The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Icing a Walleye  (Read 3520 times)

Offline barch7

• IceShanty Rookie
  • gulkanariver
Re: Icing a Walleye
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:28 PM »
We always catch some walleyes at Chappel Bay on the Kinzua arm of the Allegheny Reservoir.  We use emerald shiners on a tip-up, fished about a foot off the bottom.  Most are caught during the last hour of daylight.

Offline FGS III

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:21 AM »
wow!! great posts with a lot of useful information.  I've never iced a walleye before, but now I feel a lot more confident.  The only thing I need now is some ice on my local lakes here in southeast pa...lol!!

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Pymy's eyes love blade baits fished clean, second choice is a size 3 or 4 swedish pimple w/ a minnow head.

X2 on the blade baits, never used the pimple. Tightlines
Ron

Offline FishSandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2014, 10:55 PM »
Catch any walleyes yet Slabdaddy?

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Any one wanna give up wut kind of leaders are used in these sets?
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline frost

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:49 PM »
I just use 6lb flouro leader on my tip ups for eyes.

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:41 PM »
I use 8 lb. mono for the tip ups, haven'seen a need at glendale for flourcarbon, water always has color to it.
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:13 AM »
I use 8 lb. mono for the tip ups, haven'seen a need at glendale for flourcarbon, water always has color to it.

I use the same or my seagar 12 lb flour, but has about 6 lb diam.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Thanx for the ideas fellas...I like steel for pike, or toothy critter.and flouro-ice for whatever else.good luck.

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Thanx for the ideas fellas...I like steel for pike, or toothy critter.and flouro-ice for whatever else.good luck.

I know it may be tough to try it. But I have use 30 and 50lb flouro for pike successfully no problems. Only bugger is tying knot on the 50. You would be much better off getting crimps and making your own like they sell in the magazines with the 50lb.  And i believe you could pull double duty(gloweyes n pike) if kept I the 30 lb range.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline FishSandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I make 80lb Floro leaders out of Seager Red Label and use the Polomar Knot no problem.  I put whatever I am tying to into the vise then go to town. Make sure you wet the knot when you tie it to minimize heat. Then for extra protection ill put a dab of superglue on the knot and I will cut the tag line and leave a 1/4' to heat up and bubble tip with a lighter. No way its going to pull out.

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:45 AM »
I use both mono and fluro from 6-10lb. I prefer fluro as it straightens out better in the cold especially coming off the tipup spool.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:08 AM »
I make 80lb Floro leaders out of Seager Red Label and use the Polomar Knot no problem.  I put whatever I am tying to into the vise then go to town. Make sure you wet the knot when you tie it to minimize heat. Then for extra protection ill put a dab of superglue on the knot and I will cut the tag line and leave a 1/4' to heat up and bubble tip with a lighter. No way its going to pull out.

Same here. No need for the duper glue as the polomar knot is 100% breaking strength.A crimp will fail before a polomar

Check out knot wars on you tube.

Great info here guys. Keep it coming I am also looking to ice my first walleye this year.

Offline SlabDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Weigh It and Fillet It
« Reply #43 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Well, I managed to ice one walleye so far. Unfortunately it was only 14" so I had to throw it back. Nevertheless, it was my first ice walleye! I was fishing for perch with a 4mm jig and a waxie. lol. I'm heading out this weekend and targeting eyes, so I'll have to try out some of the tips that you guys offered. There is a lot of great information here and I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Got my first of the season this past weekend. She was 26 1/2 in, 16 1/2in girth.what a thrill, jig gin'.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.