Author Topic: 2013 Ice Fishing Preperations  (Read 13854 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: 2013 Ice Fishing Preperations
« Reply #30 on: Jul 01, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Maybe because you have to many in  a small jar with no aeration on them????
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #31 on: Jul 01, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Maybe because you have to many in  a small jar with no aeration on them????

just brought em home...they were probably in the jar no more than 15 min.......now there in a "bait box"..
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #32 on: Jul 01, 2012, 03:20 PM »

Doesn't take long for that many fish to suck the oxygen out of the water.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Jul 01, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Especially if there sitting in the heat.....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #34 on: Jul 01, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Just got an old metal dog sled for behind the wheeler/snowmobile... I need to strip her down, repaint and build a removable plywood box for her. I also need to get the sled tuned up and running better this year.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #35 on: Jul 02, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Just got my 2x12 new runners (new to me) that I need to install onto the bob house.

Maybe this weekend if I get some time......

Nice Job Tippin! Can never plan too early. Try some of your shiners from you kayak, see how they do.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #36 on: Jul 03, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Just got an old metal dog sled for behind the wheeler/snowmobile... I need to strip her down, repaint and build a removable plywood box for her. I also need to get the sled tuned up and running better this year.

I'd be happy with enough snow to use the sled! I only put on 7 miles last year!!!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Just got my 2x12 new runners (new to me) that I need to install onto the bob house.

Maybe this weekend if I get some time......

Nice Job Tippin! Can never plan too early. Try some of your shiners from you kayak, see how they do.
Hello, how much power do you get out of the solar panels? nice thread, got all my chores done last year, so I'm good to go. need ice first >:(

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #38 on: Jul 13, 2012, 09:25 PM »
Hello Winnisquam Guy!

Just got back from St. Lous, MO business trip....and reading your post.

I have two 15 watts connected together = 30 watts. Typically it is enough to charge a marine battery during the week so I have enough juice to run a FM car radio, LED lights & fish finder...all day Saturday and Sunday....sometimes I connect up the underwater camera when my portable batteries die too with out problems. There are times when I  cusk fish during the week too.

When I plan on staying the weekend, the weekend prior I take my marine battery home and charge it up during the week to make sure it is fully charged. I also take a 2nd marine battery and hook them together: Positive to Positive & Negative to Negative....for more capacity. Hooking them up Positive to Negative would give me 24 volts which I'm not interested in....I'm after more storage cause I'll be running lights, fish finder, radio over a longer period of time. It's best too to do things like run candles during the night, using LED lights etc....just to save juice. At night your not recharging your batteries, just sucking juice.
It's best to conserve where ever you can just to be on the safe side. It sucks running out of juice.

Hope this helps.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #39 on: Jul 15, 2012, 02:59 PM »
i was at my brothers house yesterday, chit- chattin' and kickin' stones around the drive-way. well he has a little fabrication shop, and i saw some alumn.
tubing in his scrap pile..i said "hey i got a cool idea....what do ya think?"........this is what we came up with........

ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

surflizard

« Reply #40 on: Jul 15, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Sweet lookin auger rack TIPPIN, Well Done !

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jul 15, 2012, 05:30 PM »
saw some concrete mixin tubs at the depot the other day. one about 30x42 and another about 20x24. i think ill buy both and turn the smaller one into a tip up sled, and make the other into my new run and gun sled! hard plastic tubs that should last, undecided if i should put skis on them or not yet
USE A BOBBER!

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jul 15, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Nice rig Tippin...Can't get here soon enough.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #43 on: Jul 16, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Good job tippin. Come on ice. @)

Capt. Black

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #44 on: Jul 28, 2012, 05:45 AM »
Have the box built 50% on my ice sled. Will post all pictures once she is done. When do you guys usually rip out your snomobiles and tune them up? I havn't started them all summer.

surflizard

« Reply #45 on: Jul 28, 2012, 05:51 AM »
I fire up the augers and the sled once a month during the off season and they run so much better for it now ! :thumbsup:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #46 on: Jul 31, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Good thinking Surf!

I should do the same.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Aug 01, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Going to check out a gas auger tomorrow. Supposedly "only used once". Then it's time to start rebuilding the 8X8. Is the ice locked up yet? ;D

Capt. Black

surflizard

« Reply #48 on: Aug 01, 2012, 04:18 PM »
I don't know if this will help ya Capt, but there are 9 Yellow Ash tree leaves on the back lawn ! ;)2

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #49 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Too funny!!!

Still cracking up!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:53 PM »
I don't know if this will help ya Capt, but there are 9 Yellow Ash tree leaves on the back lawn ! ;)2
Thanks Surf. That sent "CHILLS" up and down my spine. ;)

Capt. Black

surflizard

« Reply #51 on: Aug 01, 2012, 07:17 PM »
What ever it takes, Aye Captain !!! I know the doubting Keith's, Oops, Thomas's will show up eventually so I offer this photo as evidence !

Exhibit A : ;)2

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Aug 01, 2012, 08:08 PM »
What ever it takes, Aye Captain !!! I know the doubting Keith's, Oops, Thomas's will show up eventually so I offer this photo as evidence !

I will admit this is my least favorite time of year to fish! Its too HOT and the recreational boaters arew out in full swing  ::)

BUT! Just Because there's NO ICE yet... It Doesnt mean I can't GO FISHIN!  ;D

My Dad always said " Ya Never Know what tomorrow will Bring?"
Enjoy the present day and dont worry/think about the future because ya never know?

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Aug 02, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Surf, that's a "whole lot more" than 9 leaves. You better get LLT out there raking. ;D The auger ended up being a 10" Jiffy (not sure what year). Ran on the second pull and Newfound rang with the sound of it. So I payed the man $50 and promised to let him use it whenever he comes up. Not locked up on the Dark Side yet. ;)

Capt. Black

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #54 on: Aug 02, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Nice Capt. Black!

What color Jiffy? White or Yellow?

Either way you didnt go wrong.

For next year, I have a new (used) underwater Atlantis Camera.....I'll keep this one as a spare (in case somethig happens to my existing Atlantas Camera) unless someone needs to use it while attending the Circus.

Cant wait.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #55 on: Aug 02, 2012, 09:05 PM »
i was at my brothers house yesterday, chit- chattin' and kickin' stones around the drive-way. well he has a little fabrication shop, and i saw some alumn.
tubing in his scrap pile..i said "hey i got a cool idea....what do ya think?"........this is what we came up with........

I'm under the school of thought that the power head should always be supported on an auger rack, I just cringed when I used to put my auger on a setup similar to this, and the power head would spin around......  I moved to the Mad Dog auger rack for that reason.

I have tons of things I should do, and no money to do them unfortunately.  Really want to get a new perm shack built sometime soon, one that will double up as a sturgeon dark house, somewhere in the 6x10 range in size.  My biggest issue right now is deciding on what frame system to use, whether to just go on skis, or drop down wheels.  Money might be my deciding factor here on this one.  Skis are simple and cheap, where as drop down axles and frame can get complicated and expensive in a hurry.  Other problem is getting a trailer to transport a shack on if built on skis.  What to do, what to do....... :-\

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Aug 02, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Sturgeon dark house? Is that a spearing thing? Just curious. Saw stuff about "dark house spearing" before.

So I need to go pick up my 10" Jiffy Legend (yellow) tomorrow, so it can sit beside the (white) 8" Jiffy Model 30. Welcome to the Jiffy club, Capt! Let's have a Swiss cheese race this winter!  ;D

SHE who dies with the most augers wins.  ;)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline whitey5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Aug 03, 2012, 04:26 AM »
My only wish is ice and lots of it!!!!

surflizard

« Reply #58 on: Aug 03, 2012, 06:45 AM »
Wow Guinea, you must really like ice fishing or something huh ? It sure sounds like you really have a bad case of Moreaugeritous ? :whistle:

Great scores folks ! :thumbsup:

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:52 AM »
Picked up a Vex FL-8 SLT with the pro pack from a guy for $85 that he said was only used about 3 times...I know it's an older unit but thought it was a great deal...after I pay him he says "you need an auger?" Before I can even answer he points to a minty Model 30 and says "I'll give it to you for $20 right now." I couldn't get the money out fast enough...he fired it up on the 2nd pull, although I would have taken it even if it hadn't started.  ;D  ;D  ;D

So, I just put a charge on the flasher and camera batteries and am in the process of giving the Jiffy a once over. Set the hub shanty up for another air out this weekend...now, just waiting on ice  ::)  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.