Author Topic: Ice fishing suit?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing suit?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2014, 01:57 PM »
I like my Clam blue suit. Its very weather tight without being uncomfortable. I'm sure most of these suits are basically the same, just different colors or lettering. I bought the blue suit over the grey because you can always layer up so I didn't want anything too heavy. I wore mine out a few weeks ago and sat on a 5 gal bucket in 20-25mph winds and it was like 12 degrees out and didn't feel any wind through it at all.
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2014, 02:07 PM »
i got the frabill ice suit a few years back from glen's . got here fast and well below msrp(399). suit is awesome. i use the jacket more than the bibs. i save the bibs for the coldest days only. i fish outside 95% of the time and need a shelter on my back and this is it

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:45 PM »
I just bought a Salus floater suit,kind of crunchy and not that warm,went back to the Arctic Armour suit.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Have the striker suit and kneel in slush all the time and knees have never been wet, had it for 3 yrs, and I fish more than most guys do!!  Also super warm , no shanty for me!

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:19 PM »
I have the Striker hardwater suit now.  I'm 6ft tall 175 lbs  and the fit is great.    so many suits are best suited for shorter , heavier people.  Im very glad that I have a great fitting quality suit.
I also have cabellas extreme guide wear insulated and non insulated.   Good products cabella's makes... but the legs cant go over the big winter boots ( only mid weather boots like fall or spring warmth) 
Frabil and Clam suits are for shorter and heavier guys
Sportsman

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:44 AM »
I have the Striker hardwater suit now.  I'm 6ft tall 175 lbs  and the fit is great. 

So you are saying the Striker suits will fit taller people better. How about a 6'6" 220 lb guy.

I know what you mean about the Clam and Frabill. As much as I would love the Frabill ice Suit. When I tried on the bibs seamed like I was to tall for them.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:18 AM »
So you are saying the Striker suits will fit taller people better. How about a 6'6" 220 lb guy.

I know what you mean about the Clam and Frabill. As much as I would love the Frabill ice Suit. When I tried on the bibs seamed like I was to tall for them.

I'm 6'5" 195 lbs and the Cabela's Ice Angler bibs fit very well in XLT.  You might go to XXLT for even more room.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 09, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Striker Ice Lite here.

Love it, would gladly buy again if something happened to it.  In fact, more than a few friends that bought the "other" floating suit are moving to the newer version of my Ice Lite suit.  It's better, simply put.

Offline bobby1772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Looking to buy a quality ice fishing suit-- jacket and bibs.  Any info or advice on what to get ;)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:24 PM »
I know some people who have sold their Arctic Armor Suits and purchased Striker Ice Suits and say there is no comparison in quality, warmth, durability, and breathe ability..

This ^^^

I didn't sell my AA though, I would feel too bad for the buyer.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:44 PM »

Bobby
 You owe it to yourself to checkout Strikers.
 I see your from "the Falls" ... you can find Striker suits at Scheels in GF or Lewistown Sports in Lewistown.
 If you have questions beyond the expertise of a salesperson at Scheels, the Montana rep for Striker Suits is the member here on IceShanty known as "PerchAssault"
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:46 PM »
One of the best features on the Striker is the adjustable inseam, for short legged guys!

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:14 PM »
I'm 6'5" 195 lbs and the Cabela's Ice Angler bibs fit very well in XLT.  You might go to XXLT for even more room.

Pretty convincing until I saw the 299.00 price for each. Wow 600.00 not happening at this time. Maybe next year.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Do the Cabelas bibs float?

Offline Captain Happy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:42 PM »

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #45 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I was gonna buy a blue Ice Armor suit until  was told they were for stubby little smurfs. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Arctic Armor is junk, mine started to fall apart on day one.  The snaps have pulled off, the liner frayed to the point there's baseball size holes all over it, zippers have broke, seams have had to be mended, my knees are always wet and it does not breath one bit.  Total trash and the company would never stand behind the issues, repairs were offered for a fee.  STAY AWAY.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Pretty convincing until I saw the 299.00 price for each. Wow 600.00 not happening at this time. Maybe next year.

No joke.  They go on sale regularly for $199.00 and I've seen pieces as low as $150 rarely.  $400 is still a pile 'o cash but beats $600.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:30 PM »

Funny I'm 6'7" and roughly 375 and can't even get into a clam blue suit or a frabil suit..
Hard Ice

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2014, 03:45 AM »
No joke.  They go on sale regularly for $199.00 and I've seen pieces as low as $150 rarely.  $400 is still a pile 'o cash but beats $600.

I will have to check them out the next time I get up to Cabelas. Then wait for a sale if I like them.

Offline Jimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:10 AM »
I have the Guide Gear from Sportsman's Guide.  I have used it for 3 seasons now.  It is waterproof and warm, as well as a lot lower price than most.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #51 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:36 PM »
I wear um. Polypro. Sweatpants. Cotton camo pants that I use bowhunting. Then waterproof bdus over those. Polypro top. Flannel. Then a jacket I got out of sportsmans guide for $40. I sit on a bucket. I'm warm. I'm dry. These suits are sweet but they cost as much as a shanty. The only way I could justify it would be the safety factor.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Funny I'm 6'7" and roughly 375 and can't even get into a clam blue suit or a frabil suit..
I bet it would be hard to find a good floater to fit you at the best of times ;)

Offline bobby1772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Bobby
 You owe it to yourself to checkout Strikers.
 I see your from "the Falls" ... you can find Striker suits at Scheels in GF or Lewistown Sports in Lewistown.
 If you have questions beyond the expertise of a salesperson at Scheels, the Montana rep for Striker Suits is the member here on IceShanty known as "PerchAssault"
Thank you very much sir I don't trust any of the scheels guys farther than I can throw them I cant describe how crummy they are I appreciate your info

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Also like no Velcro on the bib legs, magnetic closure, works great!

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Striker Ice Hardwater bibs/jacket and be done with it ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.