The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Unlocking State Lands  (Read 2192 times)

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Unlocking State Lands
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2014, 11:14 AM »
This is good, like where the conversation is going.  Still looking for someone who has a group or groups who can champion the corner crossing cause.  A large group like RMEF with some political clout would be great but I know there are some sportsmans groups that are probably already in this fight.  It would be good to hear about some, I'm tired of complaining about this and not putting my money where my mouth is ;)

Offline Yelloweyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2014, 11:57 AM »
hallijig
I routinely hunt down by boulder and have recently had the same issue down there.  Hunted there for the last 20 years and last year, land owner(s) and F&G got in a pissing match over Big Horn Sheep.  Now most of the valley that was in Block Management is closed.  Its 2 fold, bad for the F&G to tell the landowner what he's going to do with his own land, and 2ndly shame on the LO for using the hunting public as pawns.  The citizens and sportsmans are the ones who have lost out big time.  Honestly I hope that the elk completely devastate their fences and crops, they deserve it.  The problem with the state land thats land locked is most of those ranches that have said leases, sub lease to outfitters who cater to rich out of staters.  So the ranchers make way more money that way than what this program is currently able to provide.  Dont get me wrong its a step in the right direction, but i honestly don't see it being successful.

Offline halijigmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 2014, 03:24 PM »
In my case it was outfitters who leased the adjoining land posting the state land that bordered a county road,I tore down many of their signs,repainted the orange posts blue,had two face to face altercations with them,photo documented their bs and the F&G had 0 interest in stopping it.Either they got tired of me or they lost their lease either way it has stopped for the time being.If land owners want hunters to side with them on these issues they better make an effort to repair relations,if they want to be turds we might as well side with the F&G,maybe we will get to apply for a Bison tag,or a sheep tag in a new zone some day if the F&G gets their way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.