Author Topic: Indian Lake?  (Read 8789 times)

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Indian Lake?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:43 AM »
LAKE CONDITIONS TODAY
1:15 January 19, 2014

THE SUN IS SHINING WITH SOME CLOUDS. WE HAVE ABOUT 1.5" OF SNOW WITH A LEVEL 1 SNOW WARNING. ICE ON THE MAIN LAKE HAS MANY VARIATIONS IN THE THICKNESS FROM NONE TO 4". LOOK FOR OPEN AREAS ALONG THE SHORELINE WHERE HOMEOWNERS RUN AEREATORS. GEESE CONGREGATE IN THESE OPEN AREAS. AIR TEMPERATURE IS 23 DEGREES.WIND IS FROM THE SOUTHWEST AT 5 MPH. VISIBILITY IS 10 MILES. BAROMETER IS 29.78. THE LAKE IS ABOVE NORMAL POOL ( THE TOP OF THE SPILLWAY).

http://indianlake.com/forecast.htm

-most of the channels & backwaters have much thicker Ice, but vary --you should know your way around IL or go with someone who does...

The slam-bite was on the end of Nov & Dec, but has slowed alot since then... try to pick a non-flow channel for a better bite  :)
Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step...

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:46 PM »
fyi from a email ~ Flow vs Non-Flow channels...

Flow channels have  current, thinner Ice, lower bottom temps & usually poorer Vis...

Non-Flow channels have no current, thicker Ice, 39 degree bottom temp & good vis ~ however shallow channels can have a oxy problem after a long Ice cover period...
Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step...

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I just made some info posts on a local IL board because of email req & thought I'd add them to this msg board...

Posted on January 28, 2014 at 10:19:54 AM by BMH

Maximum depth:

-there is a 16' hole off the center of south bank, in the middle of the dredge slot.
-there ia a 17' hole off west bank just south/west of restroom hump in the dredge slot.
-a couple of years ago when NF trap was cleaned there "was" a 17' spot.

-most of the "deeper" miles and miles of dredge slots are 8-12' deep which vary w/age.
-many miles of channel & shoreline dredge slots are 6-8' deep.
-all the silt traps vary w/use between cleanings & many seldom get used/fished @ out of the way locations...

Re: favorite electronics for Ice-fishin'...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:01 AM »

...is a old Magellan 12 channel handheld GPS from the year 2000.

I have a huge database on the 'puter that is updated every softwater season w/new 'pull plots & then pull GPS numbers off the 'puter to the Magellan for hardwater Ice-in'.

If you have good mother nature skills & GPS plots you will score...

-here's what the main lake is all about & the time I spend locating...

-Quote-

"In some saugeye lakes experiencing high siltation due to agricultural run-off, a 6-inch taper in a hundred yards might be all it takes to focus fish movement across a 4- or 5-foot-deep basin with 8 inches of ice cover. Hard to believe? Believe it. To a 4- or 5-inch tall fish, a 6-inch difference in depth may be more significant than we realize, especially in such shallow water. Think cattle grazing across the plains, following the bottom of a gentle gully, and you're on the right track"

-plenty more on the above subject...
http://www.in-fisherman.com/walleye_...SaugeyeSecret/

Specific Info ~ here's one from four years ago that I posted on WC, that still applies...

Moundwood state area/ramps is on the SE side of the old Indian Lake area ~ it is a known smelt hole/silt trap , but it is located on the South Fork of the GMR which means the ice is at the mercy of the flow rate. The dredge slot/break at Crannberry can be good at times for anything that swims in Indian. Watch out for thin ice at all the bridges as they are all good but have the poorest ice or none with a flow.

The NE wildlife/Bear Wallow area pads & channels are probably the best for Gills n' Crappie with a S-Eye now & then. The Northfork of the GMR also produces when the flow & water quality is good.

I only fish with my best friend "gps" after dark on main lake breaks when I decide to give it a shot

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline jbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:56 AM »
any reports on indian lake on jan. 29 ?

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:10 AM »
I didn't go out on the main while we had the zero weather--

I was on the main lake breaks last night off SP/Cherokee & did well w/a slow limit of Saugeye in 2-2.5 hrs. When the bite is hot it is nearly one after the other & cull, when you have the Saugeye located... I worked mostly Twin1 hump after giving Twin2 hump a short check-

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:25 AM »
BTW - the Saugeye were home on the hump break edges between 4.3' to 5.5' deep

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Tip:

Location for the active Saugeye is much more important than what you use. IL has had Ice cover for a long period of time this year, so the backwater leaf dump areas have much lower oxy content than the start of the season, along w/snow cover - IMHO, 'think main lake breaks away from the weekend warriors...

In Jan the main lake side of the Island channel mouths were very good & now the larger active schools of Saugeye are located on the main lake breaks...

da old fart...
Ray

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:37 AM »
-a close friend just told me that he got a quick limit of over 17"ers off the SE tip of Hermit isle on the 45 hump break last night...

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline hoosier_drew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:05 AM »
I'm looking to head out on Saturday to Indian Lake.  What are some good public spots to park to walk out from?  Any reports about the ice around where the north fork enters the lake?  Not looking for someone's honey hole just some general safe areas.

Last question.... bait shops selling shiners?

Thanks!

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:54 PM »
IL has 6 state areas to park and unload you sleds/4-wheelers on the South & West sides of the main lake to run to the breaks. As a ex-basser I only use lures for Saugeye.

da old fart

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Also I forgot about Chippewa state marina on the Northside -dang, I even have a waterfront home there  ;D

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline hoosier_drew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Some late season Ice Info that I sent to a non-laker friend-

What I call the low-oxy backwater areas -Dunns pond-Moundwood/Richards Isle area-NF area-Bear Wallow area-A-bay area-Big V area-Blackhawk area & Cranberry.  Also,the old Northside ski area & old IL (other than the deep area just south of dream bridge) are poor.

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Lake is Muddy and on the Rise...
Posted on February 21, 2014 at 09:05:02 AM by BMH

The lake came up to the top of my neighbors seawall last night. I don't know if there is Ice under the very muddy water, but it sure is a krappy mess! The sewage system is backed up & overflowing onto the road, besides my pot not flushing...

-Yeppers a flood at IL...  >:(

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Re(1): Lake has dropped 2"es...
Posted on February 22, 2014 at 01:26:18 PM by BMH

-since yesterday afternoon. Also, half the main lake was covered in water yesterday morn' & the Ice has re-floated by noon today ~ be careful cuz all that water drained though cracks---

T/G ~ my pot flushes A-OK today!  ;D

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:26 AM »
The end of the safe Ice season--

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Re(4): Lake conditions
IP: 98.30.84.40
Posted on March 16, 2014 at 09:41:06 PM by BMH

I drove around the lake today & she looks to be 3/4 open water w/whitecaps... (plenty of water going over the dam w/the tree still on it)

LAKE CONDITIONS TODAY
9:30 March 14, 2014

THE ICE IS SHRINKING AND BABY GEESE ARE LEARNING TO SWIM IN THE OPEN WATER AREAS. THE AIR TEMPERATURE IS 39 DEGREES. WIND IS 6 MPH FROM THE SOUTHWEST. VISIBILITY IS 10 MILES. BAROMETER IS 29.88. THERE ARE NOW MANY OPEN AREAS ALONG THE SHORELINE WHERE HOMEOWNERS RUN AERATORS. GEESE CONGREGATE IN THESE OPEN AREAS.

THE LAKE IS ABOVE NORMAL POOL ( THE TOP OF THE SPILLWAY).

http://indianlake.com/forecast.htm

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:11 PM »
We had two good weeks of Ice fishing various Northside docks w/a slam-bite for P-fish & a few Saugeye.

T'was a great start on the new season w/more to come   @)

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.