??
Thinking of heading out around supper time tomorrow.

Any info on access/parking a big help. Thanks, & hope to be there tomorrow.

The Fiend :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What Do You Mean, The ice Is Too Thin!!!!!!!!!!! !!
« Reply #96 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:24 PM »
Another day of heartache as attested by Polar, and Deerslayer. Fish didn't bite at all till well after 3:00PM. The fish suspended fro 3ft to 15ft off the bottom over 24ft.Then the wind became too much, then the snow started; soon a blizzard like mess out there.Never had to pull our sleighs back to the road,the wind did all the work. Nobody did good at all, some even none, lots of short fish as well. Live minnows again proved the best bait.

One icer took a Northern and I heard it was 25". Quite a few people out on the lake, on a day which started blue skies, and turned violent. I was glad we decided to leave at 5:30 PM before the major snow started!
Parking is in the DEC lot next to the restaurant on Bear Lake Road, or if full along the shoulders of the road, as long as you don't park in front of a fire company water dry well, or a residents driveway.
The restaurant has been open, and will be open Friday along with Saturday and Sunday. BYOB ( bait), none available anywhere around Bear Lake

Watch the shore ice, the first 2 ft off the shore, as it was weak and punky when we left. A freezing night will heal it up!

Everything we have talked about on this thread about the nite bite being best, is true, with a good starting time being 2:00 thru Nite fishing! Lots of the guys are talking about comming here to Bear Lake on Saturday! ;D

Bear_Lake_Bob :tipup:
OH !  OH NO!!!! Don't Put Me In That Hot Oil !

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:06 AM »
hunters drive up dale dr until the end of the first lake in the corner i fish roughly 50 yards off the road in 10-12 fow if you live in cassadaga shoot me a pm and we can meet up I will show you .

Offline scar7835

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dream come true
« Reply #98 on: Feb 24, 2006, 07:00 AM »
I have a fish trap guide. There was a black hut to the left of me but he left before i did and i'm not sure when? I left at 9pm and i didnt even see him drive away.I am bringing my nephew there tomorrow hope to get them again ,just maybe some more keepers.( marcus if you wouldnt mind i would love to know where your fishing on cassadaga?)

That was me in the black hut. I left at 8pm and had good results as well. ;D Very lite bite, must be on your toes!

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 24, 2006, 09:33 AM »

How about shouting out if you are planning to  to come to Bear Lake this Saturday afternoon. Just wondering also who will be cooking out there, so we have all we need and not duplicate too much, ie charcoal grills.
People who may need live minnows, and can't get them locally, might also yell, so I can bring out enough.

The bite has been towards 3:oo PM and after, into the night. ;D

Bear_Lake_Bob :tipup:

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #100 on: Feb 24, 2006, 10:39 AM »
Bob - Don't think I'll be able to make the trip back there. Not sure yet. Got some good ice around rochester, so I may stay local and hit up the area here. But - that could always change too, and I may pack up shop and come back for the afternoon. We shall see...
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 24, 2006, 11:47 AM »

Hijinks:

Thanks for the note. Did the bay freeze up to safe conditions yet? I always thought you were from the lake shore, where you knew my son  Mike from rats. I lived in Pittsford during my High School years. Best ice fishing I ever saw was in the Barge Canal after they drained it.Huge pockets of very hungry fish.
You owe it to yourself to ice fish the old Redmon Cement Quarry, near the Geneseee Valley Conservation Club across from Panarama Plaza. You will be pleasantly surprised! ;D

Nice article you wrote a while back oon icefishing the Bay for the sporting paper!

See what happens

Bear_Lake_Bob

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Feb 24, 2006, 01:07 PM »
Bob - I did go to Lakeshore. Moved here about 5 years ago, but my family and everyone is still from back that way. Moved here for the wife. Good fishing spots, but I always have my favorites back that way. Tough when you spend 20 years on the water back there, and then get tossed into all new arenas up here.

Bay isn't complete yet. Just the NE corner. I put a hurting on the perch and some nice pike before Christmas. Got to weed through a lot of dinks, but you can get some nice fish too. Few years back I limited out in less than 2 hours with nothing smaller than 10". Right place at the right time.

Redmon Quarry huh? I may have to look into that. Heard guys talk about that before but could never find it. I'm going on the hunt now!

Thanks for the compliment on the article. Don't do much with NY Outdoor News anymore, but I've got 2-3 articles going in FH News on a bi-monthly basis. Few extra spending bucks for writing about something I enjoy - can't beat it.

Empty is on Chatauaqua now - waiting for a report. Keep ya posted....

2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Feb 24, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Bob,

How would I get to that quarry? Can you PM me the directions - worth checking out...

Thanks

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'll Treck for Miles For Slab Perch...
« Reply #104 on: Feb 24, 2006, 01:17 PM »
we'll be headin' to bear saturday...either in a hut or the windbreak if the weather is cooperating, sometime after lunch into the dark.  i'm plannin' on bearing right a bit from the scout camp a bit...the recent pressure, and the overall lack of major success makes me want to move a bit.  i always remembered fishin' off the right side of the camp anyways.  going to try to find 22fow or so, and set up the vex.  will probably set up a few pike tipups offshore too if all goes right.

hijinks, do you mean lakeshore in angola?  im from angola, born and raised.  maybe ill see ya out on bear again sometime

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #105 on: Feb 24, 2006, 07:46 PM »
That was me in the black hut. I left at 8pm and had good results as well. ;D Very lite bite, must be on your toes!
yeah it was a light bite i had to use a sensitve bobber because i would miss them with just the rod.How deep was it over there i was around 18' and was getting them right on the bottom.I would get them( the ones that bit) to chase it up about three feet off the bottom before they grabbed it.I wanted to get over there today but took my nephew to mayville ice is like 4" on shore and went down to about 2 1/2 when we got out aways so i think i'll wait a few more days before i go back. I'll stick to bear or try cassadaga sounds like marcus is doing good.

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #106 on: Feb 25, 2006, 08:16 AM »
I went by bear last night on my way home from Chatuagua at 8 p.m. -- one truck and two lanterns out by the camp. Was that you hunter or marcus? Just wondering how ya did.

thanks -- hunter send me a instant messege if you want more info on mission
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline scar7835

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dream come true
« Reply #107 on: Feb 25, 2006, 05:02 PM »
yeah it was a light bite i had to use a sensitve bobber because i would miss them with just the rod.How deep was it over there i was around 18' and was getting them right on the bottom.I would get them( the ones that bit) to chase it up about three feet off the bottom before they grabbed it.I wanted to get over there today but took my nephew to mayville ice is like 4" on shore and went down to about 2 1/2 when we got out aways so i think i'll wait a few more days before i go back. I'll stick to bear or try cassadaga sounds like marcus is doing good.
I was in about 11ft of water and gettin a bite around 9ft. I was out Wednesday and the bite was lite and infrequent. I'll be down tomarrow morning ;D!

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 26, 2006, 01:12 PM »
was on bear yesterday in 23fow.  marked fish here and there, but all around it was a slow day for both catchin' em' and on the vex.  if we go back, we're going to try goin' shallower next week.  the blistering wind made movie around not an option.  :-\

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 26, 2006, 04:11 PM »
Trekker:

Yesterday was a blast, wasn't it. You guys lasted a way lot longer than I did. People all round us has lots of fish. I never wet a line, II had two friends in my shanty, turned my back to get their lines for them, and wouldn't you know, the hut was traveling down the ice with  both of them in it. We really never fished, after that incident  but saw all the guys around us doing great. You were only 125 yds away  from the tree branch in the twilight Zone!

Today I started at 1:00 PM and fished till 4:00 Pm alone. Same story almost, 1 had to chase my Clam 1oo yds down the ice being blown by the wind. Finally caught up to it befor it struck another shanty. Fishing started rather sow for everyone, but soon picked up. When I left there were 5 huts ot there remaining, and from what I could see and hear, all were catching fish. Limits were caught but only after culling quite a number of fish which just measured short.I left because I was bored catching fish. Didn't hear from any other frequent Ice Shanty Members out there today!  :'(

The ice is beautiful, now 8-10 of REAL ICE, and it was cracking and groaning all day today too! ;D

Yesterday the picnic I had planned  for the shanty guys was held in a garage on Muskie Point due to the terrible weather. The fish remain at approx. 4ft up taking mostly minnows.

Some fishermen were on the water well into the darkness even with all that wind. Today, it was only 1/3 as bad, yet still a problem.

Bear_Lake_Bob

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #110 on: Feb 26, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Trekker:

Yesterday was a blast, wasn't it. You guys lasted a way lot longer than I did. People all round us has lots of fish. I never wet a line, II had two friends in my shanty, turned my back to get their lines for them, and wouldn't you know, the hut was traveling down the ice with  both of them in it. We really never fished, after that incident  but saw all the guys around us doing great. You were only 125 yds away  from the tree branch in the twilight Zone!

Today I started at 1:00 PM and fished till 4:00 Pm alone. Same story almost, 1 had to chase my Clam 1oo yds down the ice being blown by the wind. Finally caught up to it befor it struck another shanty. Fishing started rather sow for everyone, but soon picked up. When I left there were 5 huts ot there remaining, and from what I could see and hear, all were catching fish. Limits were caught but only after culling quite a number of fish which just measured short.I left because I was bored catching fish. Didn't hear from any other frequent Ice Shanty Members out there today!  :'(

The ice is beautiful, now 8-10 of REAL ICE, and it was cracking and groaning all day today too! ;D

Yesterday the picnic I had planned  for the shanty guys was held in a garage on Muskie Point due to the terrible weather. The fish remain at approx. 4ft up taking mostly minnows.

Some fishermen were on the water well into the darkness even with all that wind. Today, it was only 1/3 as bad, yet still a problem.

Bear_Lake_Bob

Bob, nice to hear the ice and fishings ok on bear lake.I have fished there the last 4or5 winters with some success. Was wondering if you guys are using minnows or wax worms? Thinking about coming over there one of these nights this week. Appreciate your reply.

J Young --- falconer NY
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 26, 2006, 09:48 PM »

idiyoung:

Hopefully you will come when the wind stops blowing and the snow stops falling. It was a blistering two days out there,Icetrekker will testify to that!

The fish seem to preferr live minnows, but are also taking grubs on small jigs. One thing I noticed, if you want to catch fish, lots of fsh, keep the pole in your hand, and keep the bait moving at all times. Some bites are so soft it is more like an illusion then strike.

Glad to help

Bear_Lake_BoB

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:12 AM »
Bob -

How deep were those guys catching them?  The guys in the green hut that left before dark did well, but everyone else saturday claimed to only get half a dozen keepers if that.  I feel that we were too deep.  If we go back, we're planning on getting into 16-20fow and fishing the same way.

The weather Sat was awful!  I have never been cold inside a hut with a heater and a lantern going inside.  Weatherchannel.com says the weather in stockton this weekend will be partly sunny, highs in mid 30's and lows in mid 20's with 11mph winds.  Thats fine by me!  Better than the hurricane like winds last weekend!

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #113 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:05 AM »
idiyoung:

Hopefully you will come when the wind stops blowing and the snow stops falling. It was a blistering two days out there,Icetrekker will testify to that!

The fish seem to preferr live minnows, but are also taking grubs on small jigs. One thing I noticed, if you want to catch fish, lots of fsh, keep the pole in your hand, and keep the bait moving at all times. Some bites are so soft it is more like an illusion then strike.

Glad to help

Bear_Lake_BoB
Hey BoB,
Thanks for the reply! I'm new to this website but already realize what I've been missing! The last time I fished Bear Lake I went out by "muskie pt.?" at least I think that's what it"s called. All I know is that it"s down by where the creek feeds into the lake. I was inside the bar towards shore a little bit in around 20 to 23 fow. Caught a few and the bite was verrry light as you said. If you have any advice on a better spot let me know. I"ve read about you guys fishing over by the boy scouts camp. Is it any better? I"ve noticed in the past that the bite is usually better after dark. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
                                                                J young
Thinking about coming over Tues. PM
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #114 on: Feb 27, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Good Reports guys thank you.
Man was this a crappy weekend to fish or what.
Wind was horrible all over, cuba was no better on fri.
Keep at it guys maybe this weekend I can get out that way!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #115 on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Sounds like you guys did good, did that say limit catches ????? Man figures i fished cassadaga and caught a bunch of shorts not one keeper!!!! I'm going to try cassadaga once more then i guess i'll come back over there.

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:12 PM »

Hunter08

All the diehards who bothered to fish over the weekend deserve a merit badge, or a trip to a psychiatrist.It has taken the wind out of my sails completely. Not everyone fishing did well. It depended where you were, and how much time you wanted to spend moving your baits, and paying attention to those slight motions of the bobber.

From what I have seen and been told, the area around the creek inlet has not been hot at all, with almost all fish reported off the old camp at the point!

I notice we talk on Ice Shanty about channel 7 radio use. On Bear Lake, I rarely call and get a response from anyone,so I assume no members are out.

I don't ever like to tell people what to do, but I hope we all police ourselves and pick up all our litter, junk, and in some cases over last weekend, shanty parts, or whole shanties.I belong to the Bear Lake Property Owners Association, and believe me, so far the locals have tolerated the on road parking and tresspass to the lake, but you never know what ticks them off, especially litter.  :tipup:

I am watching the weather for a more pleasant day, with winds under 30mph or so>>HA! 8)

Bear_Lake_Bob

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Feb 28, 2006, 03:30 PM »
It was me in the green hut. We moved four times, and finally found the fish. We caught around 60 didn't keep any as I am a catch and release person. Fish were anywhere from 2-6 foot off the bottom. very light bite,spring bobers were a must. And for the wind,it was crazy.Couldn't get off our seat or we'd lose the hut.We fished until about 2:30 and by that time we were all winded. lol :o i will try toGET back there this weekend but i thinksome big pike are calling my name  ::) maybe sun oh buy the way small minnies seem to work better  BIGFISH   PS CATCH A BIG ONE   ::) ::)

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #118 on: Feb 28, 2006, 11:04 PM »
It was me in the green hut. We moved four times, and finally found the fish. We caught around 60 didn't keep any as I am a catch and release person. Fish were anywhere from 2-6 foot off the bottom. very light bite,spring bobers were a must. And for the wind,it was crazy.Couldn't get off our seat or we'd lose the hut.We fished until about 2:30 and by that time we were all winded. lol :o i will try toGET back there this weekend but i thinksome big pike are calling my name  ::) maybe sun oh buy the way small minnies seem to work better  BIGFISH   PS CATCH A BIG ONE   ::) ::)
how many did you get over 10 inches?(alot or a little?) 

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #119 on: Feb 28, 2006, 11:07 PM »
Hunter08

All the diehards who bothered to fish over the weekend deserve a merit badge, or a trip to a psychiatrist.It has taken the wind out of my sails completely. Not everyone fishing did well. It depended where you were, and how much time you wanted to spend moving your baits, and paying attention to those slight motions of the bobber.

From what I have seen and been told, the area around the creek inlet has not been hot at all, with almost all fish reported off the old camp at the point!

I notice we talk on Ice Shanty about channel 7 radio use. On Bear Lake, I rarely call and get a response from anyone,so I assume no members are out.

I don't ever like to tell people what to do, but I hope we all police ourselves and pick up all our litter, junk, and in some cases over last weekend, shanty parts, or whole shanties.I belong to the Bear Lake Property Owners Association, and believe me, so far the locals have tolerated the on road parking and tresspass to the lake, but you never know what ticks them off, especially litter.  :tipup:

I am watching the weather for a more pleasant day, with winds under 30mph or so>>HA! 8)

Bear_Lake_Bob
So did those guys leave crap all over the lake bob? I hope it wasnt a shanty member that only fishedthere because of the info from here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.