Author Topic: Indiana Ice Shack Build  (Read 16050 times)

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
Re: Indiana Ice Shack Build
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Worked on windows tonight.  Trimmed out the outside which will be a stop for the panes.

Dry fitted panes with shims and then removed to install a foam bed.

Set pane and shimmed back tight.  Cranked up the heat and waited to see if I get any condensation.

Tomorrow I will set a foam bed and trim out the inside, and then install the vents.  After that all of the mess is done and ready to carpet.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:34 PM »
where did you find the panels like that, they look great to build a shack with.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:26 PM »
They are made by Metal Span and are used for cold storage.  We use them for USDA food production plants.  These were demolished out of a plant and I re-used them.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Looking real nice! Keep up the good work, this build has come along fairly quickly :tipup:

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Thanks I appreciate the comments.  Not much happening last night but some details no worth showing.  Did start the vents.  These are fire sprinkler escutcheons that will be inside and outside.  The inside will have an adjustable flat piece of metal that is held by a small pan head bolt and lock washer, then tightened by a wing nut.  If it works then the vents will all be adjustable.  I also am using these trim rings for the propane and electrical, which is housed outside on a rack.

Tonight I have to install weather stripping around the inside of the door.  Finish screwing off all interior trim.  Mount vents complete.  Clean and wipe off pencil marks.  Then Thursday I should be able to caulk out the inside.

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Nice job ...You are not going to let that baby go when your done...Be like one of the family... ;)

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2013, 01:22 PM »
I know it's gonna be hard to sell it.  But, I am trying to stick to my plan and sell it when I'm on my trip to the best offer, if any.  It's all about the experience of building it anyway.  I can build another one next year.  I'll find out the pro's and con's of it then apply it to next years I think.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:56 PM »
I know it's gonna be hard to sell it.  But, I am trying to stick to my plan and sell it when I'm on my trip to the best offer, if any.  It's all about the experience of building it anyway.  I can build another one next year.  I'll find out the pro's and con's of it then apply it to next years I think.

I was going to do the same thing, fish in mine for a year, sell, and build a new one.  But that was 4-5 years ago now and still fishing out it lol.   Some day will have to build a new one, you do learn the things you want to change improvements you can make.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:38 AM »
That was one of the ideas was to figure out what I did wrong or didn't like.  Where I live, our season is short so I'm not very expereinced on the ice.  Maybe 5 times a year I get out.  So here are the vents I'm making.  I took a sprinkler escutcheon and tapped it for my bolts.  Used lock washers and some lock tite so that it never loosens as the wing nut is loosened to adjust the venting.  I have not yet cut the vent flaps but they will sandwich between the escutcheon and the wing nut.

This forecast has me worried that this thing may have to be taken further north to find safe ice.  After the warm front I'm going to need some advice on ice quality to find a spot to set up for 4 or 5 days.  We have been thinking Houghton starting the weekend of the 19th.  But not sure how their ice really is and how it's going to be then.

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Wow! You are one skilled dude, Mike.  Enjoy that trip!

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Thanks - Here are the hinged bunks.  They are doweled together so they can fold against walls without any framing on the floor.  This gives room for the atv inside during hauling. 

Got all of the trim and joints caulked inside and out.  Finished the vents.  Started exterior trim but got rained out on that.

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Looking great Mike...trip coming soon...looks like it will be great for your trip...can't wait to see and hear about it. ...You or Jake got dibbs on top bunk...might be tough getting down from there after a bender...lol

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:23 AM »
I took my seats from my Frabill and they worked out great just setting on the bottom bunk.  They are very stable and the height worked out right.  They do not have any fasteners so we can easily move them in from the flip when we set up inside the sleeper.  They stow under the bunk too for sleeping, if we do sleep.

Had to tear off the 1/2" foam so the seats don't wreck it.  I will cut another piece and just lay it down to sleep.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:56 AM »
Doing some space planning to figure out where and what type of shelving works best

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:19 PM »
what is that bad boy going to weigh?

Offline Bj1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:49 AM »
sheet metal workers rule!!! Nice build....I did a job last year with the foam wall panel but had no extra and whatever cutoff i had would not have done much. It's funny cuz we talked many days about how that stuff would make a great shanty. Build on brother

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #46 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:14 AM »
The walls are 2" CF24  and the floor is 4" CF45

http://www.metlspan.com/products/cold-storage/cf-mesa-light-mesa-and-partition-wall/load-span-tables/#cf42

2" panels weigh 2.5 lbs / Sf.  4" weight slightly more, say 3 lbs per SF.  Total weight of panels is approximately 945 lbs @ 2.75 lbs per SF. 

Panels 945
Skis 40
Trim 50
Lumber 50
Carpet 10
Screws and Flex flashing 15

Total weight approximately 1,110 LBS

Conventional Lumber and siding would have been much more weight.  The thermal breaks and total seal are extremely tight.  Other than the weather stripping around the door and floor hatches, it's air tight, with exception to the 4 vents.  At 25 degrees outside, I can run my Big Buddy on low for about half hour, and then I have to shut it off.  It's awesome for thermal.  All of the joints and interior trim are foam filled and sealed with NP1 Polyurethane.  There are screws about 6" on center and they are all laid out so they are symmetrical, no random screw patterning.  It's about 400 screws.  All of the trim is bedded with NP1 on the screw line.  Next year's version will however be built in the summer when the bite dies, and the light last longer.  It's also going to be 6' longer and 1' wider.

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #47 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:46 PM »
it is looking great Mike ... looks like you are now ptting the iceing on the cake-- if you decide to sale it - someone is going to get a great unit for the craftsmanship and quailty of that unit...

Offline Nanner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ...Ice On...
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:47 PM »
Did you ever decide a final maiden voyage location?

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2013, 01:02 PM »
I think around Curtis in the UP leaving on the 30th weather permitting.  Seems like alot of the feedback I've gotten from those folks up there leads me in that area.  Getting really anxious to get going that's for sure.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #50 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:02 AM »
Got the shelving completed.  It all hinges down for stowing.  The stove top easily removes also.  I lined all of the edges of the shelving with pipe insulation.  The upper shelf is 10' and 14" wide and is fixed, not hinged.  I plan to use that for storing clothes and sleeping bags etc.  There is a shelf above the stove for cooking stuff and water jugs.  Made window shades with rubber roofing and a piece of velcro.  Added a rubber skirt on the ends to keep down drafting from under the shack.  Using rubber skirt around both fish boxes also.  Exterior trim and relectors are done, just too dark to take picture last night.  Exterior is finally 100%.  It got down to 9 outside and windy and it was around 75 inside.  Zero condensation or sweating inside.  In fact, my big buddy ran on low the whole time and it got too warm.  When I add my fans that might make it a bit more comfortable.  Naturally the floor was cold and the ceiling was hot.  I built a urinal through the wall that has a bucket on the outside.  Working on the lighting next.  I have 4 led lights.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Looking good! Thanks for the update :icefish:

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2013, 05:30 PM »

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:42 AM »
I don't know what to say.  The attention to detail, use of quality materials and overall design iss just amazing to me.  I don't think I'd have it in me to sell her.

- ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:09 AM »
Thanks a lot for your comments.  I have put a lot of time and thought into it, just ask the wife lol.  I am selling, if I get a legit offer that is.  I have bigger and better plans taking over now and this one is just the start.  If I get a legit offer, the wife will not see it arrive back in Indiana.  I am very attached to it as you can tell, but every time I consider not selling I revert back to my plan of replacing it for next year.  The pictures don't do it justice IMO, you have to see it in person.  I'm proud of it no doubt and I used the best I could get to construct it.  It's cool to see my kids help and it's nice to re-use discarded materials in a functional and efficient way.  I based everything off of what I had so that I could maximize the product and still not break the bank.  It's not overly customized where someone wouldn't be able to simply make their changes easily.  Other than the lettering that has to be attached on the outside walls and my stove, the rest is just a blank canvas.  The shelving can be moved or removed.  It will make a good and secure storage shed for all of the ice gear on the off season too.  If the skis don't work as I expect, or don't work for the new owner, they can be detached with 8 lags easily.  I'm about done now; I have finished all of my cutting and drilling inside so I feel good about installing the carpet and then the fish boxes.  The boxes have to wait until the carpet is laid because I want the pattern to match throughout.  I appreciate the PM's, comments and suggestions guys.  And I don't care what the offers have been; I'm not offended at all.  I did say in the advertisements offers welcome, which they are!  I am just itching to ice an eye at night through this thing.  Our trip just got shortened by 1 day so instead of going to Curtis, I need to find a lake south of the bridge.  Any suggestions appreciated on a lake for eyes, pick and perch.  Thanks

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Got the boys out to help after work today.  No heat but they bundled up and used shop vac to get the place cleaned up and ready for the carpet.

Rolled out the carpet and put down 2x4's that lag through into the skis.

The lags have these clips on them so that I can tie down the ORV inside to travel.  Should keep them secure.

Put some screws through the 2nd 2x4 that grabbed the carpet and used some scrap to stretch it before I lagged it down.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Is that a urinal in the wall?

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #57 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:19 PM »
It is

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:14 AM »
Great build man! Thanks for all the eye candy :icefish:

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2013, 05:07 AM »
the urinal! haha!

nice looking shack man!
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.