Author Topic: WEST GTG DETAILS  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
Re: WEST GTG DETAILS
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Where it's Mobridge?

Offline Wkndbum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Where it's Mobridge?

Mobridge, SD, Lake Oahe.

New Walleye limits up there, 8 per day (4 must be under 15") 24 possession.  I've been up twice this season, fishing is great.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2013, 10:25 PM »
 :%$#!: weather.  Man the ten day sure doesnt look good.  Fished today on les than a foot.of.ice. just about stepped in a spring hole today.  Lots.of puddles on the ice. Looking back at tip ups    just didnt look in the puddle i just about walked into. Ice made.funny crunching sound and i stopped.  One more step id have taken a bath.  Shallow lakes one will need to use extreme caution.  Hope iceon merrit holds out for the gtg

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:22 AM »
I agree with h2o, it doesn't look good. Boardman on Merritt should hold. Hopefully John can keep you updated. We fished Merritt on Friday from Beeds to Cable Hill on the Snake. By 4pm the ice on the Snake was dark and cutting chunky.  It was time to go. Boardman was still good that evening.

Doubt if any of the VNW Refuge lakes have fishable ice after the next few days. We fished Pelican on Saturday. By evening ice cut chunky and was starting to ride low in the water. That's when it gets very dangerous. Might have 8" and get out fine in the morning, but as the sun warms it up the ice honeycombs and is not stable. With lower spring flows this winter these lakes appear completely ice covered and safe conditions. From what I saw yesterday, they are anything but safe right now.

dc 

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:12 AM »
The latest report for Merritt is ice conditions on the Boardman are OK at the moment.  Weekend reports about the ice on the Snake were mostly favorable but the forecast is not at all favorable.  I just spoke with some friends that put a 4-wheeler and a bunch of equipment through the ice into 10 FOW at a lake near Hyannis.  Another report said there was a big area of open water at Clear.  I don't believe I'll try any small waters this year and fishing at Merritt will be on a day by day basis, hopefully with fishable ice on the Boardman through the weekend.  Folks fishing Merritt since this weekend gave me mixed reports on success.   Some found good crappie action on the snake and Boardman while others found the action slow, especially Thurs. thru Sat.  Best action was on Sunday. I hope to fish near Beeds today and will report my findings.

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Bar Party laced with fishing stories?

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:19 PM »
I will make the report, ice is still 12" and riding high although the ice is starting to drop, good and solid, but the next few days it could go from good to not so good. Abundance of Crappie with limits caught by 4 people, size running small with the upper end being 10"+. Doesn't look good at all for the GTG, in my opinion we might as well right it off for next year. Good luck to everyone and stay safe and dry. May be going up again on Thursday will update then if we go.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:28 AM »
I will make the report, ice is still 12" and riding high although the ice is starting to drop, good and solid, but the next few days it could go from good to not so good. Abundance of Crappie with limits caught by 4 people, size running small with the upper end being 10"+. Doesn't look good at all for the GTG, in my opinion we might as well right it off for next year. Good luck to everyone and stay safe and dry. May be going up again on Thursday will update then if we go.
maybe we should have an open water ice shanty gtg lol
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:45 AM »
May be safer.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Sounds like conditions will be iffy.  Maybe we will try to get to this next year.  Thanks for the updated reports.  Happy trails.   DHutt

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I will be the optimist....If the ice holds through saturday the beginning of next week looks promising for holding ice.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:57 AM »
I fished east of Beeds yesterday with Father Jim and Hank the Crank. It may have helped having a priest with us as action on crappies (though on the small side) stayed steady and I caught a limit. Despite warm temps no water collected on top of the 12" of ice we were on. Perhaps Boardman Creek will remain fishable into this weekend. I saw a strip of open water on the main lake around a pressure ridge. Sandbilly said ice in the Snake was deteriorating and he was not comfortable there. Given his long experience I won't recomend the Snake and will advise caution everywhere else.
   As to the Get Together scheduled the 16th-17th;  Given the forecast we'll be fortunate to fish the Boardman thru this Friday or Saturday.  Even with a brief cool down starting Sunday I don't feel ice conditions will be safe for even foot traffic by next weekend.  Could get 3" of snow or more Sunday with lots of wind.  If that happens any refreezing will be minimal and weak spots won't be visible.  Reluctantly, I feel we need to cancel this years West Get Together.  Looking to next year my advice would be to schedule for an earlier weekend.  Last years mid-February event let us fish Merritt on Saturday but the refuge was a washout.  This year looks even worse.  Let's hedge our bets next year and schedule no later than the last of January or first weekend in February (then hope for a mid-march iceout).  Sorry folks I was looking forward to this too.

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:52 AM »

I feel to blame for the late ice schedule.  I threw these dates out expecting the season up there to be similar, if not better than last year.  SO, I am in complete agreement that the west gtg (wherever it will be) should be in January next year.  I was really looking forward to this trip.  Jon, thank you for the honest updates and hope to see you this summer!

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:52 PM »
This was posted on Nov. 19th.     We really do need to move the date for the West GTG into January if we hope to have ice to fish on almost every year.

fishngolf
Team IceShanty Regular

The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!

Re: Hankthecrank, Sandbilly

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:23 PM »

Modify
Remove

Quote from: Mr Merritt on Nov 19, 2012, 12:28 PM

With a couple of the key fishermen in the west GTG not available on the selected weekend and late ice conditions unknown and possibly questionable would the group consider a different, possibly earlier date?  I realize any date chosen may exclude somebody.  Thats pretty much inevitable.  I just hate to see Hankthecrank and Sandbilly not make it as they were really a huge help at the Merritt portion of the GTG.  They loaned equipment and helped many of those not experienced at Merritt with proper tackle and good fishing locations.  Those two individuals were really instrumental on day 1 of the GTG.  As discussed previously, ice conditions at the refuge were not good.  So far my schedule looks ok and I will be happy to host the GTG on any date the group selects.  However, we are pretty early in the process of setting this up so it should be possible and perhaps advisable to revisit the date.

Reply by Fishngolf    Nov. 19th 2012

Those are my thoughts exactly, Sandbilly with his crew and Hank are two of the top fisherman in the area and are always there for anything asked of them. Both of them are great with beginners or any other level of skilled fisherperson.

It would take a lot away from the GTG if one couldn't make it much less both of them.

And as far as the ice conditions, there have been years the refuge was unfishable by the last of January. Hopefully this will turn out to be a longer season than the last one.

We have had our votes and that is what we will stick to but we would all benefit if we could change the date just a little bit.

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:00 PM »
So let's all move the g2g further north.... And east a bit lol.... Lake Thompson sounds good...
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline Wkndbum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I'm heading for Oahe, Akaska area Fri am the 15th.  Bite has been great up there & they have 20+" of ice, just have to watch out for the heaves.

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:05 AM »
So when and where is everyone going to meet? Looks like the ice will hold up.
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Offline icerules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:17 AM »
if we have it and the ice is good at the meritt  tradeing post would be my guess or thats is were I will head one of the mornings
A day ice fishing is always better than a day at work

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:23 AM »
The weather looks good nice and cold at nights and not very warm during the day with the weekend warming up for good fishing. I have not fished Merritt through the ice and looking forward to giving it a go.
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Need to find out how much snow first!

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Need to find out how much snow first!

the way it sounds.... A LOT!  :-\
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:45 AM »
If everything goes as planned I will be heading that way tomorrow and will report

Offline icerules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Thanks hank let us know please would love to go up this weekend or Monday have not decided depends on ice conditions thanks in advance if you go
A day ice fishing is always better than a day at work

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:07 AM »
If everything goes as planned I will be heading that way tomorrow and will report

Thanks hank, would love to get an updated report.

For those that fish the area a lot, are the refuge lakes usually more or less stable than Merritt (as far as gaining or losing ice)? I don't usually head out there this late in the season, but will be passing through and will have my ice gear  :tipup:

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:53 AM »
I just slogged through the drifts to get up to the store.  Hard crusty drifts are wide and over 2 feet deep in my driveway, parking lot, and around our rental cabins. The weather service said there was only 4" of snow in Valentine but it looks like more here at the lake.  Winds gusting to 50MPH really piled it up in places.  My ancient International tractor just doesn't have what it takes to move that much heavy snow.  Actually I think I'll be lucky to get my 4WD suburban to the highway.  I don't have a way to check lake access points like Beeds Landing but I do know that G & P does not plow them. Snow is drifted on the ice as well.  If anyone decides to come up and fish I advise bringing shovels etc. to get vehicles out of the snow drifts.  Doubtful the rock road going up the Snake Arm is passable, even with 4WD.

On the plus side, those fishing Saturday reported fairly decent ice conditions on the Boardman arm (10") and some were also fishing on the Snake (varied 8" to 14") and limits of smaller crappies and some perch were caught.  I had some fishermen go to Clear lake on Thurs. and Friday.  They reported large areas of open water.  The little ice they were able to get on did produce good pike action on tip-ups.  They did not think the ice was safe to go back on Saturday.  Even with the cold temps early this week I would not advise fishing the Valentine Refuge.

As of last week I had no firm reservations for the west GTG and ice conditions were deteriorating.  Given that, I have made other plans with my family and do not plan to have the Trading Post or cabins open the weekend of Feb. 16-17.   For those who decide to come up it looks like ice conditions on the Boardman and possibly the Snake will be fishable but caution is advised, especially on the Snake.  At least one pressure ridge on the main lake had open water around it.  I would steer clear of any main lake areas.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I just slogged through the drifts to get up to the store.  Hard crusty drifts are over 2 feet deep in my driveway and around our rental cabins. The weather service said there was only 4" of snow in Valentine.  I'm guessing a bit more here at the lake.  Winds gusting to 50MPH really piled it up in places.  My ancient International tractor just doesn't have what it takes to move that much heavy snow.  Actually I think I'll be lucky to get my 4WD suburban to the highway.  I don't have a way to check lake access points like Beeds Landing but I do know that G & P does not plow them. Snow is drifted on the ice as well.  If anyone decides to come up and fish I advise bringing shovels etc. to get vehicles out of the snow drifts.  Doubtful the rock road going up the Snake Arm is passable, even with 4WD.

On the plus side, those fishing Saturday reported fairly decent ice conditions on the Boardman arm (10") and some were also fishing on the Snake (varied 8" to 14") and limits of smaller crappies and some perch were caught.  I had some fishermen go to Clear lake on Thurs. and Friday.  They reported large areas of open water.  The little ice they were able to get on did produce good pike action on tip-ups.  They did not think the ice was safe to go back on Saturday.  Even with the cold temps early this week I would not advise fishing the Valentine Refuge.

As of last week I had no firm reservations for the west GTG and ice conditions were deteriorating.  Given that, I have made other plans with my family and do not plan to have the Trading Post or cabins open the weekend of Feb. 16-17.

Very much appreciated

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #56 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:32 AM »
I have a trip up to Poinsett in South Dakota paid for already.  Wish all you guys luck that are still headed to Merritt, be safe, have a good time guys! 

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 11, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Thanks hank, would love to get an updated report.

For those that fish the area a lot, are the refuge lakes usually more or less stable than Merritt (as far as gaining or losing ice)? I don't usually head out there this late in the season, but will be passing through and will have my ice gear  :tipup:

I would advise against ice fishing any refuge lake right now, they open up fairly quick with the underground springs coming into them and expressly this year as low as they are. Merritt will still be good on the Boardman and around through Beeds for a while now that we have some lower temperatures. :tipup:

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2013, 01:58 PM »
I would advise against ice fishing any refuge lake right now, they open up fairly quick with the underground springs coming into them and expressly this year as low as they are. Merritt will still be good on the Boardman and around through Beeds for a while now that we have some lower temperatures. :tipup:

Thanks for the advice/info man, may have to hit up boardman once or twice if I have time. Thanks again

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Anyone have an updated report or an outlook for the weekend?
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.