The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: 7th Anual Bartons Cove Gathering Feb. 2nd  (Read 8900 times)

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
Re: 7th Anual Bartons Cove Gathering Feb. 2nd
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Flagg's,

that's because i figure you have fished every other inch of the cove, with us, and by yourself in 120mph winds, blinding snow, and subzeoro temps. and still haven't found your "Moby Dick"  so i figure he's at the bottom of the Loch Ness II

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #61 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:03 AM »
Ok, we are a week out now so I would like to bounce an idea off those who think they will be there.  The last few years we have had a problem getting people to gather up at one time so we all actually get to meet each other and do the consummate group photo. I came up with an idea that might get people to do this.  I want to hold a FREE raffle at 11:30 at the main camp.  For prizes, I'll ask people to bring something to put on the table and as a winner is called he gets to choose from the table.  We all have some type of gear on the shelf that although a perfectly good item, for what ever reason, you know you will never use.  I personally can think of a pack of high end hooks I have that I know I will never use because I don't throw big plastics.  I also have a new folding chair with a little built in storage thing that is brand new but is about the 8th camp/fishing chair I own and unlikely to ever see action.

I would really like to get people to gather up and say hi for at least a few minutes.  After all that is the point of a gathering.  Otherwise, we are just a bunch of guys fishing the same ice on the same day  ;D

Please chime in with your thoughts.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 26, 2013, 05:16 PM »
like it
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Love the idea. Are you looking for fishing equipment or can I donate a .44 magnum high impact Desert Eagle air soft pistol kit? It's brand new still in the package.

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2013, 05:38 PM »
Love the idea. Are you looking for fishing equipment or can I donate a .44 magnum high impact Desert Eagle air soft pistol kit? It's brand new still in the package.
  I think Obama just outlawed that

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:47 PM »
I like it!!!

Offline xxlpickerel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:04 PM »
I will try very hard to make this one.  Thanks for all the hard work.  The meet-and-greet sounds great.

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:38 PM »
GETTIN CLOSE ! thought i would post these and get everybodys juices flowin'
-first time ever at the 'cove....15 and 11lbs.!

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #68 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:48 PM »
That bottom fish is a classic cove pike.  For what ever reason, the genetics in the area have the pike short and VERY fat for their length.

Looking forward to the weekend already!  Let's go with the raffle/meet idea.  Try to think of something you might be able to put on the table.  I'll try to remember a spotting scope so people can long distance check their tips.

To the lurker I met on Long Pond yesterday, hope to see you.  Find me and introduce yourself.

6 More Days!

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #69 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:57 PM »
That bottom fish is a classic cove pike.  For what ever reason, the genetics in the area have the pike short and VERY fat for their length.

Looking forward to the weekend already!  Let's go with the raffle/meet idea.  Try to think of something you might be able to put on the table.  I'll try to remember a spotting scope so people can long distance check their tips.

To the lurker I met on Long Pond yesterday, hope to see you.  Find me and introduce yourself.

6 More Days!
I too have a spotting scope I can bring. Sounds like a good idea John (capt)! Looking forward to it! !!

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 27, 2013, 07:09 PM »
If he got two in one day I better get at least one more at the cove this year.  Classic skunk today on the toothy type

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Who is bringing what so we don't all bring duplicate items.

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:45 PM »
the more the merry! i've got a couple brand new folding army stools.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #73 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:25 AM »
Who is bringing what so we don't all bring duplicate items.

Well, I suppose that you bring what you have.  In the unlikely event that there is duplication, it just means that two people get that prize.  With that being said, it sounds like we are good on chairs ;D

The weather is actually looking quite nice at this point:

Partly sunny, with a high near 31.

Could we actually have nice weather for a Cove gathering?

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Well, I suppose that you bring what you have.  In the unlikely event that there is duplication, it just means that two people get that prize.  With that being said, it sounds like we are good on chairs ;D

The weather is actually looking quite nice at this point:

Partly sunny, with a high near 31.

Could we actually have nice weather for a Cove gathering?
chairs are good.
funny thing we would always say in the army.." if it aint rainin', we aint trainin' "....hope you didn't jinx us!

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #75 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:06 AM »
chairs are good.
funny thing we would always say in the army.." if it aint rainin', we aint trainin' "....hope you didn't jinx us!

We had a saying in the Air Force "Look at those Funny grunts out there in the rain training"   ;D

We have always had at least a blowing wind and a couple of times dang near snowing gales.  Ya really can't jinx that  :)

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #76 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Dble post

Offline hrlyridr77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Dang... ain't gonna make it.

Dance recital night before, Cub Scout ice fishing the day after. I gotta have 1 day to get everything ready for the Scouts....
Sometimes it's not about the fish, but about the fishin'

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #78 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Great idea. I will find something to bring. Can't wait. It will be my 1st gathering. big scott I have never seen 1st time luck like you had out there last year.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline justinberard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Safe fishing! Flags up!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 28, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Hey guys new to the Shanty this year. Gonna make the trip! Never fished for Pike but what the hell. Never to late to start. Look forward to meeting all of you. My buddy Rick will b out there too.

Flags Up!

Offline Ethan11271

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:50 PM »
Great idea. I will find something to bring. Can't wait. It will be my 1st gathering. big scott I have never seen 1st time luck like you had out there last year.
you shoulda heard him Jay " I don't know what these guys are all b***hing about this pike fishing s**t's easy!" He was playing the 15 lb'er like a guitar! This year he'll be snappin pics of me catching a couple of toothy critters! Can't wait to see you out there. I'm in for the raffle too....
Fish On!!

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:30 PM »
you shoulda heard him Jay " I don't know what these guys are all b***hing about this pike fishing s**t's easy!" He was playing the 15 lb'er like a guitar! This year he'll be snappin pics of me catching a couple of toothy critters! Can't wait to see you out there. I'm in for the raffle too....
                  Its easy at the cove!         
                                                             Step 1,  Walk around camp and find smooshed shiner on ice
                                                             Step 2,  Take smooshed shiner and put him on a tilt that has not had a flag all day.
                                                             Step 3,  Wait one half hour and flag will go up
                                                             Step 4,  Walk briskly (do not run, might fall on arse) tend tilt
                                                             Step 5,  Make sure everyone is around while you pull pike out of hole, and camera is rolling
                                                             Step 6, smile ;D                                                                                                           

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #82 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:59 AM »
I'm putting Paula the Pondie up on the raffle table!

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Maybe Paula the pondie will catch Marty the Pike

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Question ??? Capt. do you think if we get one to two inches of rain , the water level will be back down by sat, Im not worrying about the main ice , just getting on. with the ground frozen solid and no snow to soak up the rain its gonna wash into the rivers. I think it might be an issue in a few places...Not trying to be pessimistic, hoping for the best.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #85 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:08 AM »
The rain really isn't the issue.  The issue is if and when they open the dam.  In 40 years of fishing the cove, I have NEVER not been able to get on in Feb.  What is known as the main entrance gets broken up some times from all the traffic but if you turn North and walk 30 yards to the shady side of the point, it is always locked up.  The only problem might, and I say might, be for a wheeler because that main entrance is the best (but again not only) way to get a wheeler on. 

It was locked solid last weekend and I will put eyes on it tomorrow.  If there is any problem, I will bring my 12 foot loading planks over but I don't think we will need them this year.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:34 AM »
Good to here. Can't wait to see Paula in here best Pike enticing outfit

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:05 AM »
So is this raffle bring something and your entered?   Or are we entered just for being there?

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #88 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:58 AM »
So far, the weather report is still holding!

Partly sunny, with a high near 30.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #89 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:47 AM »
To answer questions from several PM's :

Raffle:

Every one can and should enter the raffle even if they don't have any thing to donate.  I do encourage people to think outside the box for what they might be able to donate ;)  The whole idea is just to get together for a few minutes and put some faces to the names and grab a group photo.  And, you just might win something cool!

Bait:

You will be better off if you can buy your bait the night before.  The only local shop that sells live bait is Pipiones in Turners.  I just spoke with him and his pike bait is only about 4.5" bait but he does have a good supply of them.  You may be able to pick some up on your way in, try calling one of theses.

If you are coming down Rt91. there is
L&L Fence Inc.
45 State Road
Whately
413-665-4981

If you are coming down Rt 2:
Flaggs Bait and Tackle
189 Daniel Shays Hwy
Orange
(978) 544-0034 (dnc)
http://www.northquabbinwoods.org/entries/85

And for some of the best bait in the state
Granby Bait
178 South Street
Granby
(413) 467-7322 (dnc)

I am going to get over to the cove today and put eyes on things.  I'll report later in the day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.