Author Topic: Costco Humminbird ice35  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Re: Costco Humminbird ice35
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:33 AM »
Hello Mr. Layne...ive tried both...either way in 16fow that lure should show up as a thin line when the gain is down and a thicker line when the gain is up. Im directly  below the ducer and have the gain all the way up and only see a slight flicker of thin green line...mostly not showing up at all with the odd flicker of green. Next time out im going out to deeper depths to see what happens. I wonder if there is some type of callibration to adjust these in behind.

Call humminbird, being you bought it from costco it should hopefully be under warrenty. My guess is you have a bunk transducer but its hard to say for sure, either way HB should take care of you as they have good customer service. Pretty lame that costco would sell refurbs at a blow out price without stating anything, I havent heard of anybody having a problem with a 35 outside of theses costco units. 200$ is just too cheap, even for costco.

And hurry and send me a damn fishing report! Your probably slamming them up there.

Cheers

Layne
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Hello Mr. Layne...ive tried both...either way in 16fow that lure should show up as a thin line when the gain is down and a thicker line when the gain is up. Im directly  below the ducer and have the gain all the way up and only see a slight flicker of thin green line...mostly not showing up at all with the odd flicker of green. Next time out im going out to deeper depths to see what happens. I wonder if there is some type of callibration to adjust these in behind.
You mentioned a five of diamonds, which hangs pretty vertical.  I find that some lures with more of a vertical presentation require the gain to be cranked up to show up on any flasher.  Comparitively, a micro jig that hangs horizontal (parallel profile with bottom) will show up much easier.  Do you see the same results when using a more 'horizontal' presentation?
Tight lines

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:54 AM »
took the words outta my mouth theDL, good call. 

pretty lame deal from costco if they were in fact refurbs.  i was a little curious when my buddy's didn't come with a manual, but it does seem to work fine.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:58 AM »
If its hanging directly below the transducer there is a problem, 70% of the time im using a PK with no bait and my gain is usually set between 16-22 depending on depth. Something aint right.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:14 AM »
You mentioned a five of diamonds, which hangs pretty vertical.  I find that some lures with more of a vertical presentation require the gain to be cranked up to show up on any flasher.  Comparitively, a micro jig that hangs horizontal (parallel profile with bottom) will show up much easier.  Do you see the same results when using a more 'horizontal' presentation?
Like i stated before....my vex in 80fow will pick up a very small treble with a small trout pellet tied inside a nylon stocking....with a small splitshot just above. We are talking 16ft. here boys. That vertical 5 of diamonds should and would show up on my vex like a small fish with the gain on maybe, 2

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:16 AM »

pretty lame deal from costco if they were in fact refurbs.  i was a little curious when my buddy's didn't come with a manual, but it does seem to work fine.

none of them came with manuals other than the instructional dvd...did it come with the dvd?
Layne....did yours come with paper manual booklet when you bought yours couple yrs ago?

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Best Bang for you buck besides the showdown of course.

Showdown is a piece of junk, just for the record.  comparing it to a flasher is like comparing Carmen Electrica to Rosie O'Donnell. 
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:29 AM »

I didnt get a manual for my 35 or my 55, not sure whats up with that. I was really surprised to see that my buddies LX7 didnt come with one either, thoses things arent quite as simple to figure out.

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Are you saying that all versions of the Showdown are junk?  The troller, 5.6, or 5.6 dual beam?  I can see the color spectrum being a good reason why to go with a flasher.  Any other reasoning there?

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Oh, and I guess that is off topic.  Sorry...

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:58 AM »
i am curios too basdif
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:00 PM »
 the 35 did come with a dvd but my 55 came with both dvd and paper manual, definitely prefer the hardcopy personally.

i've never had the gain on my 55 above 22 even fishing tiny perch jigs or deep for lakers.  better get on the phone adi.

as for the showdown, i can appreciate the idea but wouldn't want to be without all the colors of my bird.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Any other reasoning there?

The showdown is built and looks c-h-e-a-p.  If I wanted that kind of display id take my 1995 Eagle fish finder off my boat.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:21 PM »
curious if u have tried a showdown tim?
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Got my Showdown a few years ago. Liked it at first thought it did it's purpose. A couple years ago sent it back for an upgrade. Now I absolutely LOVE IT..

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:52 PM »
My buddy bought a showdown troller this year and he didn't like it.  The separation just wasn't there on the bottom.  You had to raise your hook quite a bit before you could distinguish it from the bottom.  Not sure how that compares to the big showdown though. 

Offline Big H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Save yourself the hassle of dead batteries and interference , get a vex!
Marcum old buddy!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.