New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827743 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2220 on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:02 PM »
That's a big one....   :o
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline obrien380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2221 on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:05 PM »
So yesterday was the "Failure On Ice" so couldnt see a point in driving back down today so chores it is. Outside bring in wood watching the pond and its crazy how fast the water is coming up stay safe out there everyone

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2222 on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Out of Chapman this morning. Ice is pretty crappy...a lot of cracks...some with open water. Did not fish long....with the wind did not want to have to figure out a way to get off the ice if the cracks open up....live to fish another day. We lost at least 2 inches of ice from the other day. Be careful....conditions are changing rapidly...lets hope the anticipated cold snap near the end of the month will tighten the lake back up. Stay Safe!!!   

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2223 on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:50 PM »
By the way VERY cool to see about an hour ago wish I had my good camera.  Bald eagle was hanging out.  I know most have seen them on big bay but I haven't seen one on the east end before...

I thought I saw one when I looked out earlier....

Loads and loads of White Perch out there this morning .... 10' thick at times....

A hundred open holes out there and people had to use a gas auger 10 yards behind me.... So stupid....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline IceFishBaby

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fish baby
« Reply #2224 on: Jan 12, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Going to make my first trip to Oneida this year with my dad hopefully conditions are good.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #2225 on: Jan 12, 2014, 02:18 PM »
fished chapman again.....ice was not bad at all......lost an inch or so and there are some enlarged holes that could swallow a small guy or a kid.....real easy to see though.....sleds and wheelers out also.....the crack in front is crossable with a little hunting......most of the water on top is gone.....fishing was just ok....14 perch....marked a ton of fish that were mostly dinks......big perch were mixed in with the small fish, just had to weed em out.....gotta get the lake firmed back up so I can get out to my middle season spots....although walking is doing this old farts body some good ;)....

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2226 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:13 PM »
Hoping to hit the ice this coming weekend.  The temps this coming week look a little sketchy, but hopefully they dip down and tighten the ice up!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2227 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I thought I saw one when I looked out earlier....

Yes you did.  Bald eagle circling above south bay out to the main channel then over to sylvan & Verona and back.  Hung out watching me for an hour or so.  Bad az to see.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2228 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:26 PM »

RTXGUY  that snowy is a juvenile they home base at the airport during the winter until about march and head back to stake their claim so i was told , watched and got a few pics when was working on the expansion , very cool looking bird , there is a few at the airport right now

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2229 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I just got off 1/2 hr ago.  95% of water gone, the rest is hardening up, corkers scratching ice chips whole walk in.  Weather guy is nuts temps 32 wind chill is single digits or worse

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2230 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Oneida Lake is putting on a great show this year, Great fishing, Bald Eagles and Snowy Owls! All I need is good conditions for the sled...  Thanks for sharing everybody.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Guppiekilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2231 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Fishing was awful today nothing like yesterday. checking tip downs wind tipped over my hut minnows flopping all over. Limited on perch yesterday 26' of water today same area 7 perch. They seemed glued to the bottom . Only one school seemed interested. when I got home and cleaned my huge pile of 7 I noticed their bellies where full of what looked like shrimp or something.

Offline Tough Luck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2232 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:16 PM »
we only got 8 perch and 2 eyes today was a tough bite for us

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2233 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Well now, if Murph 20 wants to call that fish a LING, then he is correct in doing so. Cterp, you are mistaken, BURBOT, LING, LAWYER, MARIAH and GUDGEN, same fish, just different names for different bodies of water. Canandaigua Lake, they have always been called "Gudgen" They are a fresh water cod, or should I state that they belong to the cod family, ugly, yes, good eating YES.    JTP
You forgot LOTA LOTA  ;) ;D

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2234 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Fishing was awful today nothing like yesterday. checking tip downs wind tipped over my hut minnows flopping all over. Limited on perch yesterday 26' of water today same area 7 perch. They seemed glued to the bottom . Only one school seemed interested. when I got home and cleaned my huge pile of 7 I noticed their bellies where full of what looked like shrimp or something.
probobly mayfly larvea......all the perch I've cleaned this year are loaded with em

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2235 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:48 PM »
I got a late start today an decided to walk . Fished north shore and got out to about 22' and set up looking for perch. Bite was real slow, but did find some walleyes to commit. Landed 6 keepers , but much smaller fish than yesterday.Wind was terrible and the shanty flapping beat me up...but it was fun. Kept 3 and released 3....no perch for me. :'(

I started about 12:30 and fished until 3:30 and like Bcons said, the wet spots from noon were almost all froze over. No issues crossing cracks and shoreline was fine... lack of snow on shore was a pain dragging.
Good luck to everyone.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2236 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:51 PM »
the perch were glued to the bottom today....very non aggressive....changed to small stuff with plastics and coaxed some slobs to commit.....sometimes ya gotta change the plan in mid stream....

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2237 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:53 PM »
I got a late start today an decided to walk . Fished north shore and got out to about 22' and set up looking for perch. Bite was real slow, but did find some walleyes to commit. Landed 6 keepers , but much smaller fish than yesterday.Wind was terrible and the shanty flapping beat me up...but it was fun. Kept 3 and released 3....no perch for me. :'(

gotta swap spots with you choo choo......doin great with the jumbos but no eyes....lets trade ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2238 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Sounds like a plan!!
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Baitrix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2239 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Where should we go to catch white perch ????

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2240 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:04 PM »
east end....edgewater...... sylvan beach....lewis point....north bay

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2241 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I've been doing real well with the mayfly imitations. Not just on the perch glued to the bottom but with hesitant walleyes and even a smallie.

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2242 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Nice to fish with you again Bruce! HT... good to finally meet you in person. I went 0-2 on the eyes Saturday. I definitely struggled. Hope the ice tightens back up for this weekend.  @)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2243 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:20 PM »
  on the deep water debate, I fished mud last 2 trips, no structure, unless I get over 50 perch, theres no worry about them dieing....there coming home, as for eyes, I'm not targeting them ..... there just a bicatch in the mud.  26 fow haven't seen a air bladder in there throats last 2 trips, later out deeper, yeah it happens, but by then usually don't get many over your limit  to release most days. Mid winter doldrums, "Ice Expert" uh no!!!  learning every day bro, what makes my world turn.., didn't have the pleasure of growing up on Oneida.... Cayuga lake trout and salmon expert or salmon river salmon and steelhead, yeah probably, 35 yrs plus experience...
Hey Snagger, did you know the old timer down there in the Grady White named Ole Swede?  I used to troll for trout and salmon down there all the time up until about 15 - 20 years ago before discovering the joys of Seneca Perch fishing.  He invited us into his house one day and showed us all kinds of tips.  He even gave us a couple of his favorite lures, a Nils master and an AC Shiner.  Don't know what happened to the Nils but I still have the AC Shiner - must be 30 years old.  I'm pretty sure Ole Swede passed away, his name was Juke Johnson.  He was very kind to us back then as young kids trying to learn a fishery.  There was no internet back then, to be able to talk to an old timer back then was priceless.  What a difference now.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2244 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Nice to fish with you again Bruce! HT... good to finally meet you in person. I went 0-2 on the eyes Saturday. I definitely struggled. Hope the ice tightens back up for this weekend.  @)
yes sir ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2245 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:34 PM »

I started about 12:30 and fished until 3:30 and like Bcons said, the wet spots from noon were almost all froze over. No issues crossing cracks and shoreline was fine... lack of snow on shore was a pain dragging.
Good luck to everyone.
great job on the eyes choo choo  ;) the perch are out there some place ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2246 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:59 PM »
Edgewater is loaded with them go to 23 feet
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2247 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:07 PM »
RTXGUY  that snowy is a juvenile they home base at the airport during the winter until about march and head back to stake their claim so i was told , watched and got a few pics when was working on the expansion , very cool looking bird , there is a few at the airport right now

My fishing partner works out at the airport and he see's them all the time.  Says there are usually half-dozen or so there, perched on the buildings and fences.  I was just suprised to see one in the middle of the lake standing on the ice.  He circled when we got close, then landed again.  Must have found something to dine on.

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #2248 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:12 PM »
the holes were starting to open up but ice was ok.went off taft did ok.17nice perch and 7 eyes.just good to get out.
the bone

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2249 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Anyone at Taft Bay today see the idiot crawling around on the ice dragging his sled.... That was me I left my creepers at home but was bound and determined to fish.  Wound up crawling around like a moron it was so slick and windy out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.