The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing the Snowies!  (Read 4509 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Fishing the Snowies!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:59 PM »
How big do the goldens get up there do you know?

Offline jritten

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Hey guys, first of all, good info here. I'm new to Laramie, and was wondering once the road closes is there any more access to the alpine lakes, or am I stuck with the plains lakes the rest of winter?

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2012, 03:39 PM »
just by snow machine as far as I understand. The vast majority of people stick with the plains lakes or the Curt Gowdy lakes. Welcome to the addiction.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline 307_bows

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2012, 07:56 PM »
How big do the goldens get up there do you know?

The ones that i have seen were not real big, but that was the summer before last. I would guess some where around the 12 inch mark.
You can take the boy from Wyoming, but you can never take Wyoming from the boy.

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:18 AM »
The goldens in our neck of the woods are pretty small.  Bear lake on the northwest side of Libby flats also has goldens.  After the roads close the best way to get to it is to head straight south of Greenrock picnic area.  Its a least a mile from 130, maybe a couple!  I have fished it during the summer, but never in the winter.  Bear also has browns and brookies. 

As for ice fishing once the road closes about your only option on the mountains is Hanging lake, bad parking area, hike into Owen, or sled into one of the alpine lakes.  The alpine lakes become less and less of an option as the winter progresses due to the depth of snow and ice.

For options of ice fishing around Laramie there are a lot of lakes!  Alsop, Sodergreen, Haiti, Twin Buttes, Gillete, Meebor, Leazenby, the walk in reservoir that Johnson creek flows into, Seminoe, Johnson Reservoir near Sybille, Wheatland 2, East Allen, Upper North Crow, Middle North Crow, Granite, Crystal, Hanging, Stock pond near Wagonwheel.  Thats a lot of choices!  There are other private lakes around as well if you know the right people.  Good luck out giving them a go.

Offline jritten

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline allornothing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 24, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Went up to Owen yesterday for a few hours and caught a few fish including 16" and 14" brookies.  Pretty nice day out and the ice was around 4".

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 24, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Can you still drive to Owen right now (or close)?  I was thinking of making the trip up from Northern front range CO.  I've already hit some of the early ice spots here and I'm looking a change.  Thanks.

Offline allornothing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 24, 2012, 07:31 PM »
Can you still drive to Owen right now (or close)?  I was thinking of making the trip up from Northern front range CO.  I've already hit some of the early ice spots here and I'm looking a change.  Thanks.
We went to Owen via Albany and on our way out we found out that the forest service gate to Owen was closed.  The roads weren't too bad to travel over.

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Yeah, the road from the Sheep Mountain side is closed right now.  You can access Owen via Albany and there is very little snow on the roads.  The roads are very slick so be careful.  Friend of mine hit it today and they only caught one rainbow and brookie.  Worth the trip thats for sure.  We hit Rob Roy, but I will be posting in that thread.   :)

Offline Nhurley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2012, 03:18 PM »
Anyone know how long the hiway will be open over the Snowies? I was guessing it would be open till around the first good snow but wasn't sure if they actually set a date or not. Am looking forward to doing some hard water fishing this weekend and wanted to try and make a plan. I suppose if the road is closed by then I can at least get on Owen!

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:52 PM »
i work for wydot, i think but do not know for sure, if the plows can keep it open they will but i80 take priority. if its snowing too bad they will probably close it and that will be that.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Nhurley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Sounds good, were gonna go up and try to get in that one last trip tomorrow. Hopefully we can make it to rob roy, mirror, or something up that way if not I am sure you will be able to find us out on Owen. Thanks for the info!

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:37 AM »
how far is the walk to the shelf lakes??

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:35 AM »
how far is the walk to the shelf lakes??

Now that the road is closed I would say you 3-4 miles?  I think that is an optimistic estimate.  You pretty much need a sled to get in there now.  Problem is there is not enough snow for snowmobiles.  I think you would be better off trying to get to Bear lake.  Even then you better know where you are going so you don't end up being a search and rescue story.

Offline Nhurley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 10, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Went up Saturday and wanted to fish high, however they closed the road over the top on us some time the night before! However we went to Owen and absolutely pounded large brookies! It was incredible, fished on about 6-7'' of good clear ice. The inlet is still open however ~100yds away is 6" of ice. It was a great first trip. We were able to get a truck all the way to the lake via Albany, however the snow was really coming down and I am not sure if it will be possible to get a truck down there again this year. If you do make sure you bring 2 trucks or chains!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.