The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: SPOOLED TWICE LAST SEASON!!  (Read 2371 times)

JHM

SPOOLED TWICE LAST SEASON!!
« on: Dec 09, 2005, 02:00 PM »
Have any of you been spooled on a trap?? I had it happen twice last season fishing with heritage traps full.Fishing pike water I know it wasnt an otter.

JHM
                                       maybe this year I wont miss.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SPOOLED TWICE LAST SEASON!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 05:30 PM »
Not yet, but maybe this year.  Did they break off?
  I've had a few that were just burning the line off when I got there... that'll get the adreneline flowing!   :thumbsup:
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2005, 05:34 PM »
Jim C. and I both got spooled when we fished Marannacook together, last year.
Scott Wright

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:31 PM »
Darn close anyway, Scott.  Your day started out that way and mine ended that way.  Both tore off most of our spools and then dropped the bait.  Wierd, but happened a lot last year...especially mid-season.  Hope I can get out with you and your boys again.  Will keep you posted.

Jim C. and I both got spooled when we fished Marannacook together, last year.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:45 PM »
happens to me all the time fishing togue. many times i get there and no line left with the trap against the ice! sucks when its -10 and you got to reel it all back on. worth it if its a biggun'!!

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:37 PM »
Week before Sebago Tourney two years ago I had a fish run my 150 yards out, line as tight as a piano string.  I'd gain 10 yards and he would take it right back.  20 minute fight or so, flourocarbon leader broke.  I assumed it was a big togue...pretty exciting, disappointed the leader broke....heavy poundage.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2005, 07:00 AM »
Week before Sebago Tourney two years ago I had a fish run my 150 yards out, line as tight as a piano string.  I'd gain 10 yards and he would take it right back.  20 minute fight or so, flourocarbon leader broke.  I assumed it was a big togue...pretty exciting, disappointed the leader broke....heavy poundage.
Hoppes

THAT'S why I want to try to fish Sebago more!  :D   Not really sure where to go though, I tried Jordan cove one time last year and got skunked.

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2005, 08:35 AM »
Darn close anyway, Scott.  Your day started out that way and mine ended that way.  Both tore off most of our spools and then dropped the bait.  Wierd, but happened a lot last year...especially mid-season.  Hope I can get out with you and your boys again.  Will keep you posted.

Sounds good to me, Jim!!  ;D
Scott Wright

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2005, 11:46 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D can't wait...might have a crew up there...any date in mind????
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2005, 12:35 PM »
Ive had it happen once in my life. It took out all the line off of my HL trap and then dropped the bait. It was very weird but i'm gonna get him this year. ;D

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2005, 12:40 PM »
We got spolled a couple times last year...both pike fishin....tipups spread out and LOTS of em....never got spooled fightin a fish though...that must have been somethin Hop  :woot:

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:13 PM »
It was Hood...... had plenty of company, big fish, probably one of those monster togue.  Wish I could have nailed (and kept) him during the tourney.  Nothing like a new boat motor and trailer to brighten up your day!  I've had salmon run my line out on West Grand.  Watch the spool go and go and go and near the end try and set the hook (usually I let them stop and swap the bait before I set the hook but if they run forever, it's really not possible.  Oh well, adds to the excitement
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2005, 09:18 PM »
dont use floro. for leaders. ive lost several large togue because my 20lb. floro. leader broke at the knot and i wasnt horsing em' either. my 2 cents.

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:44 AM »
I've only had it happen once.  I caught a 4.5 pound smallmouth and the flag never went up.  I went to clean the ice out of the holes and the only thing holding the fish on was my knot on the spool.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Ihad it happen once i was fishing in 190 fow had a 12 inch dead sucker on for bait i like to step on them first and get blood and guts hanging out of them be fore i hook them.On one of the coldest windy days i ever fished on my furthest trap out i get a flagby the time i get there just to see the last of the line spool off and the spool ripped right off the tip up . now i use bolts on all my heritage laker tip ups. i may have to start using piano wire. must have been a huge laker 20 to30 lbers commonly caught in this spot . my personal best is just a 15 lb 32 in caught last season.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:33 PM »
Ihad it happen once i was fishing in 190 fow had a 12 inch dead sucker on for bait i like to step on them first and get blood and guts hanging out of them be fore i hook them.On one of the coldest windy days i ever fished on my furthest trap out i get a flagby the time i get there just to see the last of the line spool off and the spool ripped right off the tip up . now i use bolts on all my heritage laker tip ups. i may have to start using piano wire. must have been a huge laker 20 to30 lbers commonly caught in this spot . my personal best is just a 15 lb 32 in caught last season.

Sounder, do you use a slider-sinker rig when you fish like that so the fish won't feel the weight?

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:25 PM »
T. H. if i could let it float to those depths naturally i would. but what i do is this i use 2 number6 trebles in tandem between the hooks i put 3 medium sized split shot the secret is weave the hooks and the weight in the bait using 12 inch or better suckers enables you to do this . the bottom line is when the fish takes the bait he fells a heavy meal and not dragging a weighted line . my friends grandfather in northern Quebec does this and thats where we learned it from.  If you have any tips you would like to share all knowledge isaccepted.

Offline icefishmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:44 PM »
 It happened to me twice last year. once on east grand. it was my farthest trap out and by the time i got out there all the line was gone and i pulled up a mangled smelt. it also happened to me on moosehead last year.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:11 AM »
Too soon to tell right now.  Maranacook had some ice yesterday, but only for maybe 300-400 yards off the boat ramp in Winthrop. The water I like to fish was still wide open.  I'll be watching it closely!

Jim C.

;D ;D ;D ;D can't wait...might have a crew up there...any date in mind????

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.