Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Which Shelter  (Read 5869 times)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: Which Shelter
« Reply #30 on: Oct 27, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Buster, sheels in wdm is stocking an otter this year and the sale guy I talked to said he could get any one you wanted within a week or so. I am strongly thinking about a clam one man for a light run and gun setup fornwhen I'm alone.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Oct 27, 2012, 08:01 PM »
Clam Corp has done a great job fixing the issues that have encountered.  Clam also offers the best warranty on the market.  Also there customer service rocks.

I agree 100% on their customer service it does rock and they have been great about replacing or fixing all the problems I've had with the stuff I've purchased in the last few years but the problem is they replace it with the same junk. I am happy with the socks and some of the clothes I've bought but everything else I've bought from them has been a bust or semi bust. (JIg boxes falling apart, bad bolts, 4 pairs of leaking boots) Good customer service doesn't help when you have wet feet and your shelter is falling apart on you on the ice. Some like em skinny and others like em thick I drive a GMC and like spicy food point being that it all boils down to preference and what you like. I like otter cause I've zero trouble with the products I've bought from them and you don't really hear about their customer service and how great it is.

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 31, 2012, 09:26 AM »
After reading all of the posts here and getting it down to 1 Frabil and 1 Clam shelter, I think I'm going to go with the Clam.

Scheels has a model called the Explorer.  I've called Clam to ask about this model since they do NOT have this listed on their website.

I was told the Explorer is comparable to the Voyager model, but a little better quality.

I found the Explorer has WAY better support bars (twice the diameter/strength) as anything else, and there is a new latch system that makes this super quick to collapse.  While it is not thermal, it does have the 600 denier fabric. $499.

Anyone else have this shelter?

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Dude the newer Frabill's are pretty solid IMO, I've been in some pretty harsh wind in mine and it was just fine! Poles the same size as the clams, the sleds are lighter and easier to use.

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 01, 2012, 08:33 AM »
The explorer has 1 1/4" poles...........the rest of their models have 7/8" poles.  Not sure about Frabil

Weights are very similar in both lines.

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2012, 05:31 PM »
The explorer has 1 1/4" poles...........the rest of their models have 7/8" poles.  Not sure about Frabil

Weights are very similar in both lines.

I have the Clam Explorer, it is a quality shack. I bought it last year because I couldn't pass up the $399 sale tag Scheels had on it... it is one HEAVY SOB but it is roomy. Unfortunately I have never had it on the ice, only in the garage and the basement. I bought that shack for when my kids go with me on the ice, I also will pull that shack with a snowmobile so weight wasn't a huge factor for me.

I will tell you that Frabill has the best seating system out there IMO. You can position the seats any way you like or take a seat out anytime you like.. the Clam seats are bolted in (though you could modify them not to be).

I've always had Frabill shacks and loved them, but last year I won a Kenai and got such a good deal on the Explorer I decided to give Clam a try. I like the Kenai, though I had hoped it would pull easier for its size. I think I will like the Explorer too, just hope we get some good ice this year so I can get the kids out with me. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with a Frabill, but I think the two Clam shacks I have will treat me well too.

Talk to the guys at Scheels, I bet they run that Explorer on sale on Black Friday and I bet they throw in a travel cover for it... they did last year.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 01, 2012, 10:16 PM »
I bought a clam explorer for this year and it seems good and big I have installed led lights on switches and many other things to it . I am now hoping to get to use it soon . I have 3 different portable shacks one is a command post by clam its big enough for family and like it very well and also have a shapple suitcase 3 person but dont use it much because I like my explorer so well  ;D ;D ;D Hope this answers your question
Never to many short poles

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:36 AM »
$399??!!! It's listed for $499 now.  Scheel's has their 5 points per $ on right now and $25 off purchases over $250. 

But it would be cheaper and get a $60 cover if they would put that on Black Friday again.........that's a crapshoot though.

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:30 PM »
$399??!!! It's listed for $499 now.  Scheel's has their 5 points per $ on right now and $25 off purchases over $250. 

But it would be cheaper and get a $60 cover if they would put that on Black Friday again.........that's a crapshoot though.

PM sent

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.