Author Topic: Chesterfield???  (Read 5364 times)

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Chesterfield???
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:50 PM »
i would, but i've got work  :-\

ice season came early for once and i'm stuck inside painting walls during the week. :P

Well that doesn't sound like fun at all  :-\ maybe next time I might try to get out this Saturday as well.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Six inches of good ice this morning, with a dusting of snow.  Six or seven groups fishing.  Fished 8:00 - 10:00 before we caught the last nice keeper and called it an early day.  Plenty of fish cruising.  Steady bite all morning.  Water is very low.  It was nice to drive around the shore right to our selected fishing spot and walk a few yards onto the ice and start drilling holes.  Playing with the Aqua-Vu Plus DVR was a BLAST.  Only about half dinks.  A very good day.

PM me for fish sizes, count, and other details.

Worth a trip before the Holidays, I think.  We'll get back at least once before Christmas.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Are you able to drive onto the shoreline from the west side there?  How far up the lake can a person drive along the shore?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Yes, at least some (see image).  I don't know how far but I would guess quite a distance, depending on whether you're willing/able to drive around the bay.   It will be tougher as the snow builds up, and I don't know that I would try it if the ground were thawed out.  YMMV.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:50 PM »
How deep was the water where you were fishing ? Boy that lake looks low .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Yes, very it is very low.  When the reservoir is full, the depth at that spot is over 20 feet.  We fished in 4 - 7 ft. of water.  There was plenty of deeper water available, but that's not my thing.

Offline JMill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Anyone from Pocatello, or passing through Pocatello, headed to Chesterfield tomorrow?  I would be up for hooking up and splitting fuel.  And should be able to fish sun up to sun down.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Too bad I'm busy this week otherwise I would go for sure.

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:22 AM »
Plan to be there most of next week.  Any recent reports and tips?  Or something in the Poky area doing better?
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2013, 02:19 AM »
We fished it Saturday was a little slow all day but we did catch fish, ice was a foot thick 4 wheelers out on the ice The time before we fished right out from the boat ramp and did real well. Anything tipped with worm or a very small amount of orange power bait seemed to work

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:34 PM »
i need to get down there. How far from jackson wy?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:19 PM »
We fished it Saturday was a little slow all day but we did catch fish, ice was a foot thick 4 wheelers out on the ice The time before we fished right out from the boat ramp and did real well. Anything tipped with worm or a very small amount of orange power bait seemed to work

WOW already a foot thick  :o that's awesome. I was also tipping with crawler when I was there at the end of Nov. Worked great
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:35 PM »
i need to get down there. How far from jackson wy?

125 miles - http://goo.gl/maps/5PHgb
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:21 PM »
gonna try to hit chesterfield with a bunch of newbies on the 28th, any word on road and weather conditions down there?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:41 AM »
Took my 17 yr old daughter yesterday (yes she wanted to go).  We met two friends and made a new one (hi, Scott).  Didn't measure the ice, it's about a foot thick and in great shape, with 4" of snow on it and good traction.  The four of us fished from about 7:30 to 3:00.  The bite was light but fairly steady until about 10:00.  From then until we left it was pretty slow, with brief flurries of activity.  Our friends each caught and kept a fish in the 2-3 pound range.  We caught and kept three smaller fish, sub 2 pounders that had been in there long enough to get yummy, probably spring planters.  One of our buddies had a monster on for about 10 minutes before losing him at the hole (lost his knot--had that tell-tale squiggle at the end of his line).  We must have released over a dozen dinks.  Cruisers on the underwater camera were very sparse.

panfishman13, the roads were OK.  Thanks to the plow, on the way home, the road from Lava to the railroad crossing had a lot of dry pavement.  From there to the reservoir the road was reasonable broken snow floor.  From the last pavement up to the dam it was drifting a tiny bit, but there wasn't enough snow to make a problem there, as in 2WD passenger car no problem.  At the res we found about 4" of snow that didn't keep us from driving on the shore to where we wanted to fish.

The weather outlook for next weekend looks good, with nothing between now and then that should mess up your travel.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:83217.1.99999

With the slow down since early ice, our next outings will be elsewhere.  Living within 90 minutes of 30 irrigation impoundments is a pretty good deal.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2013, 05:43 PM »
thanks a ton, i won't be able to haul all 8 of us out there, and i'm the only one of my friends with access to a truck.

the knot tends to be a common failing point for those bigger fish, we caught a 3 pounder last year that had 3 different jigs and a plain hook stuck in his jaw, none of them had any trailing line though.

what kind of bait were they hitting on?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:06 PM »
The best bait of the day was piece of night crawler with kernel of corn, the old standby.  None of the other stuff we tried did much good.  Two bites all day on dark jigs tipped with mealworm.  Good luck!  We'll watch for your report.

x2 on the knot comment.  Everyone should use fresh line and a Palomar or Trilene knot, IMO.

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Rough morning out there for us over by the dam. Came in short bursts every couple hours, only kept four of any size with a couple dozen dinks put back. Threw a lil of everything at them, but as others noted, worms were the heavy hitter. Finally packed it in around noon when the nephews were good and frozen.

Offline jcsns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:42 PM »
How's fishing at chesterfield and how thick is the ice?

Offline idahohunter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Ice was about 16", about 4" of snow on top. Holes covered by snow were not froze, one of our party stepped into one. Only fished for about 3 hrs, iced 5 fish, two on jaw jackers. We caught them on crawlers and wax worms, didn't get even a bite on meal worms. The bites were really light for chesterfield for us. Only one hit hard. All fish were caught dead sticking. Had 6 bites that we didn't get to the poles in time. Had to leave to go watch football!
On the ice again, just can't wait to get on the ice again, the life I love is catching fish with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the ice again. "kinda Willie Nelson"

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:59 PM »
any change in ice conditions? it's been pretty warm recently...

Offline marilee84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:44 AM »
I'm heading up there on Saturday and I can't wait. It will be my first trip of the season. I will report back with conditions and hopefully some good news about all the fish we catch!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:10 AM »
went out to chesterfield yesterday, missed a LOT of fish, we probably only landed 7 out of 20 hookups, one of which was VERY big, but due to an inexperienced angler it was lost at the hole (pro tip: don't hold the line tight and expect the fish to stay hooked)

spotty action all day, fish averaged about 13" hitting on orange and/or chartreuse jigs tipped with a worm, waxworm, or powerbait. worms were the biggest producer.

ice was extremely solid, over 16" of the good stuff. about 3" of snow on top, very little wind.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Also fished it today.  Very light bite, missed a dozen or so, hooked up on around 10, most were small.  Brought home our limit, but only 2 were over 20 inches.  Could not seem to dial in on what they were wanting, I had a little of everything out, most just hit on a small jig head tipped with night crawler and a piece of powerbait crappie nugget or similar.  We were fishing near where the road makes the hard turn to the west from 8 fow out to 14 fow.  Was a little dissapointed, was really wanting to have a steady action day since it is such a long trip down there for us.  Debating on whether to give it another shot next week.

Offline idahohunter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 26, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Fished Chesterfield today, with Carbondraw and bw15084 and another buddy. We iced around 12, three of them were keeper size (20" or 20"+). Carbondraw and bw15084 caught the big ones. Probably missed around 12 also. The ice was around 19-20". Great day lots of sun  @) and hardly any "W"! Even threw the football around when it got slow.
On the ice again, just can't wait to get on the ice again, the life I love is catching fish with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the ice again. "kinda Willie Nelson"

Offline marilee84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:01 AM »
We went up last Sat and had a blast but only caught 2 both on Powerbait. The weather was beautiful and no wind. The ice was very thick. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.