Author Topic: What to use for rainbow trout?  (Read 8783 times)

Offline arley/pa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish
Re: What to use for rainbow trout?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:59 PM »
I've been catching a lot of trout on the GULP white maggots. I have no idea why but rainbows gobble 'em up. Sometimes before I hit the bottom.Maybe science has something to do with it.
You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.

Offline Grnmtn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2005, 07:50 AM »
I like yellow power bait balled up on a small hook with a small spilt shot on a tip up. Minnows work well. Trick with any trout species is setting up the scent cone to draw them in.

Jigging I like marabou jigs with a little crystal flash tighed in an some kind of meat to make the scent cone. broken minnow that sprinkles a bit of scales in the water. piece of walker you got the idea.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2005, 10:16 AM »
hey tried it again today and had about 5 hits in 15 minutes castmasters jigged about 1-2' off of the bottom also i use minnows, powerbait, and smalljigs tipped with waxies and get the slab crappie at the same time with that one.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2005, 12:59 PM »
Shrimp and 1 Balls-O-Fire is a favorite up here, if I'm fishing where there's landlocked salmon I use cooked cocktail shrimp and 1 egg, for lakes with rainbows n  char, raw hrimp and 1 egg or roe by itself.  You can use the shrimp/egg on a single hook or tip your favorite jig with it.  I use worms too but have not had the same success and a jig tipped with a strip of salmon skin is killer most days.

-Grizz

Offline Slowbago01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:47 PM »
Do trout eggs work like salmon eggs?  They seem to be about the same size.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.