Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Just ordered a Black Betty!  (Read 4067 times)

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Just ordered a Black Betty!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:42 AM »
I fish with the Thorne Brothers Power Noodles. My first one was one of the first ones made. They sanded the blank by hand. It is by far the most sensitive. Also it is still twisting- end eye is 90 degrees to the left of the reel seat. I have a white power noodle which is so stiff I use it with a jigging rap. The newer rods are getting back to good sensitivity. I thing it's the luck of the draw on the blanks regardless of the brand.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:56 AM »
Well, after fishing a couple times with the BB, I am not a fan. I think I will stick with spinning tackle.

Offline Tomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Good idea!  I introduced a buddy of mine to hard water fishing this year.  He thought he would be cute and purchase a BB.  He pulled it out one day and said look at my new rod and reel.  I said what are you going to do with that.  He told me he was going to catch fish.  I laughed, and told him I would be fishing the whole time and he would be chasing birds nests.  First bite, GEE I was right ;D ;D ;D.  After about 3 of those incident's in a row, he decided to go back to his spinning reel.  It didn't help matters he hadn't fished in 20 years.
Otter XT 1200 Lodge, Clam 6800, Clam JR, Strikemaster Auger, Marcum LX5, Honda Rincon.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:20 PM »
I better eBay it before word gets out  ;D

Offline Crawdad28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:59 PM »
HA. I too have a black Betty in the bottom of a box somewhere which I used for lie , oh say 1 hr of fishing. Lol the quality is there, but no drag or retrieve. Funny, I had the Eagle Claw in my hand and thought, what a piece of junk. Well after much persuasion, two years later I bought the eagle claw too. Will be trying it out tomorrow, hope it don't end up in the same box as the black Betty. Lol. The eagle claw is geared, has an adjustable free spool like a bait cast, and has a drag. Problem was the last one available  in the Des Moines area was pink. Lol.
I don't think the quality of the Eagle Claw is near that of the BB, but the options and price point are definitely better. We will see after it makes the trip to SD with me tomorrow..

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2014, 10:09 PM »
I like my fly reel for shallow water but anything over 10 or 12 feet my go to reels are 13 Black Betty 6061's but I am in the market for a cheap Black Betty for my long rod since I won't need a drag and only used for hole hopping shallow water.  So who wants to get rid of one cheap....

Offline Crawdad28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Pm me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.