The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Noxon Reservoir Walleye - public comment period  (Read 9547 times)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Noxon Reservoir Walleye - public comment period
« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2013, 10:09 AM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but....

This issue goes beyond our state...the fact that Walleye have made it into the Columbia River Drainage is really what is being fought here.  "The lower Clark Fork River and Lake Pend Oreille ecosystem is currently the subject of an intensive bull trout recovery project with numerous participating partners including Avista Utilities, Idaho Fish and Game, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, Pennsylvania Power and Light (PPL) Montana, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service.", does this sound familiar???

Good luck with your efforts, although my feeling is that you don't have much of a chance to change this course of action.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Sent my email last week, hope it helps.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2013, 04:53 PM »
I'm a die hard fly fisherman I fish for walleye all the time with my flyrod so watch ur tongue when talking about all flyFisherman. I hope Ur referring 2 all the yuppy out of staters that come in just for the world class trout fishing I would way rather catch walleye on Flyrod then the speckled carp. N I bag the differ that thier r hardly any walleye between helena n great falls we have no problem going out and slamming the walleye just the other day we were on hauser by York an tore up the walleye. So u must not be able 2 find them.

If you're referring to me to me, I grew up fly fishing. I have no problem with it. What I have a problem with is most of them looking down their nose at others for keeping fish or not fly fishing themselves. It's not always out of staters, actually most out of staters I meet are friendly. It's the in staters that think their better than everyone that piss me off.   Go float the bighorn in an aluminum tin can boat and spin fish and see how many dirty looks you get.    Also the info on walleye I mentioned came straight from Walleyes forever. The limits went up to eradicate the walleye from those waters to "protect" the trout.

So I won't watch my tongue, I do have my own opinion and I don't care what you do.
So have fun and good for you

Offline GFIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Interesting thread. Everybody I have talked to about this is in full support. Get rid of them! We dont need walleye in EVERY body of water in Montana. Especially when they were illegally introduced.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2013, 08:34 PM »
your kidding right, that area of the state has literally NO WALLEYE.

Offline GFIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:29 PM »
And? If I go to Sidney I will struggle to find a place to catch a trout. In Central  MT it will be tough to find a place to catch bass.  I can see why people are upset by this. But they were illegally introduced. If something isn't done Noxon will be the next Canyon Ferry.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:14 PM »
Lots of trout in the Yellowstone by Sidney.  In the missouri too.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:26 PM »
And? If I go to Sidney I will struggle to find a place to catch a trout. In Central  MT it will be tough to find a place to catch bass.  I can see why people are upset by this. But they were illegally introduced. If something isn't done Noxon will be the next Canyon Ferry.
They've been there for over 20 years, if they were going to blow up and destroy like so many people seem to think they will it would have happened already, walleye destroying canyon ferry is speculation

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #38 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:58 PM »
Such a challenge to catch trout ANYWHERE in Montnana....

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2013, 01:57 AM »
Interesting thread. Everybody I have talked to about this is in full support. Get rid of them! We dont need walleye in EVERY body of water in Montana. Especially when they were illegally introduced.

That's a fairly short drive from Great Falls to CF/ Frances/ Tiber/ Fresno and even Nelson for walleyes.  Most if not everyone you talk to is surrounded by walleye populated waters. Pretty easy to say "get rid of them" while sitting in your shoes. Just needed to point that out.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:21 AM »

What r u talking about I fish canyon ferry hard every year trout n walleye last year we had literally 100 fish days on trout with our flyrods then when it got towards dark switch 2 fishing for walleye n hammer the eyes we even where hammering the eyes with our flyrods so i dont lnow where u r getting ur information on fish in CF but ur dead wrong. there r tons of fish in canyon ferry just need 2 know where 2 look. Here in about a week it's going 2 be ball 2 the walls trout fishing when the ice comes off.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Such a challenge to catch trout ANYWHERE in Montnana....
[/quot

Really I was just at York bridge with 3 buddies n we pounded the trout 50 fatties. on flyrods I might add. Then went 2 devils elbow the next day n slammed at least 30-40 the next day . So I hope ur joking with this comment.
Luv2strip

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #42 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:01 AM »
yes, was sarcasm;)

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:30 AM »
yes, was sarcasm;)

Awesome good 2 here.
Luv2strip

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 15, 2013, 11:50 AM »
It would be great if we had a canyon ferry around here.  I don't understand why that would be a bad thing.  Awesome trout fishery, awesome walleye fishery, I don't understand the argument that people are upset catching walleye instead of only trout.  You have to be a pretty poor fisherman not to catch fish at this lake.  I know i'm only one person, but I can't believe I'm the only one catching as many trout as I do there.   I drag the same equipement around the lake all day and can't keep either species off.  Equal numbers of trout and walleye.  I'm talking hundreds of fish a weekend.  Why is that bad?

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2013, 12:08 PM »
I would like to point out that I do not condone bucket biology and would instantly turn someone in if I knew who was doing it.  There comes a point though when you should leave things alone.  Why now, why try and do something after establishing a population.  They should have been in there trying in the beginning when they first discovered them in there.  They are now an established species that people are starting to target.  I don't believe the argument that they are crowding the trout out.  At this point I think they are becoming a popular target fish for this lake and someone who is a trout only fisherman got his buddies and started complaining because they may actually catch a walleye by mistake.  God forbid they catch something other than a trout with their flyrod.  Don't think I'm bashing fly fishing because I do it myself, usually take both poles and outfish everyone around me, it's just the look down your nose "natural fisherman" who I can't stand.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 15, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Here's an update.  FWP is holding an informal public meeting on the 19th @ the Thompson Falls fire house on HWY 200 from 4-7 PM.  I think the reason for this "quicky" is that they failed to follow proper protocol prior to unveiling their master plan of walleye eradication.  Here's our final opportunity to put their feet to the fire before the comment deadline.

Here's an interesting fact:  The milfoil weeds in Noxon will ultimately reduce the oxygen levels within the reservoir causing all sport fish species to crash.  Why are we spending millions to kill the walleyes when the milfoil will do it for free?  Perhaps FWP should re-examine their priorities and spend our tax dollars on milfoil eradication.  Just and FYI.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 15, 2013, 02:18 PM »
Here's an update.  FWP is holding an informal public meeting on the 19th @ the Thompson Falls fire house on HWY 200 from 4-7 PM.  I think the reason for this "quicky" is that they failed to follow proper protocol prior to unveiling their master plan of walleye eradication.  Here's our final opportunity to put their feet to the fire before the comment deadline.

Here's an interesting fact:  The milfoil weeds in Noxon will ultimately reduce the oxygen levels within the reservoir causing all sport fish species to crash.  Why are we spending millions to kill the walleyes when the milfoil will do it for free?  Perhaps FWP should re-examine their priorities and spend our tax dollars on milfoil eradication.  Just and FYI.

Any of you going to this?

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 15, 2013, 02:42 PM »
I'll be there and I know of several individuals who plan on attending as well.  Hope others who read this forum join in the fray. 

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 15, 2013, 02:48 PM »
I'll be there and I know of several individuals who plan on attending as well.  Hope others who read this forum join in the fray. 

When will you be there and how do I find you guys once I get there?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:44 PM »

Where, may I ask, did you come up with that nugget of wisdom?  If the water exchange rate is 10 days there has to be a pretty good stream running into the reservoir, which means the oxygen levels will not be a problem as fresh water will  be added continuously.

ClearCreek

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 15, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Milfoil isn't desired   but it isn't killing FT Peck ::)

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #52 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:26 AM »
There is a contingent from Kalispell carpooling down...meeting at Mark Weed Auto at 1:30.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Mar 17, 2013, 01:12 PM »
There is a contingent from Kalispell carpooling down...meeting at Mark Weed Auto at 1:30.

Can you PM me your cell? I'll try and meet up with you guys once I get to the Fire House.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #54 on: Mar 17, 2013, 02:15 PM »
any room for another contingent?
wish you many hook-ups

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:46 AM »
What r u talking about I fish canyon ferry hard every year trout n walleye last year we had literally 100 fish days on trout with our flyrods then when it got towards dark switch 2 fishing for walleye n hammer the eyes we even where hammering the eyes with our flyrods so i dont lnow where u r getting ur information on fish in CF but ur dead wrong. there r tons of fish in canyon ferry just need 2 know where 2 look. Here in about a week it's going 2 be ball 2 the walls trout fishing when the ice comes off.

I just read where F&G can't plant fingerlings in CF anymore - the walleye just munch them. Now they stock the larger fish which are more expensive. I'm sure they also have to stock more so these things do amount to throwing money down the drain.

I'd support walleyes in western MT if they wouldn't eventually end up in every lake over there. Unfortunately if you support one illegally introduced fishery it will only encourage more. I'm afraid that with the ranting lunatics of WU constantly sounding off on the issue it will happen anyway. Yeah, that is a shot at them... don't move to Montana if you don't like it the way it is. Redneck  wolf hippies they appear to be. MT is supposedly trout central -- somewhat true in upper Missouri and Yellowstone -- but in the Flathead/Clark Fork just about every species of coldwater/warmwater fish has been introduced and still people come into the area from elsewhere and think they can improve it with a bucket of their favorite fish. People need to learn to enjoy what we already have instead of indulging their selfish impulses. Sooner or later one of these selfish illegal introductions will have extremely long lasting negative impacts. Selfish, selfish selfish piled on top of the arrogance that they know something we all don't. We already have a great thing going in MT. Let's keep it, OK?

Flame away... I probably won't answer.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #56 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:17 AM »
    Oh yeah, Walleye can and do strike flys

I'd certainly believe it.
I don't fly fish; but during the October and November full moons I fish walleyes exclusively with TOPWATER LURES
Like many fishing situations; there's a techique to it and once you learn it, it can be deadly successful.
Probably my favorite hook ups of the entire year are when big walleyes strike topwater; like how you would expect a bass or musky to do.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #57 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:15 PM »
I just read where F&G can't plant fingerlings in CF anymore - the walleye just munch them. Now they stock the larger fish which are more expensive. I'm sure they also have to stock more so these things do amount to throwing money down the drain.

I'd support walleyes in western MT if they wouldn't eventually end up in every lake over there. Unfortunately if you support one illegally introduced fishery it will only encourage more. I'm afraid that with the ranting lunatics of WU constantly sounding off on the issue it will happen anyway. Yeah, that is a shot at them... don't move to Montana if you don't like it the way it is. Redneck  wolf hippies they appear to be. MT is supposedly trout central -- somewhat true in upper Missouri and Yellowstone -- but in the Flathead/Clark Fork just about every species of coldwater/warmwater fish has been introduced and still people come into the area from elsewhere and think they can improve it with a bucket of their favorite fish. People need to learn to enjoy what we already have instead of indulging their selfish impulses. Sooner or later one of these selfish illegal introductions will have extremely long lasting negative impacts. Selfish, selfish selfish piled on top of the arrogance that they know something we all don't. We already have a great thing going in MT. Let's keep it, OK?

Flame away... I probably won't answer.

No flame brother but just my observation from fishing the Upper Missouri Chain of reservoirs.  If I REALLY REALLY want to catch a trout (like when I have friends or kids with me) I tie on a rainbow trout colored Rapala.  Doesn't matter the size, shape, or depth it fishes I will always catch trout on it.  I (personally) have never caught a walleye on a rainbow trout colored Rapala but have caught them on other colors in the same spread.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I have other friends with the same experience.

Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Also consider all the bait-fisherman targeting trout....with their own spawn for bait, or the fly guys throwing egg patterns, I do believe the rainbow trout is its own worst enemy. We also can't rule out the pelicans and cormorants, or ling for that matter. Its just so easy to blame the walleye for everything.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #59 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:14 PM »

cormorants are the mascot bird of Satan himself  :%$#!:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.