New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Pike in Quaker????????  (Read 11005 times)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Big Pike in Quaker????????
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:54 AM »
i also may drive over there when my wife gets home, i gotta cruise up to cuba also and check that out :tipup:
im not worried about checking alma i know thats nice and solid.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:01 AM »
i also may drive over there when my wife gets home, i gotta cruise up to cuba also and check that out :tipup:
im not worried about checking alma i know thats nice and solid.
Hey arch...  How the heck does one insert a photo into these posts?  I am reading up on it in the help area, and I am being led to believe this is handled through file attachments, much like email attachments.  This is pretty standard with other forums as well, but I do not see this option when posting a reply.  Is this something I have to request be turned on by the admin?  Is this handled through profile management?  DO you know??
Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:12 AM »
also about the big pike in quaker there are also monster pannies.
heres 2 12" gills and a 16" trout

heres a few small pike from last year on quaker

and here is the coolest pike in quaker

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:15 AM »
also about the big pike in quaker there are also monster pannies.
heres 2 12" gills and a 16" trout
(Image removed from quote.)
heres a few small pike from last year on quaker
and here is the coolest pike in quaker

Nice.  Yes, big pannies in Quaker for certain.  I have a snap somewhere (on film, not digitized) of a bunch of pikes with a bullgill in the middle.  I'll have to find it and scan it and push it up.  Have a bunch of other pike pics from Quaker, on film, not digitized, as well.  Had some digitals but my last hard drive crash took care of those.

Also have a photo of some smallies I caught out of there, just south of the beach house that are pretty darned stunning, including one that was pushing 5lb.  Caught them one November, while taking a break from the bowhunting, from shore, in about an hours worth of fishing, using a tube jig.  There's plenty of beasts in that lake.  You just gotta catch em!
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:58 AM »
for the bigger bass you have to go across the park to redhouse :tipup:

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:05 PM »
for the bigger bass you have to go across the park to redhouse :tipup:
Largemouths, I agree.  Smallmouths, I would say Quaker has it all over Red House.  Good pike fishing in Red House, too.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:12 PM »
i have lived and fished down here my whole life and have never ever heard of a pike in red house, hell they just drained the entire lake and restocked it 5 or so years ago, and no mention of any pike ??? i have alot of friends that work up there in the summer as well and a couple ex-park police buddies and this is the first mention in 30 years of my life of a pike in red house :tipup:

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:19 PM »
i have lived and fished down here my whole life and have never ever heard of a pike in red house, hell they just drained the entire lake and restocked it 5 or so years ago, and no mention of any pike ??? i have alot of friends that work up there in the summer as well and a couple ex-park police buddies and this is the first mention in 30 years of my life of a pike in red house :tipup:

I've caught 3 out of there, plus a friend of mine a couple years ago caught a slob pike.  Near the island where that "boat launch" and parking area is off Route 1 (just after the Rt 1 and Rt 2 intersection, coming down from Summit trail.  Waded out to the island, casting 1/4 oz Panther Martins.  Yes, pike are in there.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:27 PM »
how long ago was this, because they just drained it and no pike were in there and im sure they didnt put any in when the put the water back in ???

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:11 PM »
how long ago was this, because they just drained it and no pike were in there and im sure they didnt put any in when the put the water back in ???
2001.  And, although they drain the lake, and I have seen it drained more than once in the past 20 years that I have been fishing there, they do not ever drain it dry.  I'll have to hit it in the spring and see what happens.  Toss a fat chub and beer can the line and wait.  fish on....
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:21 PM »
im noty calling any one out but from my entire life in the southern tier and growing up fishing (for the first cast i made) in red house, i have never even heard a rumor of pike in there, i called my cousin who worked the boat rental for summers while in college and he said he has neve heard such a thing about red house either. asked a couple other buddies of mine that have stopped in for there friday rounds before the bars, lol wife has me locked down tonight, and no one, not even a rumor, thats the only reason i question you. if you say you caught one though what can i say? im sure you know what a pike looks like and im sure you know what lake you were at, just odd no locals have heard of pike in red house?

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2006, 01:44 PM »
im noty calling any one out but from my entire life in the southern tier and growing up fishing (for the first cast i made) in red house, i have never even heard a rumor of pike in there, i called my cousin who worked the boat rental for summers while in college and he said he has neve heard such a thing about red house either. asked a couple other buddies of mine that have stopped in for there friday rounds before the bars, lol wife has me locked down tonight, and no one, not even a rumor, thats the only reason i question you. if you say you caught one though what can i say? im sure you know what a pike looks like and im sure you know what lake you were at, just odd no locals have heard of pike in red house?
I've caught em from that lake.  that's all I know.  One of the specimens that I caught exceeded 30 inches.  they are in there.  go out with some chubs and find out.  concentrate efforts near that island I mentioned.  Folks can deny all they want.  But when I get one on the end of my line in Red House Lake, it confirms that pike are in there.  Don't know what to tell you.  Pike are in there
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2006, 01:51 PM »
You know, its funny.  I have had the DEC call me out on a couple claims that I have made in the past.  Most recently was Paul McKeown, fisheries biologist for DEC - Region 9, in regards to my claims of tiger musky being in Cassadaga Lake.  So, I sent him the pictures. ;D

Believe me, Arch, if I tell you a fish swims in a certain lake, it swims in a certain lake.  I studied Marine Biology at University of Miami, and have fished many, many waterways across the fruited plain.  I can tell you waht kind of fish you have caught from a simple color description, spine count on dorsal fin, pore count on the lower jaw, whatever.  I make my remarks based on personal experience, not on what other people tell me.

Just so you know.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2006, 06:45 PM »
i am thinking about giving quaker a shot from what i understand it is a decent hike to get on the ice. If anyone could give me info regarding access and maybe even directions from cassadaga that would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips on catching fish there would be great. I just want to see some flags fly. Digging through hundreds of 4-6 inch perch in mayville for 5 or 6 decent keepers just aint doing it for me.  Thank You

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:04 PM »
i am thinking about giving quaker a shot from what i understand it is a decent hike to get on the ice. If anyone could give me info regarding access and maybe even directions from cassadaga that would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips on catching fish there would be great. I just want to see some flags fly. Digging through hundreds of 4-6 inch perch in mayville for 5 or 6 decent keepers just aint doing it for me.  Thank You

Hey Marcus

Send me an email, and I'll send you a map that I have provided for several folks already.  My email address is [email protected].  Its a jpg image with some areas highlighted.  Regarding how to get there from Cassadaga, take Rt 60 South to Jamestown and pick up I-86 East towards Binghamton.  Take this to exit 18 - Allegany State Park Quaker Run Area.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline hookedonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • is that the union hall
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2006, 04:08 AM »
park at the boat launch and you can be on the ice quick

Offline mikess

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:03 AM »
where is quaker?

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:24 AM »
park at the boat launch and you can be on the ice quick

hell park on the road and you can be on the ice quick? its only a max. 20 yard drag to get on the ice from anywhere you park :tipup:

quaker is in allegany state park in cattaraugus county :tipup:

Offline Gonly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Can anyone let me know how the ice is at Quaker. I live by the Buffalo SBH and it just doesn't want to freeze up enough to go on it. If I don't get some ice fishing in soon I am going to go nuts. I have every thing ready including keeping the minnows live in the garage now for two weeks. Help

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:24 AM »
CASSADAGA Now thats a body of water that goes unnoticed?? Fish that thrid lake near the humps anyone????
Been thinking of a exploratory mission there once things tighten up. Looks like nice acces right acroos from the boat launch???
Anyone out there???? Walleye, pike hybred, perch, panies??? Anyone thinking trip?
Love to see them pike pictures doc?? Saw the ones from you articles, no wall hangers.
I want to believe the trophy status, just looking for a photo?
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:06 AM »
CASSADAGA Now thats a body of water that goes unnoticed?? Fish that thrid lake near the humps anyone????
Been thinking of a exploratory mission there once things tighten up. Looks like nice acces right acroos from the boat launch???
Anyone out there???? Walleye, pike hybred, perch, panies??? Anyone thinking trip?
Love to see them pike pictures doc?? Saw the ones from you articles, no wall hangers.
I want to believe the trophy status, just looking for a photo?
I can certainly post up a couple pics, but I have to find them and scan them in first.  Cassadaga Lake.  You've come to the right guy for some insight.  Some whopper perch, crappie and walleye swim in those waters.  Top lake, near the hump in the middle off Jobs Corps beach is fantastic for big perch and crappie.  Walleye - best spot is south lake, off the point near Land's End Marina.  In terms of toothy buggers, the Lake is predominantly filled with Musky.  However, some solid Northern Pike and naturally occuring tigers also exist.  In fact, I do have a photo on my other computer of a 40" 15lb northern a former co-worker caught while he and I were bass fishing.  He had that one mounted.  The largest Northern I have taken from Quaker was @ 12lb.  (11# 12oz).  I do have to scan that one in.  I am hopeful the Lake will get hard at some point this year, as I need some more current pics. 

Here is a pic of a tiger musky from Cassadaga (link to it.)  There certainly are some whoppers in there.

http://www.weloveoutdoors.com/modules/view_photo.asp?id=276
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:09 PM »
and naturally occuring tigers also exist????????????????????????????????????/ ::)

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:22 PM »
and naturally occuring tigers also exist????????????????????????????????????/ ::)
Believe it or not.  Paul McKeown of the DEC gave me a call after the Lake Profile I did on Cassadaga Lake hit the stands, to clarify that the DEC doesn't stock Cassadaga with tigers.  He then said perhaps some are "naturally occurring" in that lake, which I guess if pike eggs get mixed with musky sperm, it can happen.  When I sent him a pic of a tiger, he acknowledged that they must exist in that lake.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #53 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:30 PM »
tigers are a hybred. naturally occuring is highly doubtful. possible yes but highly unlikely.might have something to do with breeding times. think we need bigredonice to get on this one.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:00 PM »
I am new to this area bought a house last feb. I was out fishing for crappie when i started catching these fish i didnt know what they were there is nothing like them in NH where i am from. I called DEC and spoke with mr mckeown and he said they do not  stock tigers but and they must be naturally reproducing somehow. I didnt think it was possible but with the number we caught this summer and last winter there is definately a healthy population.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #55 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:28 PM »
If there is multiple tigers showing up, someone MUST stocked them.  The chances of them occuring naturally are so low that multiples would definetly point to some kind of stocking, whether it was by the state or not.

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:59 PM »
If there is multiple tigers showing up, someone MUST stocked them.  The chances of them occuring naturally are so low that multiples would definetly point to some kind of stocking, whether it was by the state or not.
Well, if someone stocked them, it wasn't the state, according to State Fisheries Biologist Paul McKeown, Region 9.  However, these hybrids are not that difficult to "produce".  Mix Northern Pike eggs with musky sperm and, BAM, tiger musky.  Cassadaga Lakes are relatively small, and prime spawning habitat for Musky and Pike is therefore limited, and they do share the same spawning areas.  This could happen with more frequency in this small lake chain than in places like the Upper Niagara, where a larger area and more segregated breeding takes place.  No, the tigers are not reproducing, however, late-spawning northerns and early spawning musky will run into eachother in this lake and the end result is a "small" population of tiger musky.

The majority of toothy critters I have caught froim Cassadaga Lakes are muskellunge.  I have caught one northern pike myself, and a friend of mine caught a trophy northern a couple years ago.  I have caught perhaps 3 or 4 tigers.  But all three exist in this lake, I have the photographic proof, and submitted all the photos to Mr. McKeown of the DEC this past spring.

So, to recap.  If they were stocked, they were stocked illegally.  The tigers do not reproduce on their own, rather this is a "naturally" occurring hybrid due to the small size of the lake.  It can happen, and this was in as much confirmed by the DEC.  This is not an unprecedented occurrance.
Ol' Doctari
Member NYSOWA
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:54 PM »
these hybrids are not that difficult to "produce".  Mix Northern Pike eggs with musky sperm and, BAM, tiger musky.

Well, it might seem easy but when it comes to hybridizing in general, typically only 5% of the fertilized eggs will mature.  That really cuts the odds down significantly.  No one is doubting the validity of tigers in the lake...I am saying that they were most likely stocked illegally...something that is WAY more likely than a natural tiger population.

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:05 PM »
lots of armchair biologists out there decide that stocking their lake will be good for it.  Up until a few years ago I had never even heard of a northern pike in Honeoye, low and behold each year over the last few years a few monsters are caught.  Some people said they are coming in through the inlets etc.  Bottom line is big fish just started showing up and there are no year classes of other fish.  Interestingly enough conusus which is just a few miles down the road has lots of big northerns and in the spring when they spawn at the south end you can literally walk across the water because the northerns are stacked so heavily in there....my guess is that the northerns in honeoye came from conesus not by some underground spring, but by illegal stocking.  I agree bigred, illegal stocking is much more common than most of us think.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:07 PM »
illegal stocking is much more common than most of us think.

It really is...Guys around here do it constantly.  :%$#!:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.