Author Topic: Leesburg gravel pit  (Read 8683 times)

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Leesburg gravel pit
« Reply #60 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Dylan, I think you made a mistake, with pics backing up your claims, your spot will be packed by tomorrow morning  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: Nice lookin gills

Offline Dylan-ICEFISHING

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 30, 2013, 01:24 PM »
It's alright. No one knows my true hot spot.
Nothing beats ice fishing.. And a good ole dodge cummins!!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2013, 02:38 PM »
It's alright. No one knows my true hot spot.
I bet those hawgs just sit there and wait for you too ::)

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Saw these boys fishing over at the gravel pit,  looked like they did OK

http://a.espncdn.com/winnercomm/outdoors/i/p2-sutton-kids-bluegill400-300.jpg

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:44 PM »

The kid pullin the wagon is Dylan!
Fish On'

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:17 PM »

Man those Canadians are tough fellows.  Ice fishing in short sleeves.  Wow.  Forget about pulling a sled, a wagon is what we need.

Offline Kamodude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:49 PM »
I fished the pit back when you needed a signed permit from Grandpa Brown... like 1973....
We did get 11.5 and a few true 12's back in the day,Then I lost my wallet with my permit and didnt know that you can fish it now!!!!
I may go try for some!!!!!!
I did get an 8 lb bass there also was 27.5 inches long and a few 18-19 inch crappie!!!!
SORRY NO PICTURES.....We did not have cell phones then and never carried a camera....

Offline Dylan-ICEFISHING

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Told u guys

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Told u guys
That was back in the 70's. Maybe they don't teach math in school anymore?? Kids these days.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Told u guys

I live in warsaw. haha I ice fish the leesburg gravel pit pond. oh my god. biggest gills ive ever seen. pound and a half gills one after another 13+ inchers

Haha I never did think to take any pictures. U catch so many of them one after another.. If anyone wants to go out there with us this season hit me up 5745515410. No bull crap whatsoever. They go from ur finger tips to half way down ur arm!!

Leesburg Indiana gravel pit.. a million percent guarantee it holds the biggest bluegills ull ever see in ur life.

Hey, chapman lake nellies bay is safe. Leesburg gravel pit is full of 12-13 inch gills and jumbo perch and crappie. That has 5" of solid ice. If u wanna know how to get there Call me 5745515410

I've been fishing the pit for 14 years. I have a HOT spot. It drops from 16 ft to 32. I'm not telling anyone exactly where it's at unless u go with me. Most people think 10 inchers are the biggest in there. I saw a guy catch a 14" outa there last season and he said he was getting it mounted. If u guys wanna continue and crack stupid jokes and comments go ahead and do so. But I know what I have been catching for the 14+ years I've been fishing there

There's certainly been a lot told alright. But still no proof of 13 inchers one after another.

reminds me of this......

nrthrn IN fishr

IceShanty Rookie

Re: cant wait to get back to the gravel pits
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:29 AM »

no my fav is the one in south bend  thy got a 3 and hlf pound gill 2 yrs back and ive got so many 16 inch 2 to 2hlf lbs gills and its like tht almst every cast  night crawler no sinker and every once in a blue moon the crappie come out one will cover the whole bottm of a 5 gallon bucket    i really cant wait   but this place made me dislike bass i caught   so many  both of my thumbs are so raw by the time i leave  ive fished this pit for 10 yrs now and like i tell my buddys   when thy take me there good holes lol  and only take 2 dozen crawlers  haha  after 2 or 3 hours of caughtin lil dink nibblers im like let go get 6 dozen crawlers 4 u and 8 dozen for me  there  like y  im like ur goin to see and wthin 3hrs  thy r out standin arnd tryn to get someone to bring more lol

Offline miamimiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:57 AM »
What Dylan forgot to tell the 1700 people who have read this is theres only room for about 6 cars to park.I've fished here many years and know the owners.Yes you can park more in Leesburg but its one hell of a walk.The road parking is a hike to,if ya come get here early since our little loud mouth friend here has decided to tell everyone in the midwest about it,and pack light cuz the hike in and out isn't for the old dogs.And Dylan when you get your camera see if you can get a deal on some duct tape or maybe a muzzle.Tight lines boys. ;D

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:07 PM »
i heard some amish guys, in shipshy, talking about a bus load going there this week!
got grease?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:11 PM »
I'm coming to clean that lake out and I don't even like fishing for gills! Too much of a good thing is a good thing! :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :woot:
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:53 PM »
I'm coming to clean that lake out and I don't even like fishing for gills! Too much of a good thing is a good thing! :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :woot:

LOL...the one time I saw you fish for gills you pulled a legit 10"er out of the hole on adams lake!!!! 

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:11 PM »
"I've been fishing the pit for 14 years"

So what was it like out there when you where 2 years old ? Did you not say you were 16 ?

I was looking forward to going out there for the first time after a co worker told me about last year after season. Now I don't see the point with the busses coming, so thanks  >:(

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:12 PM »
LOL...the one time I saw you fish for gills you pulled a legit 10"er out of the hole on adams lake!!!!
Luck!

As a kid My family would hit the strip pits in the Green Sullivan forest area and would dismantle the gills and redear! My dad was kind enough to show me how to fillet. I got good at it and all of a sudden it was my job and he was sitting at the campfire drinking Scotch and water. I bloodied my knuckles a bunch those years cleaning big gills and ear's. I still enjoy it, just not on the ice! ;)

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:24 PM »
I'm not sure how this topic is helping or benefitting anyone but I will admit,, its rather entertaining!

Offline Dylan-ICEFISHING

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:32 PM »
I have been fishing the pit since I was 2. My dad has taken me there for 14 years I would not rather fish anywhere else then there

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:36 PM »
I have been fishing the pit since I was 2. My dad has taken me there for 14 years I would not rather fish anywhere else then there
Expand your horizons son....Fish swim outside of the Leesburgh gravel pit....good ones at that!

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:37 PM »

Sounds like you better start looking for a new spot . The way you keep talking up this place before long there will be so many guys out there you will not be able to even set your bucket down with out setting it on someones foot .

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:35 PM »

I can appreciate that. A productive spot, one that holds memories for you, and is pretty close to home to boot..... hard to pass that up.

Offline Dylan-ICEFISHING

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Thank you. I'm not trying to start anything. I was just posting the honest to gods truth. I'm a Christian man I go to church every Sunday and Wednesday I can. I would never lie about a fish.. I mean head the big deal here? I was posting for YOUR benefit on me sharing such a good spot. Come on.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:59 PM »
I believe there's a big difference between a lie, and an incorrect, but still honest misrepresentation.  The end result may be the same, but the motive is altogether different.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Idk, im gonna need to see that on a measuring tape...
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:01 AM »
Hey Dylan nice fish in the pics. Not sure why you would want to broadcast your good bite and giving the name of the small lake you catch good gills on no none else on here will even breath were any good fishing bites are just read the posts, I know I wouldn't broadcast it on here. Your young you will learn when to and where to keep your mouth shut about certain things excpessially on here you ll have everyone and their brother out there, then wonder why the bite will turn to nothing or just a few...........Age gives wisdom.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #85 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:57 AM »
i hope your spot is private access, for your sake young man. this thread is a good lesson for you in the future on public waters. no need to lie just dont tell locations. nothing wrong with that, most understand. i know of a couple places that have been wiped out by lazy low skilled angling lurkers, on here and other sites. most people dont have the integral fortitude to be trusted with such info.

you find as you grow older that true honest people are rare. they also come in all forms.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #86 on: Jan 01, 2014, 11:56 AM »
i hope your spot is private access, for your sake young man. this thread is a good lesson for you in the future on public waters. no need to lie just dont tell locations. nothing wrong with that, most understand. i know of a couple places that have been wiped out by lazy low skilled angling lurkers, on here and other sites. most people dont have the integral fortitude to be trusted with such info.

you find as you grow older that true honest people are rare. they also come in all forms.

Well said....He will certainly have crowds there (already 20 guys there on a weeknight when Bret went) and if there are 10" gills in there and guys catch them they will tell others and then more will come.  Your biggest worry isn't really the ice fishermen, but those that bed fish.  You can bet they will be back (assuming you can put a canoe, boat or kayak on there) when the spawn is on and THEY WILL remove every fish they can find and catch.  If the Amish find out about this place (and they will), your honey hole will be no more after 1 or 2 spawning years.

Offline slabaugh91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:06 PM »
I fish there once in a while as well. From what I heard u r not allowed to fish there summers unless u fish off of the bank. Had friends that tried putting in a small boat but they got told by owners they can't do that n if they get caught again they won't be allowed to fish it again.

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 01, 2014, 04:05 PM »
watch out everyone.....I just figured out who Dylan might be........the DEVIL himself.....LOL

http://www.ghostsofamerica.com/4/Indiana_Leesburg_ghost_sightings.html

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Just saw on the weather map that Leesburg has the coldest recorded temps in In. right now Minus 13, we have a balming temp of minus 12. To all you guys who are catching all those 13 inch gills, good for you. LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.