The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Whats in Quinsig's Deep Water  (Read 6890 times)

Offline als ice traps

• IceShanty Rookie
Whats in Quinsig's Deep Water
« on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Ive fished Lake Quinsigamond and I really havent caught any  fish through the ice. I have caught many different kinds of fish while in a boat / canoe and from shore; however nothing through the ice. I fished there through the ice last year a few times and didnt get any flags. I tried setting flags at many different depths but nothing. I fished from 10 feet below the ice to 1 foot off the bottom of 90' water.  I tried fishing in water  from 20 to 90 feet deep.  I got to believe there are some big fish sitting on the bottom but they are lazy to move for bait becasue of the cold. I know there are big fish in that lake. Ive caught some when visiting my grandfather who lived on the lake. Just cant get one to pull through the ice. Im wondering if anybody has pullled anything from the deep water and what it was. Im going to try again this year  and when I do I will use many different baits and at several depths. Im not asking anybody to reveil their honey holes. Just a few pointers will do and if you would like to E-mail me feel free to do so. [email protected]

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Whats in Quinsig's Deep Water
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have the details . A friend caught a tiger muskie , I believe it was 18 pounds and like 44" long . there used to be a photo of it at the old Montague's bait (spelling?) I do know the area gets deep VERY quick ! Knowing him it was probably not to far down under the ice . just an assumption though . a place like that ,it might be a good idea for a fish finder . I usually fish different depths if in water over 10' deep . 2@ one depth 2@ another depth 1@ another . trial and error my friend . good luck ,catch a monster ! They are in there !  :tipup:

Offline clopes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:25 PM »
If it were me I'd try shallow edge of the drop off. That'd be a starting point and spread a few traps out. What fish are you targeting?

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:09 PM »
My suggestion is try fishing from 3 to 19 ft of water.
 Stay out of the deep water.
MA

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2013, 11:05 PM »
The oxygen level get a lot less in the deeper water ,look up thermocline , pretty intere
sting
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2013, 11:42 PM »
4' to 12' and wait ;)
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:28 AM »
Ive fished Lake Quinsigamond and I really havent caught any  fish through the ice. I have caught many different kinds of fish while in a boat / canoe and from shore; however nothing through the ice. I fished there through the ice last year a few times and didnt get any flags. I tried setting flags at many different depths but nothing. I fished from 10 feet below the ice to 1 foot off the bottom of 90' water.  I tried fishing in water  from 20 to 90 feet deep.  I got to believe there are some big fish sitting on the bottom but they are lazy to move for bait becasue of the cold. I know there are big fish in that lake. Ive caught some when visiting my grandfather who lived on the lake. Just cant get one to pull through the ice. Im wondering if anybody has pullled anything from the deep water and what it was. Im going to try again this year  and when I do I will use many different baits and at several depths. Im not asking anybody to reveil their honey holes. Just a few pointers will do and if you would like to E-mail me feel free to do so. [email protected]
I've lived on the lake for 30+ years... its an extremely varied and complicated topology. There are the usuals, pike, bass, pick, silverbacks, rainbows, crappie etc. etc. (muskies, Ive heard but not seen - I've seen them on Flint so, they are comming from quinsig.) I even pulled out a montyburnsickle

Seriously though if you dont know the lake, it's like fishing CHAUNCY!   >:(
I'll send you an email... I will say this, one of the best places for silverbacks and one of my sweet spots WAS behind the itam club. There was a wicked nice gravel bar that was the exit to the brook and the salmon would cruise that spot all day long. It went from 3" to 30 feet in 30 yards. Well that spot is screwed due to the staging of the new rt9 bridge. Damn it, I'd rather see the bridge collapse!  :%$#!:
A common spot for those who don't know the lake is behind fallon clinic. Its a PIA to get to due to the steep banking but there's some nice trout and salmon in that cove area. It also gets deep 20-30' out in the middle of the cove. Even this place though, you gotta know where to go for whatever your fishing...

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:15 AM »
the lake used to hold alot of smelts but with all the sewage overflows , they are pretty much gone. no smelts , no feed for the big fish.

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:17 AM »
diapers..lots of them :P
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline Scotty D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:55 AM »
I have heard reports of small Lakers getting caught every once in a while? Makes you think, did someone throw a couple small Lakers in there? Or is there a couple big mommas out there???   The one time i fished quinsig, was behind Fallon. and i got spooled twice that day.....
just five more minutes!!! i swear there is one chasing that shiner right now!

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:56 AM »
lakers from the chu no doubt

Offline Scotty D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:59 AM »
Thats what i assume as well. It would be freaking amazing though, to have a place in MA that you can ice fish for Lakers. One can dream lol
just five more minutes!!! i swear there is one chasing that shiner right now!

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:49 AM »
Whats on the bottom? Couple of cars, 55 gal drums of toxic waste, dead bodies, muck and rock. Its a real hidden gem. ;)

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:00 AM »
The oxygen level get a lot less in the deeper water ,look up thermocline , pretty intere
sting

There is no thermocline in the winter, so dissolved oxygen is relatively uniform with depth.  However, I agree that it would be better to target shallower areas near the drop offs to find fish.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Whats on the bottom? Couple of cars, 55 gal drums of toxic waste, dead bodies, muck and rock. Its a real hidden gem. ;)

FRED.... All of that... "but wait. there's more, We'll send you...."
Heres the deal with qunisig, it turns its water (all 772 acres) every 9 to 12 months. It is spring fed (I can watch 3 springs bubble in the summer when the water is like glass, in the bay where I am).
So, the water is tested every year and it is some of the cleanest WATER (operative word) around. The problems start when the bottom gets stirred up by whatever, or when there are torrential rains that overflow the pump stations along the lake (witla at my end), or when people put crap and polutants in the storm drains that flow to the lake. (all storm drains are marked and display warnings).

2 years ago, I watched them pull 5 cars out from the shrewsbury ramp, they said there are more down there. and 3 years ago they pulled 7 out of browny point (hense the barriers that went up)
wouldn't eat indigenous fish outa there, but the salmon and trout that are stocked... no worries. Just know, that if you cut them open and the meat is white, throw them away. they've been in there a while. If its nice and pink?  here's what you get...

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:19 AM »
I got a small tiger musky out of there once but have gotten a lot of nice bass Iwould try ten feet or less of water hope it works for you @)

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:28 AM »
oh, I found this in the lake as well!!!!! (I was looking for the pic)  On my fathers grave...It was over by the old tatassit beach! Obviously, someone threw it in the lake from a tank!  Look how big it grew. the lake sustained this bottom eating sucker!
You'd think it would be green or glowing or something!

Flaggs!

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2013, 12:45 PM »
oh, I found this in the lake as well!!!!! (I was looking for the pic)  On my fathers grave...It was over by the old tatassit beach! Obviously, someone threw it in the lake from a tank!  Look how big it grew. the lake sustained this bottom eating sucker!
You'd think it would be green or glowing or something!
(Image removed from quote.)

Flaggs!
Flaggs did you save it for Porter or Jiggy one of them would eat it I'm sure .It looks a little like Jiggy don't ya think
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Flaggs did you save it for Porter or Jiggy one of them would eat it I'm sure .It looks a little like Jiggy don't ya think
that would be scarey!  Think about the butt bomb that would create!  :roflmao:

Flaggs!

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:34 PM »
 :clap: :clap:
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline striper50trout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:15 PM »

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:29 PM »
What the heck is that thing?
   that is  a sunburn sea robin  from cape cod
May your flags never have the bends

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:32 PM »

Looks like a pleco or armored catfish to me. A lot of people put them in their fish tank to clean it up.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:42 PM »
Oh Baby
With armor protecting it from the polluted water, it might be good to eat as long as the meat is pink. ;D ;D
MA

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:47 PM »
everyone should go to petco and buy as many as they and put them in there ;D

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:06 PM »
well, you asked... here is what my buddies at FWS sent me.  ding ding ding  to Joser  ;D
It's a Pleco!

Hypostomus plecostomus (known colloquially as a sucker fish) is the scientific name for a type of freshwater tropical Central and South American fish belonging to the family Loricariidae. They are large algae eaters, and to differentiate them from small algae eaters, they are often referred to as plecostomus, often abbreviated as plecos or plecs. They are extremely popular in aquariums for their ability to clean tanks by eating algae growth and dead fish. These friendly natured fish can typically be purchased when about 8 cm (3.1 in) and depending on the size of the fish tank, may grow up to 60 cm (24 in). Such larger specimens are impractical for any but the largest aquariums.

Crazy!  You should have seen me when I found it (it was washed up ashore). I was thinking I found this new species in the waters of lake quinsigamond!   They actually told me that people often want to get rid og thier tanks and these things are so hardy, they dont just die like all the other fish (probably why they get rid of the tank  ??? and so people who live on or near water just let them go... I freaked out dude!

Offline striper50trout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I would have freaked out too!
Did you catch him carp fishing? Or using night crawlers?
If that thing slammed a spook or spinnerbait i will never swim in freshwater again.  ;D

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:03 PM »
the lake used to hold a lot of smelts but with all the sewage overflows , they are pretty much gone. no smelts , no feed for the big fish.

I grew up on the lake, mom still lives there. Back 30+ years before they commercialize the Shrewsbury boat ramp the smelt fishing was good. I caught some nice breeders they stocked as well as big pike, typically on smelt. Open water and through ice but was always on smelt. Used to go out of the Worcester side by pump house or by the rte 9 bridge (as Flags stated) for the smelt. Been away for a while but those I keep in touch with are still doing well. Tightlines. Ron
Ron

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:09 PM »
With all this talk about Quinsig maybe we should all get together when it locks up. Shouldn't be too much longer . . . What you guys think?

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Only time I'm fishing deep is for browns or suspended crappies but I did catch a largemouth in 30 feet of water once. Did not expect bass to hit that deep.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.