Author Topic: Ice etiquette  (Read 5996 times)

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice etiquette
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2014, 01:32 AM »
IMO, comparing boat fishing to icefishing is like comparing an apple to an orange.  You need space fishing out of a boat, there are a lot of icefishermen that literally fish side by side.
IMO people should respect you at the same time. I respect other people.  Dont get me wrong ive met alot of people on the ice and have fished with them there after. Letting a guy borrow your auger is one thing. Helping a guy out is one thing. Going right up to a complete stanger and either setting up on top of them or worse yet fishing their holes........thats an entirely different thing.  Have some manners, its allin how you approach people.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:44 AM »
gets worse every year too. its too bad people cant leave others alone. people that move in on you and use your holes or gear, are the same ones that live on the backs of those of us that work for a living. they leave trash, relentlessly pound a good bite, and eventually ruin, or get a spot shut down completely. i have some strong words for those guys, but they cant be posted on here. lol

just happened last night. we set up several hundred yards out, away form the "community hole", that was rumored to be running dry. 3 hours into the night three guys walk out where we were and started drilling around us. there was an entire lake they could have checked but no, they had to be nosy. the marginal bite we had was over anyhow, so after a while they left. they didnt say anything to us, but what if we were pulling fish, then what? they would have stayed and bothered us all night. people need to find their own fishing spots. imo  im not going to do something like that and dont appreciate others doing it to me!

this doesnt apply for a known honey hole, on a flat situation. that is a different story there. its just a small area and understood close quarters. even then you dont walk over and drop down a guys holes he is fishing! that is just rude behavior.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline NovaCovah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2014, 08:10 AM »
After 20 years of marriage I have finally gotten my wife to go ice fishing.  You try to use that hole I will lay you out!

As far as the fishing goes, I enjoy seeing people catching fish but the original post, that sounds a bit pushy.  Maybe you could have asked if he wanted to come sit in your lap or something to point out he was a bit over the top.

Offline Underdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:18 AM »
After 20 years of marriage I have finally gotten my wife to go ice fishing.  You try to use that hole I will lay you out!

As far as the fishing goes, I enjoy seeing people catching fish but the original post, that sounds a bit pushy.  Maybe you could have asked if he wanted to come sit in your lap or something to point out he was a bit over the top.

LOL.  Use this line, "I put you on fish, you are using my holes, do you need me to catch them for you too?"

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:50 AM »
There are some guys that will not only fish too close or fish your holes, but yell across the bay for everyone to hear. HEY THEIR CATCHING FISH OVER HERE!! Have seen it happen more than once...lol
Paul

Offline Rwolff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:52 AM »
I've had the same happen to me including guys that would walk up to me just to see what I have in my bucket without saying a word even after I say hello to them. That's part of the reason I never leave my fish on the ice and keep a lid on my bucket, where I go so does my fish. Also when I do get on fish I flip the shanty over, they don't need to know if I'm having good action or not. I know it may seem selfish but I've had too many people walk a long distance to drill holes 20ft from me. I see one guy just about every weekend walk onto the ice and spend the first few min watching everyone else then set up right next to the ones he see's catching fish. I know I feel a lot better about catching fish after I did the work to find them on my own, just more rewarding to me I guess.

Offline bronzwhaler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Regular people just dont understand why we do this
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:07 AM »
gets worse every year too. its too bad people cant leave others alone. people that move in on you and use your holes or gear, are the same ones that live on the backs of those of us that work for a living. they leave trash, relentlessly pound a good bite, and eventually ruin, or get a spot shut down completely. i have some strong words for those guys, but they cant be posted on here. lol

just happened last night. we set up several hundred yards out, away form the "community hole", that was rumored to be running dry. 3 hours into the night three guys walk out where we were and started drilling around us. there was an entire lake they could have checked but no, they had to be nosy. the marginal bite we had was over anyhow, so after a while they left. they didnt say anything to us, but what if we were pulling fish, then what? they would have stayed and bothered us all night. people need to find their own fishing spots. imo  im not going to do something like that and dont appreciate others doing it to me!

this doesnt apply for a known honey hole, on a flat situation. that is a different story there. its just a small area and understood close quarters. even then you dont walk over and drop down a guys holes he is fishing! that is just rude behavior.
You kind of hit the nail on the head with this guy.  This area had some trash in it already.  I try to always take my trash out.  On occasion, the wind will take it before I can do anything...it happens.  But this guy...all I have to say....if your at Summit and you see a partially eaten sub sitting on the ice....you know where we fished.
You can't fix stupid

Offline Hack58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Ok I have to ask.  I try and be respectful and not intrude on another person's "claim" but what do you do when you're sitting on a couple holes and someone with a power auger comes in and drills a dozen or so holes on either side of you?  Not infringing directly on your area but effectively shutting off any chance you have to move without getting in to his area.  I've had this happen a lot this year and had reactions from the driller telling me to use his holes if a want to move to a guy threatening to involve the CO because I drilled 20' from one of the holes that he drilled but hadn't used yet (which was only about 20' from the one I was fishing when he drilled it).  I really try and be considerate but honestly I'm tired of guys with power augers tearing up an area and then acting like it's all theirs cause they have a hole there whether they're using it or not.  Am I totally wrong here?  It would be different I think if I come up on them but every time I'm on the ice before the other guy got there.  End of rant.......
Tight lines everyone!

Offline Underdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Public water right?  To my knowledge there is nothing in the regs that cover any of this stuff.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:31 AM »
other fisherman fish my holes all the time they are welcome to fish by me anytime I will even give them a jig like mine if im catching a lot  :icefish: :thumbsup: :icefish:
Never to many short poles

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:31 AM »
The nerve of some fisherman. I did all the work, drilling holes, finding fish, preparing my equipment in advance. Let alone the money invested in all my good stuff. Don't they know I'm the greatest, with the only place on the lake that has keepers? They must know how Great I am, why else would they show up?

Just last week while sitting in my shanty, these people walked clear across the lake and walked less than ten foot from me while I was fishing. I couldn't take it, and went out to talk to them. I found out they were from the Netherlands on vacation. I showed them my set up. Let them use my auger, because they never drilled a hole in ice before. They went away educated and added a memorable story to their vacation. Glad I had the nerve to go out and meet them.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Want some input from you experienced ice fishermen.  Was out today at Summit.  Got out before daylight, drilled a lot of holes,  Finally, after about 2 hours, pinpointed where the gills were.  Set myself up a "milkrun" of holes.  Around 11:30, a single fisherman comes out and start fishing about 50 yards away.  Five minutes later, he walks over and asks how we are doing.  I say it's been a struggle, but we are grinding out a mess.  He walks back to his gear and drags back to the area we were fishing.  He asks if he can fish some of the outer holes we drilled.  I didn't see it being and issue, since we never pulled any fish out of them.  I told him that those holes were shallow.  I proceeded to catch 2 keepers.  After 15 minutes of no action, I decided to hit 1 of my "milkrun' holes.  Before my jig hit the bottom of the next hole, this guy was fishing the hole I caught the 2 keepers.  Don't get me wrong, I don't own the water, but is this pushing my generosity?  I did make the comment...are you fishing 1 of my "milkrun" holes?  He says, "Oh, I thought you wre done".  If I catch anything, I will give it to you.  Well, he didn't.  However, he fished every hole around me, included some my other "milkrun' holes.  Those didn't bother as much, since they didn't produce as well.  The difference was my best hole was 6" deeper.  I could actaully reach out and pat this guy on the back for about 2 hours.  Am I going too far with this or should I have pushed the issue a little more?

bronzwhaler,  I personally think the guy took advantage of your generosity and over-stepped the boundaries.  He should have respected your fishing space more.  But you did the right thing by being tolerant and hospitable.  It could have been very easy to get into a peeing match with this guy and could have turned out differently.  Save the peeing matches for the times when it's really important!

I think just being good a person, knowing when to be helpful and when to share information and with whom....will come back to you with rewards many times over. 

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2014, 11:21 AM »
The nerve of some fisherman. I did all the work, drilling holes, finding fish, preparing my equipment in advance. Let alone the money invested in all my good stuff. Don't they know I'm the greatest, with the only place on the lake that has keepers? They must know how Great I am, why else would they show up?

Just last week while sitting in my shanty, these people walked clear across the lake and walked less than ten foot from me while I was fishing. I couldn't take it, and went out to talk to them. I found out they were from the Netherlands on vacation. I showed them my set up. Let them use my auger, because they never drilled a hole in ice before. They went away educated and added a memorable story to their vacation. Glad I had the nerve to go out and meet them.
do you mind if I put my deer/tree stand in the same tree as yours??...lol
Paul

Offline 6stringer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I was at 105 at Sally the other day and dropped in a couple of holes on the way out. Hope I didn't step on someone's toes. There were several people fishing and moving around a lot. A lot of holes too. It had warmed up some and the holes were not freezing over. I assumed they were drilled by someone who had left but I really didn't know. They were not really very close to anyone. I don't have a lot of experience ice fishing and would hope if someone didn't want the holes being fished they would mark them somehow. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Offline Underdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2014, 11:39 AM »
do you mind if I put my deer/tree stand in the same tree as yours??...lol
Paul

You ever deer hunt public land?  If not that is just about what it is like.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2014, 11:48 AM »
Ok I have to ask.  I try and be respectful and not intrude on another person's "claim" but what do you do when you're sitting on a couple holes and someone with a power auger comes in and drills a dozen or so holes on either side of you?  Not infringing directly on your area but effectively shutting off any chance you have to move without getting in to his area.  I've had this happen a lot this year and had reactions from the driller telling me to use his holes if a want to move to a guy threatening to involve the CO because I drilled 20' from one of the holes that he drilled but hadn't used yet (which was only about 20' from the one I was fishing when he drilled it).  I really try and be considerate but honestly I'm tired of guys with power augers tearing up an area and then acting like it's all theirs cause they have a hole there whether they're using it or not.  Am I totally wrong here?  It would be different I think if I come up on them but every time I'm on the ice before the other guy got there.  End of rant.......

For the guy that wanted to call the CO, I would have told him to go ahead...you would be right there to watch the CO write the other guy a ticket for harrassemnt of a fisherman which is against the law in Indiana.  You were in the area first and he drilled in on you.  If he is not willing to share his holes or is gonig to act like a 2 yr old if you choose to drill some more holes in the area, then he is harassing you.  He showed you no, respect, but he expects you to show him some.  No one owns the water, so if he is not willing to share, and thinks he 'owns' a 20 foot radius around all the holes he drills, he should not be fishing near others.  Best to let the law deal with these turds if he wants to call them out...Maybe if they get hit in the wallet they will think twice before acting like they own the water or ice.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2014, 05:35 PM »
After reading through this thread, I can only say I'm even more thankful to fish private water. No rude people, no noise, no commotion and no drama. Just peace and quiet.

Offline bronzwhaler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Regular people just dont understand why we do this
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2014, 05:50 PM »
With all that's been said, I know next time how to handle this...I hope.  I don't mind helping people who need help, but people who walk up and ask how we are doing and then sit down with more gear than me.  Basically shove me out of the way when I'm moving to another hole or leaving, we will have a polite discussion about etiquette.  This is part of the reason I got out fishing bass tournaments.  Inconsiderate and impolite fishermen!
You can't fix stupid

Offline Underdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2014, 05:53 PM »
After reading through this thread, I can only say I'm even more thankful to fish private water. No rude people, no noise, no commotion and no drama. Just peace and quiet.

I know what you are saying.  I just don't let things bother me out on the ice.  To me, public water is public water.  I have ran into a heckuva lot more good people out there than I have bad.  But I don't put someone in the bad category just because they want to catch fish.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:00 PM »
There are some guys that will not only fish too close or fish your holes, but yell across the bay for everyone to hear. HEY THEIR CATCHING FISH OVER HERE!! Have seen it happen more than once...lol
Paul
Paul this means you have seen me on the ice before, next time I'll look for the guy wearing the ND hat and a pile of carp and I'll introduce myself.  If you notice me first come say hi, I'll be in the Bama hat or the guy yelling that you are over here catching fish :roflmao:

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Paul this means you have seen me on the ice before, next time I'll look for the guy wearing the ND hat and a pile of carp and I'll introduce myself.  If you notice me first come say hi, I'll be in the Bama hat or the guy yelling that you are over here catching fish :roflmao:

I know how to find you. Look for the path worn in the snow from walking back your gills...lol..I'll be hiding in my shack..with beer and fish.   Lol
Paul

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Border JUmper you are correct.  Everyone knows that 1 that produces all day is rare.  So you try to set up a string of holes that are close and close to the same depth.  After texting with Nanner later this evening, I guess I left my mark.  The guy never pulled a keeper out of the hole.  One thing I forgot to mention earlier...I announced to my normal fishing buddy that it was time for me to hit the road, this guy moved right into that hole and started moving my gear...Balls bigger than Texas.  I will try to get my buddy to post the pic that he took of this problem. 
I would have said - you know? I think i'll stay a little longer and go back to fishing those holes and make him move his arse!

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Public water right?  To my knowledge there is nothing in the regs that cover any of this stuff.
its public water, mind if i kick u in the n__s while were at it?

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 24, 2014, 12:41 AM »
I have a question on this, I fish a place once and a while and its a small bay. I have been there and I bet there is 30 holes all over.   I usually go drill my own but I have jumped around to other holes as long as I haven't seen anyone fishing them. I wouldn't be rude and jump into your hole but I was wondering about the area fishing. I may drill within 20 feet of one of the holes in the bay if your at the other end. Whats your catch on this?
Gator Nation

Offline Underdog67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:37 AM »
I have a question on this, I fish a place once and a while and its a small bay. I have been there and I bet there is 30 holes all over.   I usually go drill my own but I have jumped around to other holes as long as I haven't seen anyone fishing them. I wouldn't be rude and jump into your hole but I was wondering about the area fishing. I may drill within 20 feet of one of the holes in the bay if your at the other end. Whats your catch on this?

One of my favorite spots is a small bay as well.  If I get there early, as do other anglers, we cut our own holes unless they aren't froze over from the day before.  As the morning progresses more anglers come out and more holes are cut.  By the end of the day the bay is swiss cheezed and many of the anglers that cut holes are no longer there.  Just because you get to place and see an angler or 10 doesn't mean they are the ones that cut the holes.  If the holes are "unattended" I will fish them.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #55 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:45 AM »
heres another question

say there is a good hole on a flat that everyone fishes. loads of people come and go all day every day. this hole is maybe 25 yrds across. if i was to set poles in the ice and tarp off around the entire hole. place reflectors and everything it needed to be a legal shanty. it covers all the fishable area, would that be considered rude? lol if guys entered it and fished without permission, would that be trespassing? lol worse yet if they entered while you were in there! is a shanty like your car or home, where the castle doctrine is concerned?

talk about getting people mad or worse!  ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:23 AM »

I don't have a problem with someone setting up 20/10 ft from me in some circumstances. First ice/last ice and community holes are going to have guys close together. Fishing un-attended holes in that scenario is fine. It happens every year at most lakes. If you see a guy drill 2 or 3 holes, let him fish them, don't come over and start fishing new holes. That is where the problem is...lol..Every person is different and circumstances are different. I would not feel comfortable setting up 5 ft away from a stranger?? Some people will do that? If I'm in a bay all by myself..no ones fished it and someone comes in and sets up right next to me ?? I consider that a little odd. At least ask and most of the time people will say yes and tell you where to drill..just give a little space.
If your in Beaver Creek at first ice and it's the only ice on the lake..it's a free for all!! ...and that's O.K. Same goes for camp ground and causeway...lol...at Summit that is.
The distance thing goes out the window when among friends...lol...might fish out of the same hole.
On the other hand..you will know for sure when you are being "drilled under" by a group of guys that have no respect or courtesy..trust me.
Paul

Offline Jparso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:37 AM »
That's just not right :-\

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 24, 2014, 11:20 AM »
i dont mind guys coming in and fishing next to me, sometimes helps keep the pod of fish hanging around, gives you someone to chat with exchange knowledge which can be had by stories and memories. maybe that person has a magic jig from the day before and can lend it to you who is struggling... but what DOES bother me, is if im fishing a spot thats known to spit out fish, and they come and set up during the primary timea of a good bite. get out early enough and do all that work and noise before the fish get there. then settle in and relax.
Got one goin'!

Offline bwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 24, 2014, 01:00 PM »
This is kind of funny, a bunch of good hearted, polite and responsible fishermen questioning, debating, and lecturing other good hearted, polite and responsible fisherman; that's what the forums all about I guess.  I don't think anyone that has commented on this would do anything like this.  The 1% that would probably aren't on here right now, there on the ice tossing cigarette butts right now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.