The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Mora ice auger  (Read 6233 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Mora ice auger
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:22 PM »
Out drilled a power auger ( I have no idea what kind or size) yesterday through eight inches of ice. I was using an eight inch fin bore.

you  can   drill  faster  then  a  gas   for  a  hole  or  two  but  i  never  seen  anyone  cut   15  or  20  holes  faster  then i  can  with my  power  auger  oh   my  auger  never missed a  day  on  the  ice  because  of a  torn  roto  cuff  either !!!!

the   guy  bragging  he  gets  50  holes  to a  set  of  blades  ...i  fish  everyday  and  when  i'm  poking on the  run i  use a  5  inch  lazer  i  got  5  years  out  of a  set of  blades  and  i  bunch  over  20  to  30  holes a  day! 

my  suggestions  are  ......  put  the  guard  on  your  auger!   2nd  never  ever  let  anyone  else  use  your  auger!  .....3rd  i carry  a  gary  roach  blade  sharpener  and  swipe  it  on my  blades  a  couple  times  ever  outting ........grease  the  blades  when  you  hang  it  up  even  if   only  for a  week  or 2  .......and  everyone  is  right   spend  the  extra  cash  for swedish  blades .......

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:26 PM »
spend the money and get a Nils you wont be disappointed

+ 1

Offline adambellinger88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Get a strike master

JJ

« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:35 PM »
There is a reason they changed from the flat Mora blades to the curved Lazer ones; yes the Mora work but the Lazers are much more efficient.

Real men use an axe:

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:43 PM »
I like my 4" Mora Strikemaster, but now that it is discontinued, blades are going to get harder to find. I just bought a set of Swedish blades off of Ebay. In a couple of years I might have to get a 5" lazer.  :-\

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:04 AM »
I started out with a Mora. The moras cut but not nearly as fast as the Lazer.. Blades will last a long time if you take care of them china or sweeden.. I have a set of each Im on the china set now just had them sharpened ive already cut 70 holes with it easily in the past week.. The thing with the china blades is they arent sharpened properly or held to any shapening standard when made like the sweedish version.. Once you have someone sharpen them they are fine..

Folks who are going through blades after 1 or 2 outings are doing what i saw 2 people do yesterday.. When ice loads up on the bottom of the auger they bang it into the ice...I cringe everytime i see it happen.. Because thou arent just messing the blades up.. You are messing the angle of the drilling head that the blades bolt to...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Mines all messed up I drill on an angle.. My holes are almost sideways... But I can't afford to replace it... Thinking about getting the attachment for the power drill seems like the way to go

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Mines all messed up I drill on an angle.. My holes are almost sideways... But I can't afford to replace it... Thinking about getting the attachment for the power drill seems like the way to go
blades cost less than 10 bucks to have sharpened

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:11 PM »
The boys at 307 will do it right there at the counter for you. For the price of a 12 pack.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:28 PM »
This statement is bullcrap....       ....i have never used a lazer or any of the other kinds...

anyone see the problem here ???

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:31 PM »
LOL ;D
Gator Nation

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Auger wars! Next on Iceshanty.
Stay tuned as 2 men battle to the death using only a hand auger.
May the best auger win!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Auger wars! Next on Iceshanty.
Stay tuned as 2 men battle to the death using only a hand auger.
May the best auger win!

my buddies and I always joke about a possible newspaper headline "ice fisherman suffers horrible auger death"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:55 PM »
my buddies and I always joke about a possible newspaper headline "ice fisherman suffers horrible auger death"
"Suspect was arrested coming off the ice with 3 times his limit of pumpkin seeds. Apparently the victim had left them behind for the birds."

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2014, 03:57 PM »
When I got into ice fishing last year I bought an 8 inch Mora auger because that was the only one they had available.  It came with the chinese blades.  Yes, it cut horribly.  This summer I bought a shanty off Craigslist and it came with a 7 inch Mora auger with dull, chipped, and rusted blades.  I didn't even bother checking what kind of blades they were and whether or not they could be sharpened.  I went ahead and bought the Swedish blades and boy was I impressed with how well they cut.

I haven't used a Lazer before, but many guys I know along with most everyone here on the forums swear by it.  I could probably do better with a smaller auger, but I'm satisfied with the way the 7 inch one cuts.  I know I'm cutting less ice from the 7 to the 8 inch, but the new blades made such a huge difference.  Needless to say, I bring the 8 inch auger along for when my buddies go out with me and want to venture away from the group.  They can use that one.

JJ

« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2014, 04:11 PM »
anyone see the problem here ???

Noticed that, bit my tongue.  ;D

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Have had both.. like my lazer best
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 13, 2014, 05:19 PM »
blades cost less than 10 bucks to have sharpened
deadsmelthead where do you have them sharpened for 10 bucks. I need mine sharpened but havent found anything that cheap. sharpening charges are getting close to buying new blades. My brother has it figured out, wait for bass pro to clear out the ice fishing stuff and buy a new auger for 25
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:15 PM »
deadsmelthead where do you have them sharpened for 10 bucks. I need mine sharpened but havent found anything that cheap. sharpening charges are getting close to buying new blades. My brother has it figured out, wait for bass pro to clear out the ice fishing stuff and buy a new auger for 25
Site sponsor does if for less than 10 I believe... I found a guy locally that charges 6 and 3 other guys locally that charge about the same.... Google blade sharpening services in your area.. Anyone who sharpens saw blades and things of that nature should be willing to sharpen them... It literally takes 5 minutes... So whoever told you sharpening is almost as much as new blades is full of it... New blades are what $45 ? Now ?

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:22 PM »
When I got into ice fishing last year I bought an 8 inch Mora auger because that was the only one they had available.  It came with the chinese blades.  Yes, it cut horribly.  This summer I bought a shanty off Craigslist and it came with a 7 inch Mora auger with dull, chipped, and rusted blades.  I didn't even bother checking what kind of blades they were and whether or not they could be sharpened.  I went ahead and bought the Swedish blades and boy was I impressed with how well they cut.

I haven't used a Lazer before, but many guys I know along with most everyone here on the forums swear by it.  I could probably do better with a smaller auger, but I'm satisfied with the way the 7 inch one cuts.  I know I'm cutting less ice from the 7 to the 8 inch, but the new blades made such a huge difference.  Needless to say, I bring the 8 inch auger along for when my buddies go out with me and want to venture away from the group.  They can use that one.

Moras used to come out of the box with regular steel blades.. They would last about 1 outing.. They if you realized this you went out and bought a stainless steel set..Before even going out.LOL.. I never understood why they did that...

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Moras used to come out of the box with regular steel blades.. They would last about 1 outing.. They if you realized this you went out and bought a stainless steel set..Before even going out.LOL.. I never understood why they did that...

It's all about cutting costs and giving the finger to their customers.  It's brilliant actually.  They get you to buy their products twice!

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:33 PM »
My neighbor is getting older and  not ice fishing much, if at all and gave me 2 augers. One is a strike master that I put resharpened blades on and seems to work well. The other is a spoon shape probably 5". Looks really old. Haven't used it yet but I'll have to throw it in the truck and try it out.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2014, 01:27 PM »

It sounds like you have 1 blade cutting better than the other. Try shimming the duller blade.

Shimming instructions on Facebook:               ice auger sharpening
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Do not get a mora. U will spend more on blades the first yr than u spent on the auger

Bull.... I have a 5" mora that is bullet proof. I DID have to get new blades, because the ones that come with it are chinese... but so are the blades on the lazer. After I put swedish blades on it, I've drilled at least 300-400 holes with that one set of blades. Still razor sharp and cuts like a hot knife though butter. I bought the auger for $30 off sportsmans guide, then the blades I bought came off ebay for $20. So for $50 I can outdrill the 6" lazer auger that is in my garage with ease.

It won't get much use now that I bought a gas auger, but its still in my sled for a backup.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:21 PM »
I think it depends on where ur mora was made, some r made in Switzerland, which are the good ones. (The blades) some are not.
If you can, i would say buy a Finbore. All made in Switzerland.

This is just what i have been told, so no need to attack me if you feel i am wrong ;D

Swedish.. Mora of Sweden.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Y'all can praise Mora all you want.
Fact is, they've been blown out of the water. Literally.
I'll never touch one again nor use a gas auger with the augers I currently use.
And Trapper... One of these days I'll be on Oneida to take that challenge. Fill that old gas hog and we'll see who has more holes when your auger runs out of gas.  :flex:

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:46 PM »
I went from a 7" Mora to a 6" Lazer this season and I don't know if it's the smaller size or the different design or both, but the Lazer cuts faster with a lot less effort than the Mora.  Both augers had the Sweedish blades.

Nate

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Its the smaller hole. Now go to a 5" mora and you'll never touch the 6" lazer again. That's what I did.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 16, 2014, 01:18 AM »
i have a 6" mora and then bought a 7" lazor since the store didn't have a 6" at the time. the 7 cuts better than the 6. I'll never use the mora again. plain and simple
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Then your blades on the mora are shot.  ;D Its not plain and simple. Going from a 6" to a 7" is not enough to off-set the easiness of drilling with a lazer vs a mora. Something was wrong with your mora.  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.