Author Topic: Taking dog on the ice  (Read 7195 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Taking dog on the ice
« Reply #60 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:49 PM »
My lab likes to lay by the fire even inside a warm house.

I totally agree Kb
"Think of their needs before your wanting to simply have him with you.   They will tolerate almost anything to be with their 'pack'.  Its up to you to look out for them.  Ive seen too many dogs out on the ice freezing, while their owners were convinced they were having fun."

Offline zAc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Glad to read all the different opinion's, Like a lot of people said if i went to a spot that was loaded with people i would have to find another spot. My dog is still a puppy and i know she would at least come over and say hi and try to lick ya. So i will prollie be doing a lot of back pond fishing this year and try to get her groomed for later years when she wont be so spazy.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #62 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Personally I couldn't care if a dog comes over to visit.  I love dogs, I just don't want them peeing on any of my stuff. If you hang out long enough you'll probably end up getting a venison burger off my grill.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Good Sam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Our St. Bernard was a great help last year while trying to fold up a friends hub shelter in 40+ mph wind.  There were 4 of us trying to fold the thing up, but each time 1 of us would pick up a corner, the wind would pick the shelter up, so I called her over and had her lay in the middle.  Problem solved.  Also, my wife has a harness for the dog so she doesn't have to pull her own sled.

Steve

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 14, 2012, 11:51 PM »
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline JonPalma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:28 AM »
I take my dog with my every time I go on the ice, Im not sure who enjoys it more me or him lol.. The first time he was on the leash becuase i didnt know how he would react. Just keep an eye on them and youll be alset. One thing i make sure is done before we leave is cutting his paw hair down so it doesnt ball up.
(his first trip)

Offline percheyes14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:07 PM »
My lab loves to go out on the ice with me.  The only problem I have with her is that she loves it so much she will not stop playing and running around even if she is cold.  If I don't stop her from playing, she will keep going cold or not.  Keep an eye on them for excessive shaking.  I also usually put a neoprene hunting vest on mine for some extra warmth.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Loving the dog/fishing pics... would love more if you guys have them! Maybe we should start another thread specific to not just dogs, but dogs out ice fishing!

I have never brought her fishing, but here she is, Madaket:
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 18, 2012, 01:30 PM »
Loving the dog/fishing pics... would love more if you guys have them! Maybe we should start another thread specific to not just dogs, but dogs out ice fishing!

I have never brought her fishing, but here she is, Madaket:
(Image removed from quote.)

Doctor,

Nice looking point.  Who is she out of?

Offline WI_Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:25 AM »
My bulldog likes going anywhere I go, though he prefers to be warm lol

Here I think he's waiting for the flag to pop more than I am  ;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Doctor,

Nice looking point.  Who is she out of?

yeah, she's got that down pretty good... breeder our of Rochester/Somersworth area. Used to be called Windsong Labradors but I think they moved and have a different name now?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #71 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:12 PM »
looking forward to take my Red Tick mutt hound out on the ice this year!

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #72 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:29 AM »

Be careful of glare ice, our poor dog tore her ACL....very expensive and bad for the dog.....and she was not on the ice when she did it.... :tipup:  Also I guess it is pretty common in dogs.....
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline jhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Assuming you have a calm dog, well-behaved dog, here's some ways i've learned to make my German Shepherd more comfortable on the ice...

Get some foot grips.  The dog may hate them, you may feel stupid putting them on, but i've seen my dog splay out...it's scary on the hips.  If you don't have them you can't use them when you come across glare ice.  The dog even gets nervous walking on glare ice.

If you are portable, get a carpet and find a spot for it in your sled.  My dog is very winterized, but eventually gets wet and gets the shivers if I put carpet direct on the ice.  I put a foam pad or carpet remnant on one side of my 2-manner and she'll curl up all day very comfortably.

Bring a leash, probably 2- one long for outside, one short for in the house.  Even the best dogs seem to have a habit of running over to the biggest (or only) Dog-Hater in the room/lake.  This was very helpful in training her in the portie as well...at first they won't know that they shouldn't wonder over to holes/fish/hooks.  After being tied to her spot on a short walking leash a couple times she learned where her place is.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:14 PM »
i have a short hair dog who loves the snow but eventually gets cold, my shanty is only a 1 man flip over i was wondering if anybody ever tried those dog boots and coat, if it would be worth getting or not

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #75 on: Dec 28, 2012, 01:31 PM »
They don't like boots much, but my mastiffs don't mind their coats.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Outlander_49

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:14 PM »
I have a short-haired dog who gets cold easily, he loves his coat so much that it is embarrassing the way he'll prance around showing it off.  Never tried boots, I would think it would cause him to slip around a lot (not much snow on the ice around here), he uses his claws a lot as evidenced by the scratch marks on the ice.  He spends enough time in the back of my flipover's tub to melt the ice balls that build up between his toes so that helps.  The coat really helps him out when we ride a ways on the atv.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #77 on: Dec 28, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Taking the dog out is great but like in other area usually one or more dogs are on the ice. So if he/she is not friendly to other dogs it can be a nightmare. I have a cattle dog bluehealer-redhealer-germanshepord mix looks like a dingo. Great dog but he can be a prick to his fellow canins so he stays home. I got sick of spending way to much time watching him and not enjoying fishing.

Sooperscooper and frodo the pooch. He not the best bird dog but he like to go.
No one left behind.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.