New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Who has ice fishing battle scares  (Read 1968 times)

Offline bigdaddyc9

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cooler than a mentholated snowball!!!
Re: Who has ice fishing battle scares
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:14 AM »
Went to Crappie Derby 3 years ago and forgot my creepers.I fished most of morning w/o incident.Around 11am I slipped and fell backwards..saw light then dark.I was thrashing around trying to get up..think a Mike Tyson Opponent..I didn't know where or who I was.I reached back and sw blood on my hand.I got a huge subdermal hematoma and my buddy was too scared that folks would rip off our equipment that he refused to take me to First Aide.It was a long walk to ambulance.I was in bed for 3 days.Never forgot my cleats again..
Please Mother Nature,not this year too???

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:12 AM »
I have line and auger blade scars on hands and boots, 3 inch scar on right shoulder from cleat slippng in 4 wheeler glare ice rut and falling, tearing the crap out of my rotator cuff and having surgery.  Finished fishing that day though, had to stand on the auger handle and pull start it 1 handed to cut holes...Barebow

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:27 AM »
Glad i'm not the only fool to lip a Laker  ::)   

I knew better but it was a nice fish and my glove couldn't be found and couldget her turned ... i just went for it.  :P Got me good.

Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:13 AM »
I've had my share of nicks and scrapes from lipping nice fish. I trust my hands far more than a gaff or grips. And I've paid for it once or twice.  :P
I didn't smarten up and make 1st aid a priority until I started fishing with my kids. It's usually me that needs it, but I've got it now.  ;D

I heard a story this year that scared me enough to never forget my cleats again. A buddy and a group of friends took a yearly trip to Oneida quite a few years ago. One of them realized at the lake he forgot his cleats and headed out anyway. He got 10' out before he slipped and hit his head hard. He spent 3 months in one of the hospitals out there. To this day he is blind in one eye and has no sense of smell. Just hearing the story rattled me a bit. Stay safe fellas.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Last year during a derby we were on the way off the ice and I was carrying the auger over my shoulder, not thinking I stepped up on a 4ft high pressure ridge, as I put all my weight on that leg, I slipped and fell, the auger came down on my head. I got up a little dazed and embarrassed since there were about 30 people in the area and walked over to my truck. A woman came by with a terrified look on her face and asked if I was ok, I said yeah just a welt, and she pointed out my face was covered in blood, had a four inch slice on the side of my face where the auger hit me dripping with blood. I checked it in the mirror and I looked like freddy kruger. Have a nice scar running thru my side burn to remind me to carry the auger a waist level when traveling over glare ice or any uneven surfaces.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:28 AM »
see i'm way to pretty  to ever  get hurt like that!!!!

seriously sorry  you  got  cut like  that

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:29 PM »
A little side note to the auger scar incident I posted this morning,a piece of knuckle skin that is aprox 3/8"x1/2" works great to tip a jig with!
Caught quite a few dink perch and small bluegills with it on my hook,and still took it off and brought it home as a trophy to show my wife! ( I love the way she says eeeuuuwwwww)
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline Larry D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:55 PM »
lol nice  ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:52 PM »
A little side note to the auger scar incident I posted this morning,a piece of knuckle skin that is aprox 3/8"x1/2" works great to tip a jig with!
Caught quite a few dink perch and small bluegills with it on my hook,and still took it off and brought it home as a trophy to show my wife! ( I love the way she says eeeuuuwwwww)
This sir... Has to be the most epic... hardcore thing I have ever heard of.
That is legendary right there.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Broke two ribs going on a lake a couple of years back. I was by myself and two other people were headed out at the same time - before daylight. When I slipped they noticed me fall. Yelled to me if I was OK.  Sat there a second and said I thought so.  Also broke a globe on my lantern. Fished the rest of the day. Did OK.

For the next couple of weeks my wife would roll over in bed and nudge me with her elbow - RIGHT IN THE RIBS ! ! ! to ask me a question. Told her that one of us was going to sleep on the couch. Note to self: Get better couch!

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Just thought of another one that I am not quite sure how I forgot. I was riding my snowmobile down the the pond and had my jet sled in tow. I forgot about my jon boat the was covered up by a drift. My left ski slammed into it and the handlebars jerked. I dislocated my left shoulder and luckily I was able to have it pop back in. Man that hurt. I sat there on the sled rocking back and forth, grabbing my shoulder for a few minutes. It was interesting using the Jiffy being handicapped.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.