New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: i tried to be nice  (Read 3249 times)

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: i tried to be nice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:27 AM »
What were they driving ill call them out on it if I ever see them (I'm local)

Fishmon

« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:18 AM »
At least you can feel good about what you attempted to do.   ;)  In the meantime, don't worry about it and use the wit and wisdom of Johnny Carson (Karnak the Magnificient) to cast the following  pox upon their wretched bodies - "May the fleas of 1000 camels nest in your armpits!"

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:25 AM »
well you did a good thing at least, cant help that people don't know how to appreciate being helped and pay somebody back.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Yeah,someone stole my gas can a couple years ago. They ran out of gas down the road,and came to my house. I won`t do that again...
Master Laker taker.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:07 PM »
This past fall I was on my annual deer hunting trip with my brothers and we were in the local Price Chopper picking up supplies.  I guess that day the electronic food stamp system was down statewide, (which was also posted at each register).  Anyway, standing in line, an elderly gentleman in front of me was checking out with his week's supply of food -- he hadn't noticed that the system was down and tried to pay with his food stamp card -- could not -- the cashier told him the system was down and he had to pay with cash, check or credit card -- he didn't have any, and they went back and forth -- I could see he was beginning to get upset and had no other options -- anyway, to make a long story short, I told the cashier I would take care of his tab and to let him have his groceries -- I wished him an early Happy Thanksgiving and he left very appreciative...  Your $20 gas loan/donation was a way of 'paying it forward' and even if you don't get reimbursed, maybe someday those young guys (remembering your generosity), will 'pay it forward' when the opportunity arises...!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Pay it forward Mike, pay it forward. I see a 7# bass in the near future for you!!

onebucket, you and tom just show me where those 7 pounders are and i will be a happy man.

thanks everyone for the good advice. paying it forward is the best way to look at it.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Way way back in the day my grandpa was a butcher and he gave out a lot of credit cuz times were tough and some of those people never paid him back. Then one day long after he retired a check came in the mail to my grandpa and it was the money one of em was finally paying back. My aunt told me grandpa cryed like a baby when that happened.
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Way way back in the day my grandpa was a butcher and he gave out a lot of credit cuz times were tough and some of those people never paid him back. Then one day long after he retired a check came in the mail to my grandpa and it was the money one of em was finally paying back. My aunt told me grandpa cryed like a baby when that happened.

great story

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Altruism is a 4 syllable word, has that ever been done before on Ice Shanty?
Hey...a mod (who shall remain nameless) used the word monosyllabic the other day. I was impressed ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:14 PM »
onebucket, you and tom just show me where those 7 pounders are and i will be a happy man.

thanks everyone for the good advice. paying it forward is the best way to look at it.

Hopefuly we'll show you where in a pic with a lure hanging out of their mouths. But my money is on you showing us!!  And maybe I can borrow a couple bucks next time we meet??    Cya.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:07 AM »
...Random acts of kindness need no reasons. Just help when and if you can....

RG
RG has got it right.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:12 AM »
got out on the hardwater for the first time of the season on MLK day. went to Loon lake. was the first one there. while i was fishing, i met a couple of nice high school kids that were on the ice next to me. super nice. they got lost getting from Geneva to Loon Lake. by the time they found the lake, they had no gas left in their truck and no money to get home. i offered them $20 cash and they took it and were very thankful. they said they would mail me money, but i am yet to see it. i guess i fell for that one. i still havent given up hope though

well  if  they  scamed  you  then  they scamed  you ...you did  the  right thing ,if  they  really were in trouble  and  for what ever reason haven't  mailed you the money ,i'm sure  they learned a  good lession on helping others and will in deed  help someone else

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Hey keuka, can I borrow $20?  ;)

Offline fitcon19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:03 PM »
 keep paying it forward!!!!

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:14 PM »
I tow people in to the marina on Sandy Pond a couple times a year. They usually offer cash and I tell'em to pay it forward.

So last year my brother and I broke down in his boat....and the nice folks that towed us in refused the cash and told us to pay it forward.

That's some good sh1t  ;)

Yer a good man Charlie Brown. Don't sweat that $20...it'll all work out in the end.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:17 PM »
thanks. i've always been a giving person. i dont expect favors in return. i like being able to help someone out.

Offline btpgb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:15 PM »
I was stuck once on Tug Hill with my truck and some guys pulled me out and wouldn't take any money. Now if I see someone that needs help I wouldn't take any money from them and just wish them good luck.

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:04 AM »
You'll probably never see the money... BUT someday, somewhere those kids will run into someone that needs twenty bucks.  They will remember the generosity and give to someone else...  What is worth more, the $20 or the kindness to others?

Offline OGGYDOGGY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Sorry but they probably had a few beers on your money, im just saying kids can be very convincing. I would have wanted to see the gas gauge. I hope your decision was right though.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 05, 2013, 12:12 PM »
My opinion is that if you are that worried about it, DON'T offer it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.