The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Does EVERYONE fish with electronics now?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Does EVERYONE fish with electronics now?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:00 PM »
I don't have one... I'd like one, but have to gather the funds first...

I have no doubt that I'd still do a lot of perching with wooden sticks and big sinkers, but I would like to have one for panfishing and jigging walleyes.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:21 PM »
I hate to even admit this, but if my battery goes dead or flasher stops working I pack up and leave. I usually carry a spare in my truck now so I only have to travel back to shore but unless I can sight fish I wont fish without a flasher or camera. Just the way it is for me, I don't expect or want everyone to be like me, this is totally a personal choice for everyone. I love to be out fishing but I love it better if i am catching fish. I rarely keep fish for myself anymore, if somebody is along that wants them they can have them, otherwise back down the hole they go.

x2

i always have an extra battery in the truck now. once you fish with one..you never want to fish "blind" again.
Henry

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2012, 06:07 AM »
i want one as well a marcum showdown 5.6 ........
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2012, 09:50 AM »
i don't own one, but i want one. the only thing i have to say about them is don't complain about the smaller lakes and ponds being over fished in the next few years when everybody has one

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2012, 10:54 AM »
to not use one is insane...its like not using scent control while deer hunting.

You have to be a young guy, lol.  A whole lot of deer were shot long before scent control, and a heck of a lot of fish have been caught through the ice pre-electronics.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:03 AM »
You have to be a young guy, lol.  A whole lot of deer were shot long before scent control, and a heck of a lot of fish have been caught through the ice pre-electronics.

But I'm willing to bet a whole heck of a lot more have been shot with scent killer, and I can't fathom how many more fish have been caught with the help of electronics.

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 25, 2012, 12:08 PM »

How many deer did you get this yr and when was the last time you caught anything decent on the ice Pat ?
 ;)

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:00 PM »
Just the one deer that I had time for, and the last time I iced anything nice was before the kids were born.  That's been a full time job since their mom died seven years ago at the ages of 3 and 5.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #38 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:20 PM »

I really hope your not trying to call me out on deer hunting...but to think scent control doesnt make you a more successful hunter...well...proof is in the pudding. or should i say my wall? i will be confident on this one ( not cocky) id consider having 7 racked bucks on the wall, 32 deer total at age of 24 says something for scent control and dedication. but what do i know? 

I can post pictures all day... A flasher is just as crucial as scent control....

I can post pictures all day... A flasher is just as crucial as scent control in my eyes....i guess scent control doesnt work either!?!? ???

Henry

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #39 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:22 PM »
But I'm willing to bet a whole heck of a lot more have been shot with scent killer, and I can't fathom how many more fish have been caught with the help of electronics.

X2

Sounds like someone is jealous they dont have electronics...
Henry

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Screw you guys! I'm going to start using a flasher for bow hunting and scent killer when I'm chasing perch! ;D
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:50 PM »
X2

Sounds like someone is jealous they dont have electronics...

Nope, absolutely not.  I have fished with a buddy who had electronics.  Didn't interest me.

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #42 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Nope, absolutely not.  I have fished with a buddy who had electronics.  Didn't interest me.

it doesnt interest you to catch more fish?  lets meet up for a day, you can use my unit...when you catch more fish, I WILL make you a believer...literally it ten-folds your catch. I just dont get how you cannot want to catch more fish!?
Henry

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Not quite, but almost everybody ;D, to me electronics keeps me more mobile I know right away how deep the water is , and if anything is down there. Electronics will not make the fish bite but you will know if they are there!

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #44 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:08 AM »
lmfao wheres camo ninjas comments now lol lmfaooo ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #45 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:10 AM »
I really hope your not trying to call me out on deer hunting...but to think scent control doesnt make you a more successful hunter...well...proof is in the pudding. or should i say my wall? i will be confident on this one ( not cocky) id consider having 7 racked bucks on the wall, 32 deer total at age of 24 says something for scent control and dedication. but what do i know? 

I can post pictures all day... A flasher is just as crucial as scent control....

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.),

I can post pictures all day... A flasher is just as crucial as scent control in my eyes....i guess scent control doesnt work either!?!? ???
bahahahahaa i bet he ate his words after that and nice deer by the way

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #46 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:13 AM »
Thanks buddy!...i work hard for them..and i get quite lucky  ;D
Henry

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:48 AM »
I have electronics and would use if I could figure the dam thing out.   I do feel the fish camera is kind of a pain to lug around.    The hummingbird 45 is a nice looking thing but makes no sense to me.    Of course I shoud spend more time with it trying to figure it out than shouting at it and threating to push it down the hole

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:39 AM »
congrats on the animals. don't turn this into the pissing contest that it isn't.  I own the same set of clothes as what you have on, yet still hunt into the wind, whether I have those clothes on or not.  you guys are twisting things around.  all I am saying is that doing it old school works fine too.  the electronics just aren't for me and was curious as to have prevalent their use was.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:26 AM »
I got a flasher middle of last season.  Took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to use it and the rest is history.  I won't go on the ice without it now.  Do I think I catch more fish?  Probably.  Do I catch 10 times more?  No.  I don't use it because it's a magic way to catch thousands of fish.  I use it because it's fun.  It adds another dimension to fishing that you wouldn't understand until you use one for a few hours. 
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #50 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:32 AM »
congrats on the animals. don't turn this into the pissing contest that it isn't.  I own the same set of clothes as what you have on, yet still hunt into the wind, whether I have those clothes on or not.  you guys are twisting things around.  all I am saying is that doing it old school works fine too.  the electronics just aren't for me and was curious as to have prevalent their use was.

No, you started the pissing match by claiming flashers take away from the experience of ice fishing. You then proceeded to say that ice fishing is more of a job with a flasher.. ::)

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #51 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:44 AM »
Plenty of people fish without electronics, but most of them aren't cruising the web on fishing forums.

FYI, the guy with the smallest nozzle usually wins the peeing contest  ;).

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:24 AM »
 :blink: :sick:  OK!  OK!     Back to the original question.   I've ice fished 3 states for decades and during the last few years it seems as if about 20% of those on the ice were using electronics.   When I am tipups fishing I like to use one jigging while waiting for a flag.  I'm sure that if I only fished tipups I wouldn't invest in a flasher.  A good lake map would do fine.   I don't need electronics to show me fish at locations that I have fished for many years but I love the idea of having a flasher when I'm on a brand new pond. 
Now that I'm retired I can't afford any new gizmos so I hope my flasher outlives me.   On the other hand I'm a deer hunter who loves to sit up against a sunny oak tree and watch the birds and squirrels.   I'm not sure how much deer hunting and ice fishing have in common?

I am sure that a flasher is a super way to get the kids out of the house and on the ice.  I'm afraid they all need some high tech gizmo to get them excited at the beginning.

Dick

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #53 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:34 AM »
:blink: :sick:  OK!  OK!     Back to the original question.   I've ice fished 3 states for decades and during the last few years it seems as if about 20% of those on the ice were using electronics.   When I am tipups fishing I like to use one jigging while waiting for a flag.  I'm sure that if I only fished tipups I wouldn't invest in a flasher.  A good lake map would do fine.   I don't need electronics to show me fish at locations that I have fished for many years but I love the idea of having a flasher when I'm on a brand new pond. 
Now that I'm retired I can't afford any new gizmos so I hope my flasher outlives me.   On the other hand I'm a deer hunter who loves to sit up against a sunny oak tree and watch the birds and squirrels.   I'm not sure how much deer hunting and ice fishing have in common?

I am sure that a flasher is a super way to get the kids out of the house and on the ice.  I'm afraid they all need some high tech gizmo to get them excited at the beginning.

Dick

I guess we (people with flashers) don't see what's wrong with using one to interest a kid into ice fishing. As long as they're ice fishing, and not dealing drugs, boozing, and knocking up the neighbors daughter it's worth it.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:45 AM »
No, you started the pissing match by claiming flashers take away from the experience of ice fishing. You then proceeded to say that ice fishing is more of a job with a flasher.. ::)

Never said that it took away from anything.  If you choose to use them, fine.  I don't.  The original question simply asked how many people do, because I am surprised reading others post's , and viewing their pics, just how many guys do.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:07 AM »
ok, so it's a matter of convenience for some.  Would/could you ever fish without having them by your side? It just seems like it would take away from the experience a bit.  When fishing becomes like more of a job than fun, it's time to hang up the jig stick.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:15 AM »
hmm, ok.  still stand by my statement, they just aren't for me.

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:15 AM »
i never used sent lock clothes always was taught to hunt the wind and was taught to track im old school on that but i still shoot 3-5 deer every year vt nh but they don't come easy  i work for them and hunt every day of the season. them are some nice pic . some people say 10% of the hunters shoot 90% of the deer mabey were just blessed  :)  as for my vex would not go out with out it .as for fishing out the ponds they say a pike has to be 20 years old to reach 15 pounds i know every year 2 come out of carmi that big and bigger  :) 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:20 AM »
I use my camera when setting up tipups.  It allows me to put my bait right where I want it in relationship to the structure I am fishing.  Takes the guess work out of finding the tops/edges of weed beds, condition of weeds, lips of drop offs, rock piles, and other isolated structure.  Gives me confidence that every tipup in the spread is being fished as productive as possible. 

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #59 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:52 AM »
hmm, ok.  still stand by my statement, they just aren't for me.

I respect your opinion. However, I have more fun while using a flasher. I also have put WAY more fillets in the freezer than I ever would have without one.

It's nice to go out and catch a hundred fish a morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.