The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Drill Plate.  (Read 12723 times)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Drill Plate.
« Reply #60 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:02 PM »
I agree that attitude can play a big part in any warranty. My rep has a video on his phone of my auger drilling ice. He flat out told me that it helps him sell the fuel drills because like he tells them "If this guy can drill a 7" hole through solid ice in freezing conditions with a Milwaukee fuel your (electricians, fitters, plumbers, millwrights, carpenters... pick any) should be able to accomplish any task in nearly any conditions as well." Make no doubt about it, I am ABUSING the heck out of this thing drilling large holes in often sub zero conditions. My guess is the transmission/gearing will fail first.... I just don't know when...

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #61 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I have been an electrician for 14yrs and have used EVERY MAJOR  manufacturer out there.  DeWalt drills rank last on the list of drills I will own again followed by  Ryobi, Craftsman then Rigid.  I have used the Makita and Bosch drills and they are comparable to the rest.  I currently own a Milluwakee 18v hammer drill  with red lithium batteries.  I have had times when using a 2" hole saw while cutting through wood the drill shuts down and needs a cool down before she cuts again.  I have also had drills smoke while using them drill a 1/4" hole into a block wall while on hammer drill.  I had a drill crack in half while using a 3/4" auger bit through a stud wall.  The reason I mention this is because I am using them for the INTENDED use of the drill not as an ice auger.   They were never designed to be ice augers.

If you have your heart set on using a cordless drill for an auger don't go to your big box store and buy a drill.  Go to a local plumbing/electrical supply store and buy your drill there.  It might cost you more but the drill you get will be a heavier duty drill than the big box store carries.  The gears will be metal the p lastic is a little thicker the.motors a little stronger etc.  I personally will use an ice auger to drill holes in ice.  I know i wouldn't use a toothbrush to paint my house cause it was lighter than a paintbrush.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Oct 15, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I have the Clam Plate with a 6 inch Mora and Milwaukee Fuel 18, great combo for early ice and ice up too 24 inches. I also have a Nils power auger that I use when the ice is thicker or I'm going out with a atv or driving. The Clam Plate is good for what it is ment for, it's not a do all auger. If you think about it it's really not any cheaper than a gas auger if you fiqure the cost of a good drill and batteries and the hassle of keeping the batteries warm.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Oct 15, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Its hard to deny that they work for augers... They work well enough that clam will probably sell a million dollars worth of drill plates in the next upcoming seasons. I probably push my equipment to the limit and I absolutely know it will fail at some point just like all machines will. I just cant help it, I love setting my auger in the back of my Voyager and knowing it wont leak gas or fail to start or burn a hole in something with the hot exhaust. I'm not changing plugs or buying gas and oil.... its light and efficient.... I guess it just works for me, and by the sounds of it there are several guys out there that feel the same way. :tipup:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:26 PM »
BaitBucket your my favorite guy on this site ;D ;D ;D!!! My favorite part is how you make all these comments about a product that you don't even own lol!!! Remember last year when you had the ION auger and it was sooo much better than the drill augers??? It was so much better you sold it!!! And what are you pimpin out now..... a drill auger!!!!! BWAAAAAHAAAAAA!!!! Guys like you make this site so entertaining!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Lol did you miss the part of the thread where i said i did own the clam plate? Tell me, have you tried your drill without the plate and just the side handle. You dont have to answer, i all ready know... Guys like you who flap their gums about something they have never tried cracks me up...

As for me saying the Ion was better than the drill setup, find the post and link it... Good luck..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

luv2fish2

« Reply #65 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:39 PM »
ok i got a real question mine came in today my auger will not hook directly to it do i need an extension ? do i need to order it ? looks good otherwise can't wait to try it anyone have any experience putting one of those "k" drill auger on a clam plate ?

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Oct 15, 2014, 06:12 PM »
This Baitbuket guy just never stops, what's the difference if a guy likes the plate or not it's personal choice. If I spend my money on something that I want that's my business. I don't need someone telling me my choice is worthless and his will work better. To each his own. I don't know about the rest of the members but I'm getting sick of these people that think they know everything about everything. I joined this site to learn and share ice fishing. Lots of good stuff on Ice Shanty and I have enjoyed reading most of the post. Sorry for venting but this guy is very annoying.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Oct 15, 2014, 06:41 PM »
The clam auger plate does a few things for you... 1) it eliminates any posiblity of losing your auger down the hole since you will be removing the chuck and replacing it with a adapter. 2) The adapter fits into a nice bearing assembly that transfers power smoothly to the auger. 3) It allows the operator much greater control when drilling. 4) It allows you to set the auger down on shallow water, slush and snow. IMO they are a must have and I believe they will help get maximum life from your drill motor.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great option.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:41 PM »
My 15 year old daughter probably said it best " Haters just need to hate!!!" That pretty much has summed him up in one quote..... From a 15 year old!!! Gentlemen on this site here is a quote from me "the clam auger plate is worth the money PERIOD" lol!!! love that Baitbucket!!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #69 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:33 PM »
http://youtu.be/31uDT8vRmhU

Seems a lot of stuff gets spouted on here. To me the video says a lot.........😱

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:43 PM »
I tried drilling holes with my 18v dewalt hammer drill/drill and although it cut through the ice very well, i guarentee it wouldn't last more than a season or 2 of hard drilling. The motor WILL burn up eventually. Especially if you start doing 3-4 holes at a time through 1-2 feet of ice.
That's why this year im getting the strikemaster honda lite auger!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #71 on: Oct 15, 2014, 11:48 PM »
I tried drilling holes with my 18v dewalt hammer drill/drill and although it cut through the ice very well, i guarentee it wouldn't last more than a season or 2 of hard drilling. The motor WILL burn up eventually. Especially if you start doing 3-4 holes at a time through 1-2 feet of ice.
That's why this year im getting the strikemaster honda lite auger!

I'll find out.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Oct 16, 2014, 07:40 AM »
will be interesting to see how many drills burn out from using them as augers over a couple of years. for those of you who have been using them as augers, how long have have you been doing so and aside from them shutting down to cool, any other issues?

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Oct 16, 2014, 07:45 AM »
This is my setup. 9lb 7oz
I have had no (read: zero) issues holding the drill with the t-handle.
(Image removed from quote.)
BB - what model drill is that? also, just curious, why the pool noodle ? 9.5 pounds plus 6# for the clam plate is pretty light.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Oct 16, 2014, 08:02 AM »
BB - what model drill is that? also, just curious, why the pool noodle ? 9.5 pounds plus 6# for the clam plate is pretty light.

Thats the rigid hammer drill. Call your local home depot, i got it on sale for $199, but it wasnt listed on the site as on sale. http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-X4-18-Volt-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Kit-R8611501K/202581836
I went with the rigid over the Fuel because of the lifetime warranty and that I use a 6in auger.

The reason for the pool noodle is just a simple backup incase the chuck comes loose and the bungee cord fails for some reason. If my auger does down the hole, it will float.

I don't need someone telling me my choice is worthless and his will work better. To each his own. I don't know about the rest of the members but I'm getting sick of these people that think they know everything about everything. I joined this site to learn and share ice fishing. Lots of good stuff on Ice Shanty and I have enjoyed reading most of the post. Sorry for venting but this guy is very annoying.

Lets get a few things straight. Fist of all, im probably the only one here that legitimately used this drill set up with and without the clam plate. I never once said not using the plate was better, I said i saw zero difference between the two. Thats the point im trying to get across here. People on here saying its worth the money didn't try it without the plate.. So how can they possibly know this?

Im sorry u find my tested information annoying, i suppose if someone told me i potentially wasted 50-60$ on something i didnt need i may find it annoying as well..

My 15 year old daughter probably said it best " Haters just need to hate!!!"

You should probably have asked her what that meant.. Im gunna hate on something I own? Since you love quotes so much "You Sir are a special kind of stupid".

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #75 on: Oct 16, 2014, 08:04 AM »
I got the ice master adapter on a Craftsmen 19.5 volt hammer drill with my 4" nils it eats ice up and never stops.
However on my 6" nils it over heats and stops intermittently after 2 consecutive holes.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Oct 16, 2014, 08:45 AM »
BaitBucket I have tried the drill without the plate. Used another guys and didn't like it, 2 much torque on the wrist for me. as I said in another post, the reason I went to the drill setup was because I had just gotten a pacemaker and couldn't use my Nils gas auger. Happy to say I can now use my Nils. Still plan to use the Milwaukee,Mora,Clam Plate setup for early ice. Sure you don't need the plate but $50 or $60 bucks isn't a lot to spend for something that really makes it easier to drill. You can get by with a low end Marcum or Vexilar, they work very well. I use a FLX 28 because that's what I like.  It's sad to see someone buy new equipment and post on here wanting to share with others about their new stuff and have to listen to people like you knock it down. I'm proud of my stuff and I could care less what you say about mine.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:00 AM »
  If there are fish that you cannot fit through a 6 inch hole you MUST tell me where you fish.

Amazed that more people don't get the appeal of a larger fishing hole. There are no fish that I imagine I will ever catch that I can't pull through a 6" hole. However, when it's 20 below zero (you must not see those temps where you fish) an 8" or 10" hole is invaluable to help curb re-freeze (I fish with tip ups a lot). Also, last year I was fishing through 36" of ice at one point. It's a lot harder to get a stubborn fish up a 6" hole because you lose fish when they hit the edge on the bottom of the hole. If it's 16" of ice, that is easy to deal with. 30+ inches is a different story. I'm nervous to just go from a 10" auger to an 8".
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

luv2fish2

« Reply #78 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:07 AM »
ok i got a real question mine came in today my auger will not hook directly to it do i need an extension ? do i need to order it ? looks good otherwise can't wait to try it anyone have any experience putting one of those "k" drill auger on a clam plate ?
          never mind i'll fiquire it out on my own guess i'll call clam hate this time of year on this site everyone's getting testy waitin on ice

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:10 AM »
          never mind i'll fiquire it out on my own guess i'll call clam hate this time of year on this site everyone's getting testy waitin on ice

Think you may be the first to attempt that combination...I did a search on IS ...and its very limited about the K drill in general

Hope that you will post you findings ...good luck .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:18 AM »
the k-drill is made to go in a drillchuck, I don't know if they make an adapter for it. You might have to come up with something on your own if you really want to use a clam plate with that auger. Probably be better to just get aother auger. At this time of year you can probably get a good deal on a used one.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #81 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:23 AM »
Amazed that more people don't get the appeal of a larger fishing hole. There are no fish that I imagine I will ever catch that I can't pull through a 6" hole. However, when it's 20 below zero (you must not see those temps where you fish) an 8" or 10" hole is invaluable to help curb re-freeze (I fish with tip ups a lot). Also, last year I was fishing through 36" of ice at one point. It's a lot harder to get a stubborn fish up a 6" hole because you lose fish when they hit the edge on the bottom of the hole. If it's 16" of ice, that is easy to deal with. 30+ inches is a different story. I'm nervous to just go from a 10" auger to an 8".

2X
There is a place for 8 and 10" augers I have both if I'm setting tipups I use the 8 for the most part.
We have a lake stocked with tiger musky I fish allot, now tell me you want to try turning a 40" fish with
razor teeth up a 6" hole. It will take so long the fish will be exhausted and die. Ice equipment is just like all other equipment there is a application for it or it would not have been invented.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Opinions are like elbows and AHs,  Every one has one, I worked 30 years to retire and buy myself nice toys, I bought a Plate, And I will enjoy it. I like my toys. I have a so called friend that when we go steelhead fishing, that tells me he could hook the same fish I did on a stick, putting my Centerpin setup down, Why spend the money,  Because I worked hard for it and deserve it. To each his own.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #83 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:44 AM »

Im sorry u find my tested information annoying, i suppose if someone told me i potentially wasted 50-60$ on something i didnt need i may find it annoying as well..

There's that
4-letter word - "NEED"  Not much to do with what drives the purchases of some fishermen and women.  It's the "WANT" word that drives those decisions.  And if I want something and can afford it, I'll have it.  If it doesn't work out, it'll go to someone that "NEEDS" something and I'll move on to the next "WANT".
I actually like your drill ideas.  Just I want and have the best - an IceGator!  :woot: :icefish:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:45 AM »
BaitBucket I have tried the drill without the plate.

U used the drill with the side handle, or just the drill?

Amazed that more people don't get the appeal of a larger fishing hole. There are no fish that I imagine I will ever catch that I can't pull through a 6" hole. However, when it's 20 below zero (you must not see those temps where you fish) an 8" or 10" hole is invaluable to help curb re-freeze (I fish with tip ups a lot)

We see those temps in New England. Hole covers are your friend. Not only do the keep the hole from shrinking, good ones keep it from freezing at all and you never have to clean the holes.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Oct 16, 2014, 12:16 PM »
This whole drill/auger is not a new idea... I tried it probably 12 yrs ago with a dewalt cordless 18v and a adapter that I had built by a machinist. The drill was severely under powered and would shut down, the nicad batteries could only get 3-5 holes per battery. I had the bungee strap to hold my auger on as well and yes Baitbucket I used the "drill handle" because there was no drill plate at that time. I deemed the setup unfeasible at that time for the type of fishing I was doing. Last season I decided to give it another try with the Milwaukee 18v brushed drill, so using the same adapter and the "drill handle" I was suprised how much better it worked, still not perfect but night and day better than the Dewalt I tried years earlier. I had been seeing several broken drills pictures (all brands) from using the "drill handle" on a ice auger. The clam plate had just come on the market, so I ordered one and decided to step up to the brushless Milwaukee fuel series as well. I don't use the drill handle anymore..... and never will again.... It's a great way to break the case on your drill!!! I really don't understand your HATE-ON for clams auger plate and I don't understand why you troll on those who buy them..... I seriously doubt you EVER owned one... :tipup:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #86 on: Oct 16, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I havent said anything bad about the clam plate. So im not sure where your getting this "hate" from. Maybe u should go back to your 15yr old daughter so she can explain to you the usage of the word.

Here are a couple of the perks i found not using the plate, and just using the drill with the side handle:
1 - Lighter
2 - More compact
3- Less expensive
4- Drill can be removed for normal use
5- Drill can be removed on the ice for drilling pop up anchors.
6- If the drill fails its easily removed for service/repair.

None of those are opinions, they are all facts. Use which ever method you want..

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Oct 17, 2014, 06:51 AM »
This is my setup. 9lb 7oz
I have had no (read: zero) issues holding the drill with the t-handle.
(Image removed from quote.)
doewhere the handle attatches to the drill, is it plastic to plastic? if so, in sub freezing weather above 0*(most likely, above 15*) is there a concern with the plastic becoming brittle and breaking? I'm liking your setup. ...and BTW, your points are valid.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:42 AM »
Here is a close up pic of the disc i used. The bigger one is just a puce of aluminum. The smaller white one is a piece of plastic from a coffee can lid. I use that as a washer between the aluminum plate and the pin so the they dont get caught up (metal on metal).

You could probably get away with just using a heavier plastic for the bigger disc. Like an old Frisbee or something.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #89 on: Oct 17, 2014, 08:48 AM »
You could probably get away with just using a heavier plastic for the bigger disc. Like an old Frisbee or something.

I first used a dollar store cake pan ...it worked ..almost lost my drill in the drink (reverse bad) during its first/initial test outing ...then I attempted to find a Frisbee in January ...imagine that ...went with a 5 gall pail lid cut it down some ...but I just placed both the cake pan and bucket lid mod on the auger drill unit shaft ...using the wing nut as the "safety stopper" ...I recently got the Clam plate .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.